How do I convince someone that the Windows Phone is superior? (Surrounded by iphones and androids)

ShocWave

May 13, 2012
Visit site
You can't, because it's clearly not superior.
Windows Phone has it's good points, and I like it.
I've stuck with it since the very beginning, but it still has a long way to go.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Instantly, when I got my Windows Phone 8, I got negative rep from my friends. One even compared it to a "bag of milk" (I don't get it either) and a useless brick that has lost all hope of becoming a good smart phone. They say it sucks and it lacks the amazing features off the iphone and android. Also, they say it's a total copy and the new 8.1 update is nothing good. How do counter their points? How do I tell them that there is some good in a Windows Phone that is worth trying and loving? :straight:

I think the whole point of this is that the OP isn't trying to convince others to leave their phones....he was looking for arguments to counter others claims
Mac

Sent from my Nokia 1520

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
1) Point out its gorgeous Metro interface that clearly was innovative enough for Apple to copy

This is dangerous. Some people hate metro. Also, what exactly did Apple copy from it? I don't know if you've ever seen an iOS device, but the interface looks nothing like metro.

2) (if using iPhone) Point out iOS 7 is nice, but still ancient, stale and boring. Seriously, it's a grandma's phone.

Sorry?

3) (if using Android) Say your a virtuous fellow, and would rather not associate yourself with a RAM *****. Sure, it's got a couple tricks and favors it can do you, and some really impressive specs that sound incredible on paper (That big, eh?), but at the end of the night: You just end up with some sort of virus.

(Number 3 is my personal favorite. Android is the Windows Vista of the mobile world, so it's easy to pick on, heheheh).

What's a RAM *****? If you are trying to say that Android requires more RAM than WP, that is very obviously nonsense. See how many apps can't be run on a WP phone with 512MB compared to an Android WP phone. And ask yourself yet again why Nokia chose Android for the Nokia X.

I've never ended up with a virus on any Android phone, and I don't know anyone who has. What statistics do you have to back up your claim that Android users end up with a virus by the end of each night? Maybe you are not talking about a computer virus and are implying something about Android users' nocturnal activities.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
This is dangerous. Some people hate metro. Also, what exactly did Apple copy from it? I don't know if you've ever seen an iOS device, but the interface looks nothing like metro.

Sorry?

What's a RAM *****? If you are trying to say that Android requires more RAM than WP, that is very obviously nonsense. See how many apps can't be run on a WP phone with 512MB compared to an Android WP phone. And ask yourself yet again why Nokia chose Android for the Nokia X.

I've never ended up with a virus on any Android phone, and I don't know anyone who has. What statistics do you have to back up your claim that Android users end up with a virus by the end of each night? Maybe you are not talking about a computer virus and are implying something about Android users' nocturnal activities.

It was meant to be mostly humorous, especially point 3.

Anyways,

1) iOS 7 did take a lot of the design mentality from Metro. Removing 3D textures and such for a "flat" look, trying to clean everything up and give everything a universal look across the entire OS. But don't take my word for it, see what WPC has to say on the subject: Meet the latest Windows Phone incarnation, iOS 7 | Windows Phone Central

2) While iOS 7 was indeed very refreshing compared to old instances of iOS, it's still in many regards, very visually similar to what was original unveiled back in 2007. Many people like it, which is fine, and it is indeed a very simple OS that people can quickly pick up on. But it hasn't changed much, and while iOS 7 was a significant step in the right direction towards something new, I feel it's carrying a lot of baggage from the original iOS design. If you like it, that's fine, but I find it old and stale, way past date. And I humorously added the "grandma's phone" part because it's reached that point where even the older folk are beginning to grasp it, which is "uncool" for many (Often cited reason for why teens are bailing from Facebook in favor of things like Instagram).

3) And it's true, Android is very resource intensive. KitKat takes big strides in solving this issue, but nonetheless, Android loves to be a resource hog. The Nokia X is running Android because Android has lower hardware requirements, and people are far more comfortable with the idea of trying some budget Nokia phone running Android as compared to Windows Phone. Mind share, my friend. However, just because Android has lower spec requirements, doesn't mean it runs all buttery smooth. From what I've seen and read, the Nokia X gets by, but you can feel how painstakingly low its specs are in regular use. Meanwhile, when I use my Lumia 520, while it is indeed slower than my Lumia 1020, it still does a very fine job in chugging along. Not bad for a device that only cost me $60. Also, the how many open apps thing is a ridiculous argument, as Android and Windows Phone handle multitasking and memory management in very different ways.

And for the virus thing, it's not a very big problem in the US and other regions with open access to the Play Store. But it is indeed a big concern in places like China, where almost everyone gets their apps from third party stores. Now, most are fine. Just don't click/tap on anything you're not supposed to, and use common sense and you'll be fine. But then again, can't the same logic be applied to the Mac vs. PC argument?

I was mostly having fun with my comment. As I said: no friendships are worth killing just due to phone preference. But if they're going to big dicks about your decision to pick Windows Phone, why not take cheap digs right back at them? Hmm?

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
just say this to the android users: "do your phone has lags? because mine don't..."

Not sure what you mean lag, but my 925, 620, 520, 720, 820 and 1020 both have several times where I have to wait seconds before something happens. And apps shutting down or not starting is rare, but it happens too - there just isn't an annoying pop up.

My sgs3 runs faster than eg the 1020, but over time the UI can be less smooth - but it is still faster.

On the budget side android have some slow (old) models with ics, they have a hard time competing with eg 520 speedwise.

Sent from my RM-892_eu_sweden_243 using Tapatalk

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what you mean lag, but my 925, 620, 520, 720, 820 and 1020 both have several times where I have to wait seconds before something happens. And apps shutting down or not starting is rare, but it happens too - there just isn't an annoying pop up.

My sgs3 runs faster than eg the 1020, but over time the UI can be less smooth - but it is still faster.

On the budget side android have some slow (old) models with ics, they have a hard time competing with eg 520 speedwise.

Microsoft has acknowledged this and greatly alleviated the issue with Windows Phone 8.1, thanks to much better OS handling of memory. So now 512MB devices should see loading screens when resuming apps about as often as 1GB devices did on WP8, and 1GB+ devices will almost never see loading screens when resuming apps. Exceptions of course when using apps or playing games that demand a lot of memory, but the majority of the time for the majority of users: loading times will be significantly improved.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Damn, this must be some fast Galaxy S3 ;). On Sunday I compered my Lumia 820 ( back than still with WP8 :D) with new Galaxy S5 in carrier store and my Lumia was pretty much as fast as Galaxy S5 which had his app open. If I tested it against my Lumia now I'm sure Lumia would be quicker ;). WP 8.1 works like charm.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Damn, this must be some fast Galaxy S3 ;). On Sunday I compered my Lumia 820 ( back than still with WP8 :D) with new Galaxy S5 in carrier store and my Lumia was pretty much as fast as Galaxy S5 which had his app open. If I tested it against my Lumia now I'm sure Lumia would be quicker ;). WP 8.1 works like charm.

While I do agree 8.1 is very efficient compared to Android (especially TouchWiz, yuck!): that isn't the most fair comparison. Think about all the people going in there, opening apps, running crap, just everything to make it all blegh... I hope you at least restarted it before you did your test, to at least make things more fair.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Instantly, when I got my Windows Phone 8, I got negative rep from my friends. One even compared it to a "bag of milk" (I don't get it either) and a useless brick that has lost all hope of becoming a good smart phone. They say it sucks and it lacks the amazing features off the iphone and android. Also, they say it's a total copy and the new 8.1 update is nothing good. How do counter their points? How do I tell them that there is some good in a Windows Phone that is worth trying and loving? :straight:

Seriously, I wouldn't waste my time with those inane conversations. A half hour wasted on this is a half hour lost to more interesting activities. If nothing else a half hour nap is nice.
:smile:

C LaBelle

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
This is what I do and works very well with the iPhone users:

Lay your phone down on a table with the screen off and ask that someone else do the same. Then ask them without touching the phone what can their phone tell them? Probably nothing or not much. Then I wave my hand over my 920 and glance turns on, time and notifications turn on.

Then tell them they can press one button only and try again. They get the time, maybe a notification. Whoopty doo, we already know the time because my phone already told us. Then I push one button on my phone to wake the screen, I get detailed text notification as well as others, plus weather. Two wins for me.

Then I tell them to go to their home screen and again what can they tell me. Usually it's missed calls, text messages, very basic info. I do the same. Again I get current weather, tomorrows weather, detailed text notifications, calender appointments, detailed facebook notifications, contacts FB pics and thats about it without scrolling.

By then they usually see that it's a little more thought out OS than theirs, it's actually functional and useful. Then if they still want more I explain my wireless charging, camera, free GPS, all the social media integration, and whatever else they want to know until they now want a Windows Phone. I've had two people switch to WP after doing this. Haha

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
A Note3 user in my office just got his wireless charging kit. I just placed my 920 on the pad and it was charging. While he had to fiddle around with his back cover

"hey!! What's the fuss?? I had this thing last year!!!"

Some colleague was coerced to put his iPhone on the pad...obviously nothing happened. Hahaha. That was a laugh!!!

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I own a Nokia 1020, Galaxy Note 1 and Iphone 4s and to be honest even though I love Windows Phone, I don`t recommend it to family and friends all the time. I try to be honest and ask them what they want from the device and OS etc...you should not be trying to convince everyone to switch to windows phone as just like IOS and Android it is not best for everyone.

If they want a simple, fast and functional OS with the latest games, social apps and need banking, tv, local apps on great small screen hardware, with good camera then I would say Iphone.

If they want complete freedom to tweak settings, the look of the UI , play the latest games, social apps and need banking, tv, local apps on great hardware with a larger screen then I would say Android.

If they want smooth, pretty, personal UI and not so bothered by latest games, social apps or banking,tv,local apps etc... I would definitely say Windows Phone..

Hopefully in 2015 Windows Phone will tick all the boxes but at the moment it does not..

That's what I do too. My mom is using an iPhone 4S currently and her friends had moved along to the Samsung Galaxy/Android world. She's lonely and gets the usual bashing that iPhone is outdated, etc. I'm going to upgrade her to the Xperia Z2. She can kick those Sammy fans *** soon.

I don't recommend Windows Phone to my friends or relatives because they will not be able to appreciate it. Moreover, majority of users on any platform uses probably half the functions the OS has to offer at best. The rest is usually for bragging rights.

I have given up explaining technology to people because they will not listen. Seriously, everyone will be happy when they get a phone they already have in mind.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_sea_206 using Tapatalk

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey... I had all 3 phone..

iPhone4s... The Smartphone for Dummies edition. Great phone, just not for me

Androids... Galaxy S3, Note2, HTC OneX, HTC One (to mention a few of the many android phones I had).. I loved the One and it's front speakers. I never had any luck with the S3, The Note 2 seemed to big to carry around, so I sold it.

Windows Mobile... Touch Pro 2... I really loved this phone, I could change ROM's and be back up in less than a half hour

Windows Phone 7... Titan II... It was a cool phone, but bought it only to try out the AT&T network, as US Cellular was leaving Chicago..

Windows Phone 8.. The Nokia Lumia 920... Was a first adopter, but alas, I needed a few apps it didn't have, so I went back to Android...
The Nokia Lumia 1520.. WOW and now on 8.1 makes it the perfect phone for me. (Funny how I thought the Note 2 was too big, the 1520 with the PMA case just feels right in my hands)

Would I recommend it to others? Depends on what they are doing. Is android laggy? Every one I owned had some lag, so far I have not seen any in the 1520 (knock on wood) But I gave up with trying to convince anyone to go WP. Why? I can argue with the iOS and android lovers here and walk away and ignore you all, but friends are a different story, I don't even try to convince any of them to switch, because in the real world, you can lose friends that way. So you all have a nice day...

kumar_rajan5000

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
You tell them to show their phone's start screen and you show them your windows phone start screen. Then ask them if their phone is doing something or is idle because their phone will not show any animation or updating thing. But when they see at your phone you can show them flipping tiles which can itself update. Also wp has inbuilt office app free of cost.

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have WP (Primary), Android (Work), and iOS (G/F's Tablet)
So far I haven't seen anything that WP can do that Android cannot.
What irritates me more is that I have the official MS RDP app on my Android, but it isn't on my WP.

Looking at the features coming to 8.1 it looks like it might catch up to where Android was 7 years ago.

Glance screen (clock and notifications without doing anything at all), Halo (and other Xbox Live exclusive games), stream screen through a browser (without installing anything), double-tap to wake (very nice to see the clock when it is on a table, and you don't use glance), perfect integration with OneDrive (well, Android probably has that with Google Drive), generating same app to Xbox One, Win8 and WP 8.1 (nice for app developers), free fully functional offline navigation, People hub with quick overviews of social media without installed apps or widgets, fast low-end devices, free offline music mixes with Nokia Mixradio, so on, so on...

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

Sorry?

If Nokia used Android on Nokia X because of the RAM problem, why don't they use it on more models then? That is complete bull. It has different reasons, and my Lumia 520 runs MUCH smoother and faster than my moms mid-end LG Android phone out of the box.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
If Nokia used Android on Nokia X because of the RAM problem, why don't they use it on more models then? That is complete bull. It has different reasons, and my Lumia 520 runs MUCH smoother and faster than my moms mid-end LG Android phone out of the box.

Maybe they will use it on more models. They have to start somewhere. Until recently, they had a corporate position that WP was better, no doubt influenced by the 100s of millions of euros Microsoft were giving them.
Why do you think Nokia have adopted Android for cheap phones? Will this decision survive the Microsoft takeover?

Btw, in case you have forgotten it, we concluded in another thread that Android was more efficient than WP in terms of memory usage, as 512MB Android phones are much less limited in terms of the apps they can run.

ListenUpGuys

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
What the... let people make their own decisions. It's annoying when people try to push their ideas on other people.

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_211 using Tapatalk

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they will use it on more models. They have to start somewhere. Until recently, they had a corporate position that WP was better, no doubt influenced by the 100s of millions of euros Microsoft were giving them.
Why do you think Nokia have adopted Android for cheap phones? Will this decision survive the Microsoft takeover?

Btw, in case you have forgotten it, we concluded in another thread that Android was more efficient than WP in terms of memory usage, as 512MB Android phones are much less limited in terms of the apps they can run.

It is not Android, it is a fork of it, without a play store and everything. It doesn't look and feel like Android. If they wanted it, they could licence the Play store, but they didn't, because they are not switching to Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo