1020 or Icon

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to decide what to do. I was sure I would get a 1520 and that would be the end of my decision, but I really don't think the big screen is right for me, and I use my phone for GPS/Music on my motorcycle. I have a RAM Aquabox now that wouldn't fit the 1520, but they do make a bigger one, but that would be very big on the handlebars and would be another cost. So now I'm trying to decide between a 1020 and an Icon. Both are compromises to me and I don't know which to do.

Here is how I see it:

+ Camera
+ Cheaper
+ Yellow

- No SD card
- Screen isn't as nice

Icon
+ Screen
+ More upscale build (but lacking cool colors, I really like the orange, green, and yellow)
+ Camera (not quite as good as 1020, but plenty good enough)
+ Wireless charging built in

- No SD card
- More expensive
- Verizon
- No glance (very minor to me)

If I get a 1020, I would buy a used one and do the BYOD plan with AT&T which would be cheaper (or do Aio monthly for even cheaper). That would also allow me to sell the phone in a year or so if something better comes along (and it always does haha). If I get the Icon I would just get a 2 year contract (Edge is a ripoff in my opinion). So I would be locked into it for 2 years, and then if I stayed with Verizon, most likely wouldn't have a great choice of phones.

SD card slot is a big hangup for me as I like to have all my music with me, I could cut that down if I have to (and with these two I would have to), plus with a better camera I'm sure I will be taking more, but I can use OneDrive to back them up. Just a lot of time when I am out riding I don't get good data reception so I like to have as much on the phone as possible (some music/podcasts and maps are a must).

So what to do? I'm leaning toward the 1020, but I think I will want a new phone more quickly with it than I would with the Icon (though I would be able to upgrade whenever I wanted to).

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The major reason I didn't switch to AT&T long ago, when I realized that they were doing a far better job offering WP's than Verizon was, is because of Verizon's service. The quality of Verizon's service and reception in the Chicago land area, and most of the country, is notable. I talk on the phone way too often and rely on quality service way too much to sacrifice it for a wider variety of phones that I might be interested in.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
The Icon/1520's cameras are literally behind only the 1020 in terms of smartphone camera performance so even with an Icon you'd have a better smartphone camera than 99.9% of everyone else. The build as you said is also superior on the Icon and it looks sexy (no asymmetric massive camera hump), as for colors yes I agree I would've bought a green Lumia 930 at full retail price in an instant had it been USA available. Other than aesthetics color doesn't mean much (especially if you end up using a case) so unless you're an avid photography buff I'd go with the Icon. It just has a better screen, processor, and battery to the 1020, not to mention the Icon is more 'future proof' as they say.

ImSoWade

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I would personally wait until the next batch of Windows Phone are announced this summer/fall; I am sure one of those will meet your needs. If you NEED one right now I would choose the 1020 if mobile photography is very important to you. If you want the best overall phone then the Icon because it has the latest specs and still has a great camera.

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If Glance and SD card aren't deal breakers for you, I'd go with Icon. I've had one for about two weeks and have been very happy with it. Verizon is the only dependable provider at my home, so that wasn't an issue for me.

Screen is outstanding, camera great, and fast performance. I recommend giving Icon a close look.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Service for both is the same for me. I was with AT&T before and was very happy with them. Only switched to Verizon because of my wife. All her family had Verizon so we would have needed a lot of minutes with AT&T, but now that they all have unlimited that is not a factor.

I really like the icon, but lack of SD makes me hesitant to be stuck with it for two years, though I'm sure I could make it work.

Photography isn't a huge factor for me. The main appeal to the 1020 is its size, and that I can buy it outright and then upgrade later if I want. Its just a nice benefit that it has a great camera. I know it doesn't have SD either, but I wouldn't feel stuck with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb