why I am considering Android

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

" The key here is "third party android app stores". *I hate articles like this that spread FUD about Android being a malware ridden OS. *To install this malware, one would have had to go into settings and enable unknown sources, at which time, it warns you of the dangers of installing apps from outside of the Play Store. *If you ignore those warnings and download apps from some random Chinese-hosted app store, you assumed all risk and deserve whatever you have coming."

From the source in the CNet article:

"infected versions of Flappy Bird in alternative Android markets (users need to sideload these apps..."

Also the apps in question did nothing more than add small charges to your bill. But it only happened through THIRD PARTY app stores and the ones that were in store (in Russia and China to be exact) were taken down. Seems like that's not a problem. Anything else?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok, as A895 stated, no one would try to hack or create malware for WP since it has a small user base. Look at Mac and why they are so secure compared to Windows - because of the user base. No one wants to scam teens who upload selfies and those stuff, the hackers want to gain profit so they create malware for Windows which companies use.

Also the thing that Windows is lacking is apps, and only apps. In WP I can't play Candy Crush nor Clash of Clans, but Android can. The specs aren't that different altogether comparing the phones at the same prices, but WP is just for people who want to call and text and keep everything neat.

Android and iOS is not a fad - it's a real thing. iOS gained a lot of fans due to great customer service and products. Across all the phone review sites, iPhones always get a 4+/5 star rating, because they made it well (though they are overpriced). Android is for the people who want to be up-to-date with what's happening. Your friend's are playing a particular game? Sadly you can't join them, because you're using a WP. Both iOS and Android are far from fads, and they are legit OSes that function well. WP on the other hand is a great phone honestly, but lack apps (that is essential for a phone nowdays).

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
" The key here is "third party android app stores". *I hate articles like this that spread FUD about Android being a malware ridden OS. *To install this malware, one would have had to go into settings and enable unknown sources, at which time, it warns you of the dangers of installing apps from outside of the Play Store. *If you ignore those warnings and download apps from some random Chinese-hosted app store, you assumed all risk and deserve whatever you have coming."

From the source in the CNet article:

"infected versions of Flappy Bird in alternative Android markets (users need to sideload these apps..."

Also the apps in question did nothing more than add small charges to your bill. But it only happened through THIRD PARTY app stores and the ones that were in store (in Russia and China to be exact) were taken down. Seems like that's not a problem. Anything else?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

id rather not have the hackers get any of my money at all

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok, as A895 stated, no one would try to hack or create malware for WP since it has a small user base. Look at Mac and why they are so secure compared to Windows - because of the user base. No one wants to scam teens who upload selfies and those stuff, the hackers want to gain profit so they create malware for Windows which companies use.

Also the thing that Windows is lacking is apps, and only apps. In WP I can't play Candy Crush nor Clash of Clans, but Android can. The specs aren't that different altogether comparing the phones at the same prices, but WP is just for people who want to call and text and keep everything neat.

Android and iOS is not a fad - it's a real thing. iOS gained a lot of fans due to great customer service and products. Across all the phone review sites, iPhones always get a 4+/5 star rating, because they made it well (though they are overpriced). Android is for the people who want to be up-to-date with what's happening. Your friend's are playing a particular game? Sadly you can't join them, because you're using a WP. Both iOS and Android are far from fads, and they are legit OSes that function well. WP on the other hand is a great phone honestly, but lack apps (that is essential for a phone nowdays).

not really
lacks essential apps?? really? it has all the essential apps , the apps which are missing arent used by the majority, android is open therefore itll have more malware
ios has become a fad despite being a great os people buy it more for status nothing more,atleast in my circle,pls read what i wrote on the previous page ,dont misunderstand me :)
i love ios and wp8(.1) , i said my friends buy phones for different reasons-piracy - android , ios -status
as for malware- ios and wp8 or even BB10 and BBOS are much much secure than android its a fact :)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
not really
lacks essential apps?? really? it has all the essential apps , the apps which are missing arent used by the majority,
So all those watch TV apps (HBO Go, Showtime, Dish Network, and Direct TV) that get advertised, and Candy Crush, VSCO Cam, some banking apps and credit union unions, Pininterest, Quora, Flipbord, YouTube, Google+, Tango, HP ePrint, etc. are all missing I could go on.

android is open therefore itll have more malware
Android has the largest marketshare, that`s why there is more malware there than other platforms.

ios has become a fad despite being a great os people buy it more for status nothing more,atleast in my circle,pls read what i wrote on the previous page ,dont misunderstand me :)
i love ios and wp8(.1) , i said my friends buy phones for different reasons-piracy - android , ios -status
as for malware- ios and wp8 or even BB10 and BBOS are much much secure than android its a fact :)

Don`t generalize, not everyone buys Android for piracy or people buy iOS for status. BBOS an BB10 are securer than any platform, don`t see the point of mentioning it.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
So all those watch TV apps (HBO Go, Showtime, Dish Network, and Direct TV) that get advertised, and Candy Crush, VSCO Cam, some banking apps and credit union unions, Pininterest, Quora, Flipbord, YouTube, Google+, Tango, HP ePrint, etc. are all missing I could go on.

Android has the largest marketshare, that`s why there is more malware there than other platforms.

Don`t generalize, not everyone buys Android for piracy or people buy iOS for status. BBOS an BB10 are securer than any platform, don`t see the point of mentioning it.

lol dude those arent popular apps,maybe for US not for the rest of the world
I have bigflix and it works perfectly well for me

android is open therefore more malware theres a tradeoff for security in android,even ios has only had 1-2 malware(rare cases)
every os except android is secure

im not generalising,its a fact

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
lol dude those arent popular apps,maybe for US not for the rest of the world
I have bigflix and it works perfectly well for me

android is open therefore more malware theres a tradeoff for security in android,even ios has only had 1-2 malware(rare cases)
every os except android is secure

im not generalising,its a fact

Android OS in itself for being open is not the problem. It having the majority of smartphone marketshare makes a prime target for malware. The same for Windows. Inherently Android is pretty secure, the vulnerabilities are exposed only when the user exposes them. For example, a recent malware was found on android but it only happened when the user allows unknown applications from third party stores be installed, so it was all user error. You can in fact be more secure with android than other platform, uninstall/disable google apps, use a secure third party store like Amazon, or root and uninstall all apps and services that you want. There are choices.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Android OS in itself for being open is not the problem. It having the majority of smartphone marketshare makes a prime target for malware. The same for Windows. Inherently Android is pretty secure, the vulnerabilities are exposed only when the user exposes them. For example, a recent malware was found on android but it only happened when the user allows unknown applications from third party stores be installed, so it was all user error. You can in fact be more secure with android than other platform, uninstall/disable google apps, use a secure third party store like Amazon, or root and uninstall all apps and services that you want. There are choices.

There's still the fact that Android is open-source and it can be easily hacked into too generate malware. There's also a malware going on with iOS, BUT only on jail broken devices. So there's something with having an open source OS, even if it isn't completely open. Yes though, you have a point about apps, and that's always there (hopefully not forever), and theater is user error, but it still depends on the OS.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
There's still the fact that Android is open-source and it can be easily hacked into too generate malware. There's also a malware going on with iOS, BUT only on jail broken devices. So there's something with having an open source OS, even if it isn't completely open. Yes though, you have a point about apps, and that's always there (hopefully not forever), and theater is user error, but it still depends on the OS.

exactly if it was popularity then why have hackers not been able to hack bbos when everyone had blackberrys?or even symbian?everyone had them, even after symbian became open source there werent many malware for it as it wasnt fully open like android
@A895

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
exactly if it was popularity then why have hackers not been able to hack bbos when everyone had blackberrys?or even symbian?everyone had them, even after symbian became open source there werent many malware for it as it wasnt fully open like android
@A895

BlackBerry OS was hard as hell to hack because of BES. Symbian never had a lions share of marketshare Android OS has now.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
BlackBerry OS was hard as hell to hack because of BES. Symbian never had a lions share of marketshare Android OS has now.

lol ur kidding, symbian had the largest marketshare ever!! even more than android in terms of percentage since not everyone had phones previously
Blackberry OS had BES , the point is android is insecure, not all bbs had BES activated there were consumer BIS as well which wasnt as encrypted as BES still it wasnt even remotely hackable

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
lol ur kidding, symbian had the largest marketshare ever!! even more than android in terms of percentage since not everyone had phones previously
Blackberry OS had BES , the point is android is insecure, not all bbs had BES activated there were consumer BIS as well which wasnt as encrypted as BES still it wasnt even remotely hackable

K.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss