IPhone 6 or stick with WP

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend waiting until the specs of the iPhone 6 are available before deciding whether to buy one. If you need a phone in the meantime, you can't go wrong with a Moto G. I'm sorry Nokia, but I can't see why anyone would buy anything else right now.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure the iPhone 6 will be nice, but if there is zero customization with the home screen, it's a no go. Not to mention that it looks like Rainbow Bright threw up all over the interface.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Want apps? Write to companies... email them, twitter them. Point out that Windows Phone outsells iOS in parts of the world and is growing in the US. That you would love an app.

Companies listen to lots of users... that is how they stay in business.

As for iPhone 6 or WP... that's your choice... but while you have WP, you might as well be an activist and ask. How do you think Android got apps when Apple had 95% of the smartphone market?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Want apps? Write to companies... email them, twitter them. Point out that Windows Phone outsells iOS in parts of the world and is growing in the US. That you would love an app.

Companies listen to lots of users... that is how they stay in business.

As for iPhone 6 or WP... that's your choice... but while you have WP, you might as well be an activist and ask. How do you think Android got apps when Apple had 95% of the smartphone market?
Good advice. When tweeting companies add this: #MobileEquality

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a hard time trying to make up my mind. I went from having the 3gs to the 4s to a Lumia 920. I got tired of the small screen and wanted a better camera. I used quite a bit of different apps just because they were available. The switch from apple to windows was easy enough so no issues there. Some basic issues soon arrived that I was used to having from my iPhone (separate volume controls for ringer and music, gapless playback, apps.) While it seems as 8.1 will fix the volume controls, I haven't heard anything about gapless. I'm a huge music buff and I hate the gaps in songs that transition into each other. And the big surprise here, the apps issue. I didn't mind not having 80 apps (exaggeration) on my windows phone. I didn't need them all. There are the basic apps (Facebook, Twitter, instagram, etc...) and not so basics like the dead yourself app from AMC or RaceJoy (GPS tracking for a lot of race events, my family are a bunch of runners) that I would love to have but no support for the windows. ALL apps have iPhone support and eventually make it to the WP store or maybe never. Its just a hard thing for me to deal with, having all the apps on Apple then switching to bare minimum on WP. I got used to it, but my patience is running thin with WP not being able to deliver on my wants app. Yes I know its not WP fault its the dev bur it still sucks that WP is the red headed step child of the smartphones. And now since the rumors gave been flying about the iPhone 6 having a 4.5 and 5.5 screen, my question I've been asking myself lately is will I be jumping back into the IOS world? The answer is I AM most likely. I know camera quality will not be as good as my trusty 920 but my god the gapless and apps. Also forgot to mention the horrible windows phone sync app for Mac. Blegh! I know that Build is around the corner and I really am anxious to see what's coming but unless they announce that Microsoft is making it easier (1 click conversion programs) for devs to port apps to WP, I still will be jumping. I will miss my camera and especially my Qi charging. But as for now, the world is running on IOS and Droid. Until WP severely steps up their game with the OS and store, I don't think it will ever make it to the limelight and overtake the other two companies. Yes , I know, "hows WP supposed to grow when people like you jump ship and don't give it a chance?" I have given it a chance and while not a bad experience, it really comes down to app availability. Its takes months and months to get a simple app after its been out for ios/droid FIRST. Microsoft NEEDS to get stuff rolling on the WP store and entice devs to port. Give em a pizza party or surface tablets, ANYTHING to further the app issue. So that's where I stand , for now, unless miracles happen for WP

Also, my MAJOR app that I indeed miss very very dearly is the NHL Game Center Live App, I love hockey, but hockey no love my Windows Phone.

which running apps have you tried for wp? I'm NOT a runner, so I don't understand why multiple are needed. thanks...

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention that it looks like Rainbow Bright threw up all over the interface.

And Windows Phone doesn't? Blergh, I'm a Windows Phone fan (have HTC Titan and had a Nokia Lumia 920, and am planning to hack WP8.1 onto my HTC One), but even I know that it looks like Rainbow Bright threw up all over the WP interface too.

As to the OP, it's your choice. You sound like you're heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem so you would suit an iPhone better, IMHO.

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
And Windows Phone doesn't? Blergh, I'm a Windows Phone fan (have HTC Titan and had a Nokia Lumia 920, and am planning to hack WP8.1 onto my HTC One), but even I know that it looks like Rainbow Bright threw up all over the WP interface too.

As to the OP, it's your choice. You sound like you're heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem so you would suit an iPhone better, IMHO.

I'm not too invested with apple. I just have a mac desktop. I have a 360, One, Surface 1 & 2, windows 8 laptop. I'm mostly a Microsoft guy obviously. It just seems to me that Microsoft is just putting along and not forcefully trying to up the ante with WP8. Granted Nokia has done wonders for the ecosystem, its just not enough. While i love the fact that i can get free ringtones, customize my home screen and take great low light pictures, its sometimes feels that its not enough. But whatever, illl be waiting for the real specs of the new iPhone to come out and anxiously await the new WP phones and OS. Maybe I'll be surprised and stick with the WP, who knows? WP has the potential but without backing of devs,it will be a long hard road full of disappointment for some. I mean face it, the real reason most people overlook WP is the app situation, plain and simple. More apps = more users. Like I said, I'll stick it out for a while with hopes of the next ten device to break through. I just don't think it will be anytime soon that it will have people dropping their fruit and robots to rush to the WP. MS need to pull out all the stops and get this ball moving. Screw saving some features for the "next Gen" devises, get that **** out now and reap the benefits. Just like the separate volume controls, that should be a standard not an update years down the road and years behind the competition. MS needs to do work.

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
If you are invested in Microsoft ecosystem, iPhone 6 will feel odd. I have Xbox 360, Xbox One, Windows 8 laptop, Surface RT, Windows 8 PC at work. Now I would be foolish to invest in iPhone, so I have a Lumia 925.
what advantage do you have having a full microsoft ecosystem?
doesnt the iphone work exactly the same with a surface or any windows 8 computer, as well as any wp8 phone? maybe even better?

nzrocketman

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I got the Iphone 5s from a Lumia 920. and I cant wait to go back to WP8. ITunes is useless, my phone almost goes flying out the windows every time I try add music from pc to the phone and trying to work out how to Bluetooth or wireless transfer without connecting my iphone into my computer. I HATE IT.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Just get what you want. You know what you want, I think.

This is what many people do.
Whenever I shop, read, query others about an upcoming purchase.
By the time I'm overloaded with opinions I could have been enjoying the item (I will ultimately choose in spite of input) for weeks.
:smile:

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
This is what many people do.
Whenever I shop, read, query others about an upcoming purchase.
By the time I'm overloaded with opinions I could have been enjoying the item (I will ultimately choose in spite of input) for weeks.
:smile:

It's the classic maximizer vs. satisficer distrinction. Maximizers drive me crazy because it takes such a Herculean effort for them to make a final decision. Research and pull the trigger, I say. :smile:

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
which running apps have you tried for wp? I'm NOT a runner, so I don't understand why multiple are needed. thanks...

I have MapmyRun and RunTheMap, those work fine for me. Im talking about app specific to Race competitions. One app in particular is used as the official app for most races here in Florida, "RaceJoy". My family uses it because if gives all information pertaining to their race positions and ranking. pretty cool app though i must say. I would use the app to ready myself for them to cross the finish. I am the family photographer, So I like to have the heads up on when they're around the corner. I have to use my wifes iPhone in order to track.

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Another thing that bothers me are the notifications, or lack there of. I sometimes takes an hour before receiving a notification from Instagram or ESPN. when my mice and I are lounging on the couch, I open up instragram and click "like" on one of my wife pictures. Not even a blink later she says "you like that one too?" meanwhile, she will like a picture of mine and minutes go by before seeing something pop up. I know with the addition of the notification center in 8.1 will deffinately help with missed notifications. yet again, begin years behind the competition. I really am trying to love EVERYTHING about WP but some stuff doesn't make sense as to why its so difficult to take simple and what seems to be standard tasks these days forever to reach the WP

j666w

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
a new phone should be one you realy want ! also if its a new phone id wait till all the cards are on the table ie iphone 6, new nokia, new htc, new Samsung etc

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
When the iPhone came out, it had something unique to it, as if everything was made by the same person.

Android lacked this beauty, and struggled in the looks department.

When WP came out, its had that charm that IO has, but look like you are in 2010, not as if you are using a 2006 piece of hardware.

Today, iPhone suddenly changed things, I hate the looks of IO7, something is missing, I just don't know what it is.

Android on the other hand , learned a lot, and since 4.4, I think android is doing really well.

I really hope WP does not do something radical with 8.1, they should do what they are doing.

BTW I'm not talking about just looks, I'm trying to point out the concept of these OSs.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeap, so hard and so personal. Everyone is different. I for one am heavily invested in the Microsoft ecosystem. Besides my phone, I have both a tablet and Windows 8 PC. To satisfy my need of those apps that haven't arrived, I hang on to my Nexus 7.

Same here, daily driver is Lumia 810 - Surface RT with Type Cover 2 and a Win 7 Laptop issued by work. Back up is Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. iPad 2 running a TiRED OS 7.1 has been retired to my 4 year old who is happy enjoying PBS Kids, Barefoot Atlas and Apps that help her with letter writing skills.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Another thing that bothers me are the notifications, or lack there of. I sometimes takes an hour before receiving a notification from Instagram or ESPN. when my mice and I are lounging on the couch, I open up instragram and click "like" on one of my wife pictures. Not even a blink later she says "you like that one too?" meanwhile, she will like a picture of mine and minutes go by before seeing something pop up. I know with the addition of the notification center in 8.1 will deffinately help with missed notifications. yet again, begin years behind the competition. I really am trying to love EVERYTHING about WP but some stuff doesn't make sense as to why its so difficult to take simple and what seems to be standard tasks these days forever to reach the WP
I'm not saying you are wrong but it's just difficult to understand that your notification problems are a problem with wp itself, because I never have such problems, I just really don't get it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney