List App that Uses Dependencies

valeriolucciola

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I had an idea about an app and I was wondering if anyone else was interested. I can't build it but maybe somebody else would be willing to. The idea is for a list app the utilizes dependencies to automatically populate and prioritize lists. Especially lists of things that need to be done over and over again.

So for example, I'm making a cleaning to-do list. Let's just think about the kitchen. I need to wash dishes, mop the floor, clean the oven, etc. So just thinking about things, I could make a huge *** list of everything imaginable and be overwhelmed by everything. But when I look at my list, I can't do everything right now. Before I can clean the sink, I have to wash the dishes. Before washing the dishes I have to empty the dishwasher. Likewise I cannot mop the floor until I have swept it. I can't sweep until I clear the floor of shoes and such. So when I really think about the things I have to do and have the option to do now, the list of things is actually smaller because so many of the tasks are dependent on doing something else first. So my to-do list would be something along the lines of empty the dishwasher and sweep the floor. Completing those tasks would not only knock them off the list but add all the subtasks that I am now able to do back to the list. If you neglect to do the subtasks by the time the parent task needs to be done again, when you add the parent task, all the subtasks are hidden since you can't do them yet.

To prioritize you can assume that each subtask is worth one point (adjustable) so that the parent tasks are ranked based on the sum of their subtasks' values. If a subtask is really important and you don't want to forget about it, you can mark it as a priority and it will be shown under the parent task but shaded out so you know what you need to do next to get to that particular goal and it isn't hidden entirely.

Furthermore, some tasks come up regularly. Like washing dishes, vacuuming, or changing the oil in your car or a water filter. It's a pain to add them to the list every single day and sometimes you simply forget to add them to the list. Why not allow you to put a timer on those items so that when you knock them off the list, they automatically pop back on after a set period? Sure you can add them to your calendar but who keeps the rest of their to-do list on the calendar?

But what if there's a subtask that requires multiple things to be done first and they aren't in any conceivable order? For example, you don't want to plan vacation until you've taken care of your taxes and taken the car in for an annual tuneup. You can make plan vacation dependent on those to tasks and it won't show up until both of them are done. Naturally this is a little more complicated but it would be nice if you could prioritize it so it shows up shaded out but when you tap on it, it would highlight the things on your present list need to be done next to accomplish that goal.

So what do y'all think? Doable? Useful? Helpful? On one hand it seems like a bunch of very simple if-thens but it could be more complicated than I'm imagining.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Wow when did you come up with this??? lol I use an app called "TinyDO" it reminds me everyday at a certain time to call my grandmother.. I have a busy schedule so sometimes I need reminding. i'ts worked for me so far so maybe you can check it out in the meantime.. When Cortana finally arrives she'll remind me, but for now this app works just fine. Hope this helps :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)