Insteon Home Automation

bellyer

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
As someone who is just starting to get into home automation devices and have purchased a number of Insteon devices, I was disappointed to find that the Insteon Hub only works with iOS and Android. I have e-mailed them a few times over the last couple of months asking if there were any plans to develop an app for use on Windows Phone or Windows 8.1 devices. I have always been told in the past that they have no plans to develop on either platform. Well, I just happened to e-mail their product development group a few days ago and they replied back with good news. They said that they are starting to develop a "Windows Mobile" app and asked if I would be interested in beta testing when it is ready.

Not sure how many more of you out there may be using Insteon products for home automation, but thought I would pass on the good news in case anyone else wants to get involved in a potential beta. :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's great to hear. I do not have any home automation products, since I'm a renter in an apartment, but I'm sure that many people will make use of Insteon Windows Phone Apps.

bellyer

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Laura - There is a fair bit that can be done with home automation products that do not require you to be a homeowner and make actual modifications to the home. Things like controlling lights and other devices, installing door and window alarms/chimes, and using IP video cameras, among other things, can all be done whether you own the place or not.

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I am VeRY excited about this news! My only concern is that I have to buy a Hub to replace my SmartLinc. I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 insteon devices in my house (from keypad padlocks to garage door openers to light and thermostat controls). Until now I've had to use a web interface from my WP. I'm so excited to get a native experience along with voice controls! I'm wondering if there is a way for the developer to implement Cortana commands without having to open the app. I want to be able to say "unlock my front door and turn on the entry way lights" and have the app perform those duties without ending up in the app and interrupting what I'm doing... Do you think that's possible?

Svoboda

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I am VeRY excited about this news! My only concern is that I have to buy a Hub to replace my SmartLinc. I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 insteon devices in my house (from keypad padlocks to garage door openers to light and thermostat controls). Until now I've had to use a web interface from my WP. I'm so excited to get a native experience along with voice controls! I'm wondering if there is a way for the developer to implement Cortana commands without having to open the app. I want to be able to say "unlock my front door and turn on the entry way lights" and have the app perform those duties without ending up in the app and interrupting what I'm doing... Do you think that's possible?

Can you tell me what products you have? I plan on buying the starter kit when it hits the shelves at my MS store in July.

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I've got a variety of Insteon products ranging from lights, to garage door openers, to thermostats, to cameras, to door/window sensors. I've been waiting very patiently for this app!! Go to www.smarthome.com to check out all the Insteon products available. You don't have to get them from the MS store.

Just Bubba

May 1, 2013
Visit site
The app is in the Windows Phone store. Search for "INSTEON for Hub" and install. You will need to be on the same network as your INSTEON hub to get the app configured.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes