App Idea: Destop Text Messaging

tfracs33

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it would be awesome to have a desktop app (Windows 8) that allowed you at access your text messages and reply.

I do a fair bit of international travel and it's tough to leave your phone on as it incurs tons of charges. Viber and WhatsApp are great, but for people that text you for business it's not a solution. I get home from a vacation and either get 100 texts at once or some just fade away because they've been in limbo for too long.

I don't like telling the world that I am out of the country as I don't think it's safe practice.

Could an app be formed that basically forwards every text to the cloud and then you can read and respond--somewhat like Google Voice, but for personal text messages.

On my Palm Pre, I had an app that when turned on, would automatically forward a text to any number (Google Voice) and send an automatic reply to the sender that I was out of town (Like Driving Mode). Only problem with this, your phone had to stay at home and plugged in all the time.

I think this would be a great solution for when you are on a plane, traveling or in a business meeting so you can still conduct work or personal business.

Any takers?

tfracs33

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Windows Live Essentials includes messenger which syncs to your phone.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
The old school Messenger does this or is it something different? Does it allow texts to go through? I will download and take a look. Any more info you can provide would be great, I just went on the Windows Essentials page and didn't see this mentioned.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I think there's something like that for Android called MightyText. That's because Android allows other apps to access your text messages/replace the default messaging app. It's rumored that in WP8.1 you'll be able to replace your default messaging app, so maybe an app like this may be possible on Windows Phone in the future.

tfracs33

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. It just makes sense that this should be an option in outlook.com, that way everything is in the cloud! I will keep an eye out for something like this

tfracs33

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I finally downloaded an app through Verizon, called Message +

It allows me to get all text messages sent to my phone on my desktop. Pretty cool app, wish it was baked into Skype or Office.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12