why I am considering Android

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok, here is an update on my choice. Sticking with the HTC 8x for now. The one with the broken capasitive buttons. This morning I realised I could create a Lens-app that navigates me to the startscreen. With that, I suddenly have a working WP again. :grin: For those who did not get that: my camera-button works, and will take me directly to the camera app. From here I can choose a Lens-app that I created that just navigates me back to the start screen.
Since I almost never used the dedicated search-button, this <almost> improves usability of my phone. A bit tedious to go to the start screen, and no back-button, but still, it works.
Now I can start waiting for WP8.1 with you guys.. :)

btw check these out , should be a nice way to use it without capacitive keys
Gesture Launcher | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/lockie/80c0195b-8c1a-4f2a-9089-65e5e1959762
hope this helps u!! :)

johnepedersen

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
the gesture launcher doesn't really do anything for me except another way to open an app.
As it doesn't run in the background waiting for gestures.

but I feel the new facebook messenger-app keeps me a bit more "connected" which is something I wanted (not very touch-friendly for those phones without a back-button), and found a great browsing experience with uc browser. :)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
There was a lot of misinformation about android in this thread. A LOT. I understand android is big and has the all seeing Google with it. But to say things like, malware ridden, emails being scanned, etc., is completely false.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
There was a lot of misinformation about android in this thread. A LOT. I understand android is big and has the all seeing Google with it. But to say things like, malware ridden, emails being scanned, etc., is completely false.

all of us here are ex users of iphones,droid,blackberry etc
whatever we were posting were from our personal experiences :)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
But its wrong. I am a current android user with a Moto X. To say things like malware ridden is completely false.

ios and android both have had massive malware holes leaked
ios had SSL which wasnt secure
android has had pretty much every linux virus+exclusive viruses as well
we dont see that happening to wp8 do we? :p
people in this thread have posted their experiences with their OWN devices,we arent speculating or something,we have experienced issues with other platforms and have shifted to wp8 :)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

From the comment section:

"Read article (not BGR) where they say that most of the malware comes from 3rd party app stores and not Google Play. Not a problem in Europe and the US, but other places like Asia, Africa, and Latin America."

Also, the people who made the report also makes a tool to remove it and costs money to use it. Sounds suspicious to me.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
ios and android both have had massive malware holes leaked
ios had SSL which wasnt secure
android has had pretty much every linux virus+exclusive viruses as well
we dont see that happening to wp8 do we? :p
people in this thread have posted their experiences with their OWN devices,we arent speculating or something,we have experienced issues with other platforms and have shifted to wp8 :)

Who would code a virus for a platform with such a small percentage user base? That wouldn't be worth it. Android and iOS have leaks and problems an what not. But to say malware ridden (meaning malware and viruses everywhere) is completely false as I said before.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Who would code a virus for a platform with such a small percentage user base? That wouldn't be worth it. Android and iOS have leaks and problems an what not. But to say malware ridden (meaning malware and viruses everywhere) is completely false as I said before.

just google it for proof plus like i said most of us posted our experiences of android and how we didnt like it, no one said its a bad os
which windows phone do u have anyway? :)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If you go to the source, Android Police says it just does not do anything. Not malware.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

yeah but isnt it odd, the top rated paid anti virus does nothing!! lol
its the biggest proof of how android apps can be malicious + why does angry birds want permissions to make automatic phone calls?? :D

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
yeah but isnt it odd, the top rated paid anti virus does nothing!! lol
its the biggest proof of how android apps can be malicious + why does angry birds want permissions to make automatic phone calls?? :D

If there was an antivirus for WP which did nothing, people would still download it in the thousands. This is demonstrative of human nature, nothing more.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If there was an antivirus for WP which did nothing, people would still download it in the thousands. This is demonstrative of human nature, nothing more.

no its not
they didnt just download it they paid for it,plus it also shows how google oversees malware and scam apps
when bbm for android was nearing release there were tonnes of malware ridden versions with blackberry inc etc as the author name
its how malware ridden android is and how a top rated paid antivirus app is scamming people and doesnt do anything except make u believe u have a virus
fyi windows phone has kaspersky safe browser but people dont use it as much as IE or other browsers,so thats an understatement
microsoft and apple takes great care of their app stores and have better quality
another example-
http://www.thinkdigit.com/Apps/Fake-Flappy-Bird-app-sends-text-messages_19749.html

Last edited:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
no its not
they didnt just download it they paid for it,plus it also shows how google oversees malware and scam apps
when bbm for android was nearing release there were tonnes of malware ridden versions with blackberry inc etc as the author name
its how malware ridden android is and how a top rated paid antivirus app is scamming people and doesnt do anything except make u believe u have a virus
fyi windows phone has kaspersky safe browser but people dont use it as much as IE or other browsers,so thats an understatement
microsoft and apple takes great care of their app stores and have better quality
another example-
http://www.thinkdigit.com/Apps/Fake-Flappy-Bird-app-sends-text-messages_19749.html

Stop. No matter how many times you say malware ridden it is not true. Are there bad apps? Yes. Malware ridden? No. Malicious Apps? There are a few.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Stop. No matter how many times you say malware ridden it is not true. Are there bad apps? Yes. Malware ridden? No. Malicious Apps? There are a few.

ok lets assume im wrong and that i dont know what android is, does that mean the other users here who posted their experiences will malware in this thread are wrong?we all posted our own experiences with malware man, its not like we didnt own droids before and are just googling this and posting here
we gave android a fair shot too before windows phone :)
every os has its own advantages and disadvantages including android and even ios and wp

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
In the "old days" we were told to physically disconnect from the internet to lessen the risk of viruses or malware. We can do it with cell phones too but then our email would be late and God forbid, no Facebook notifications.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
ok lets assume im wrong and that i dont know what android is, does that mean the other users here who posted their experiences will malware in this thread are wrong?we all posted our own experiences with malware man, its not like we didnt own droids before and are just googling this and posting here
we gave android a fair shot too before windows phone :)
every os has its own advantages and disadvantages including android and even ios and wp

I have only seen you claiming malware.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I have only seen you claiming malware.

correction - not claiming malware , its called experience, i have experienced malware on android and so have the others, we arent generalizing , we just posted how unhappy we were with that platform and its malware and why we switched to WP :)
see the previous pages especially 3rd page

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiuniuz