SONY Windows Phone 8.1 devices suggested July release tweeted by Tom Warren

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Only just saw this. A Sony Windows Phone equivalent to the Z2 with all their lovely Walkman tech would be just fantastic IMO.

Thing is, it seems ill-timed considering their exit from the PC market. The Vaio lineup of Windows 8 devices seemed to be the best reason for them to have a complementary WP range.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Only just saw this. A Sony Windows Phone equivalent to the Z2 with all their lovely Walkman tech would be just fantastic IMO.

Thing is, it seems ill-timed considering their exit from the PC market. The Vaio lineup of Windows 8 devices seemed to be the best reason for them to have a complementary WP range.

Actually, considering their Mobile Division is one of the few that is expected to turn them a profit (along with Insurance, Film and Gaming) I think it makes sense to bet on Windows Phone now, specially since Nokia is gone and many many many consumers outside the US will be looking for another OEM. And Microsoft is not at all the obvious choice for people here in Europe. Sony stands a better chance of grabbing the ex-Nokia users than Microsoft and it seems like a wasted opportunity not to do it.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm becoming concerned with the lack of any leaks on these supposed Sony WP devices...it's not normal to not know about Sony devices before they're launched...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Warren's timeline just seems to be completely wrong. He said the first GDR update for Wp8.1 would be coming in July, and WP8.1 hasn't even been released yet. It seems he tied the Sony devices to WP8.1 Update 1. So we'll see.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Could this be related to the Japan event this 27th? Hopefully as this could be a really big news

Hmm...could be but it's very unlikely. Mainly because it's Microsoft that's throwing the event, not Sony. And Sony would present the phones themselves in a way bigger revenue as the phones would be aimed at their two biggest markets: Japan and Europe.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's clear. I just don't think it's coming before GDR1. Which means we still have a few months yet to go. I bet December.

December...who knows. But not anytime soon, that's for sure. We already have leaks of the September's Z3 and Z3 Compact. And still, I don't have much faith in any WP from Sony in 2014 anymore. Unless, of course, by some miracle, Sony was actually able to keep their WP under wraps and not have it leaked. Which would be the closest thing to a miracle I can think of right now.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
And I wouldn't blame him. Given the amount of problems the 930 has, if Sony releases the Z3 Compact in September, I'm switching too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb