Podcast Lounge Windows Phone app update

JulietPurcell

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Thrilled to see there's going to be new update for Podcast Lounge (to version 2.0). I use this app a lot on my Lumia 520, and it should improve a lot of its features, including the mysterious sticking volume problem when switching between podcast apps/other media playing.

You can read about the new update here, together with log of new/updated features.
Podcast Lounge about to hit the big 2.0, smart playlists and much more

Thanks to Steve Litchfield's article for this link.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Podcast Lounge Windows Phone app updating to v. 2.0

That's great to hear the app is getting updated.

Are there any special features of Podcast Lounge that makes it better than other podcast apps?

JulietPurcell

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

Not used any other podcatcher apps on Windows Phone, being a newcomer to the platform myself. I listen to a few Windows Phone podcasts, and Podcast Lounge seems to be widely regarded as about the best app for podcast-listening generally.

For myself, I love the layout in Podcast Lounge (though hoping I'll be able to sort downloaded podcasts by date order (rather than just a-z, as at present) in this upcoming version update), range of podcasts & searching facility is very good also.
:smile:

JulietPurcell

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

Anyone else using Podcast Lounge or indeed any other podcatching app on Windows Phone? What other similar apps are you using & why do you use that particular one?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Not used any other podcatcher apps on Windows Phone, being a newcomer to the platform myself. I listen to a few Windows Phone podcasts, and Podcast Lounge seems to be widely regarded as about the best app for podcast-listening generally.

For myself, I love the layout in Podcast Lounge (though hoping I'll be able to sort downloaded podcasts by date order (rather than just a-z, as at present) in this upcoming version update), range of podcasts & searching facility is very good also.
:smile:
Great review!

II'll have to check out this app.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

JulietPurcell

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

I'll give Podcast Critter a try, looks good.

Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_327 using Tapatalk

JNaDa

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

I tried Podcasts! Didn't really like it. Podcast Lounge is the first (and only) app I actually purchased on either iOS or WP8 (I had an iPhone for five years). I definitely suggest giving it a test. My favorite new feature thus far is the playlist feature: enabling the ability to create a list of episodes from various podcasts and play them all one right after the other. They also have some default playlists that are "smart", and you can create your own "smart" playlist based on certain criteria.

I'll give Podcast Critter a look. From the App page, it looks to be promising.

panheid

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

From what I've heard, Steve will be updating this article soon to account for updates and new apps, such as Podcast Critter. You might want to wait until the info is up to date. :)

El Sparrow

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently trying out Podcast Lounge, and its ok.

Just wondering, the other couple of days a podcast froze on me, and the app wouldn't work until I shutoff and restarted my phone (Lumia 520); overall Podcast Lounge appears to be the most likeable podcast app among the other 3 I've tried. All four of these podcast apps had some issues, like occasional error messages and crashing.

Anybody else having such issues with podcast apps? This is my first smartphone, and I've actually been pondering switching over to Android.

El Sparrow

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Just curious, what other apps did you try? I've had some issues with all I've tried as well.

iPodcast, Podcatcher, and PODCASTS!

Podcast Lounge is ok so far, but I'm still noticing a issue. I wish there was something really simple yet powerful to use.
I will start trying out Podcast Critter, just recently updated to v1.4 last week.

panheid

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
iPodcast, Podcatcher, and PODCASTS!

Podcast Lounge is ok so far, but I'm still noticing a issue. I wish there was something really simple yet powerful to use.
I will start trying out Podcast Critter, just recently updated to v1.4 last week.

Knock on wood, but I've been having really good luck with Podcast Critter 1.4. The dev is super responsive, too.

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have issues with the app where you have a large number of downloaded episodes? I recently found a history podcast and subscribed to it. Over 500 episodes which took an age to download but are now all on my SD card. Thing is even though I've got the app set to filter on downloaded episodes only (deleting ones listened to) and oldest first it takes an age to show all the episodes each time I open the podcast from favourites. Almost two minutes. The list then jumps to the bottom where the newest ep is and I have to scroll aaaaaallll the way up to the top to get to the oldest. It then takes another 30 seconds to start the episode and often bombs out. Additionally when listening to a podcast from this subscription the app doesn't show in multitasking by hitting the back button so you have to be very careful not to come out of the app or you've lost it and have to start again. No other subscriptions do this. I understand it's a lot of backlog but its all on the SD card, why does the app struggle with this so much? Each and every time it has to update podcast feed but the episodes are already on the SD card. Other than that I love the app and had no issues but it just can't seem to cope with a large amount of episodes in one subscription.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss