Apps like Instagram stop streaming audio

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Is there anything that can be done to keep apps (like Instagram) from stealing the "audio focus" away from music streaming apps?

My wife is getting increasingly frustrated by having streaming music she listens to STOP playing when she starts Instagram on her 1020.
Why would a seeminly non-audio app like Instagram stop music from playing in another app? And the problem is, she listens to a Vancouver radio station that adds commercials at the beginning of the stream, so everytime she gets interrupted, she misses the song AND has to sit through commercials all over again.

Thanks for ideas.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hearing this for the first time with Instagram! I know apps like Whatsapp and certain games use audio API. I don't think there is any work around for this unless within the app there is an option for permissions. I don't use instagram app so wouldn't know if there are in app settings.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to check out what happens with Instagram notifications the next time I stream Nokia Mix Radio +.

I haven't noticed any interruptions so far, but I don't get a lot of Instagram notifications.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to check out what happens with Instagram notifications the next time I stream Nokia Mix Radio +.

I haven't noticed any interruptions so far, but I don't get a lot of Instagram notifications.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Hi. Just to clarify, it's not Instagram notifications that causes the streaming music app to stop. She gets those fine. It's when she STARTS the Instagram app itself. Going into Instagram causes the music to stop playing.

You should be able to test that easily. Start streaming something from a radio app or music app (I say streaming because she doesn't have any local music, but I would guess even playing local music on the device would stop also) and then start Instagram and see if your music stops.

Thanks.

techcorestudio

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 and whenever I stream any music from my phone and open the Instagram app it does not stop my music. I don't know why it would be happening to hear but it doesn't do it with me.

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 and whenever I stream any music from my phone and open the Instagram app it does not stop my music. I don't know why it would be happening to hear but it doesn't do it with me.

Apparently, there is more to it than what I was told. I tried it on her phone and merely starting Instagram doesn't stop the music. Nor does it on my 1520. So, I need more detailed info from her.
I'll post back.

JNaDa

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Does instagram app now support videos? If so that may be the cause.

^This. I just tested it. I scrolled down a bit and a video started playing, killing my music. There isn't a way to change this as far as I know (I looked through the settings). Since the Instagram app is still in BETA you may have a chance of getting an option for that if you contact them about it.

lancorp

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
^This. I just tested it. I scrolled down a bit and a video started playing, killing my music. There isn't a way to change this as far as I know (I looked through the settings). Since the Instagram app is still in BETA you may have a chance of getting an option for that if you contact them about it.

Thanks for the info. Did you notice if the video had to be visible on the screen to stop the music from playing, or was just the fact there was a video further down the scroll enough to stop your music from playing? Did the video start playing by itself? Once in view, or even if further down the screen?

Sorry for all the questions, but trying to get an idea.

Thanks.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Did you notice if the video had to be visible on the screen to stop the music from playing, or was just the fact there was a video further down the scroll enough to stop your music from playing? Did the video start playing by itself? Once in view, or even if further down the screen?

Sorry for all the questions, but trying to get an idea.

Thanks.

I think Instagram videos are set on autoplay mode. As soon as you have x% of video visible on the screen it starts loading it and when you scroll to half or more of that video post, it plays on screen. In that case your music will stop as soon as video buffering initiates.

I don't know about recent updates on 6Tag but I know 6Sec, a Vine client by Rudy offers to "not autoplay" videos. 6tag is Rudy's Instagram client, more popular than Instagram beta as it offers lots more features than official app. Maybe try that and see if auto play can be turned off?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)