What's your story ... How did you end up with a WP?

CrossedFaith

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I've been an Android user for a while and a blackberry user. My story is basically this...

Galaxy Note died. To the point where the repair costs were stupidly high. So I went and used my blackberry tour again for a good few months. Ended up dropping it and boom. Needed a new phone. Saw the Lumia 521 on sale at Walmart for...i think 69....and I remember using windows phone way back about 8 years ago. Wanted to see how far they came along. Took a gamble, and haven't looked back.

TL;DR:

New phone was needed, cheap price tag.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Tired of Android's laggy UI and couldn't afford an iPhone (was a student back then). So, when I saw the HTC HD 7, I was like WHOA! I want one! And thus started my journey into Live tiles and simplistic, lag free and clean UI.

chrisevans937

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Been here since windows mobile. Was going to switch to android about 5 years ago but I didn't. Got hooked on WM because of custom roms and unlocking phones

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Similar story; started with WM about 10 years ago. Stayed through WM 6.5 I think and then went to various Android phones through Verizon; never an Apple. When I saw Joe give an overview of live tiles about 3 or so years ago I was hooked. Bought the first WP Verizon offered and as they say, the rest is history.

Have the ICON now with a 928 backup and couldn't be happier.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
For myself I ended up with the Windows Phone pretty much by accident.
Well actually more by price.

The 521 on Amazon looked pretty good at $114.89 usd.
I was going to spring for an outgoing Nexus phone since the 5 was on the horizon.
Wasn't a real happy camper with the Droid that quite working and then my tablet bricked.
I was all about my former devices until they turned their backs on me.

So here I am...(sorry about that)

Have the ICON now with a 928 backup and couldn't be happier
When did you grab the ICON ax?

peepsite

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'd been a prepay phone user for years and years,when smartphones started coming out I tried a few, all lower end androids. Like many others here, I found the experience somewhat less than pleasurable,lags, freezes, never any updates etc.. When the L520 came to gophone, I figured it couldn't be any worse than the low end droids, so I grabbed one at Walmart. Man, what a difference,quick, smooth, no lags or freezes,decent predictable battery life, WP guy all the way now, my next phone will likely be a 920 unless a 730 or 830 makes an appearance at a great price.

knuckles245

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I was a loyal Sidekick user, I had every kind that came out, loved it so much because it did exactly what I wanted and the shortcut features were amazing that it just added on to the awesome experience of owning a sidekick.

My switch happened when they decided to use android as the new OS for the sidekick, I didn't like it at all. I used the remaining time before they completely discontinued all support for the older sidekicks to fiddle with all other Android and iOS options out there, but nothing caught my interest.

I finally saw the soon to be available HTC HD7 for my carrier and I was immediately hooked. I watched every video I could find about the phone and the Windows Phone OS so that I was fully informed and knowledgeable of what was to come. What got my attention too was that it was a Microsoft mobile OS and I use everything that is Microsoft.

I have been loyal to Windows Phone ever since, I love my Lumia 925 with WP8.1.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd been a prepay phone user for years and years,when smartphones started coming out I tried a few, all lower end androids. Like many others here, I found the experience somewhat less than pleasurable,lags, freezes, never any updates etc..
Pretty much a similar story for me too...

I have been loyal to Windows Phone ever since, I love my Lumia 925 with WP8.1.
Awesome piloting the 925 meself...

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I was a blackberry user from 2005 till 2009. While at convention for work in 2009 in Orlando my phone got water damage from the humidity. When I got back to Seattle I went I pulled out my Palm Treo 680 until my upgrade came in. (Always a backup device till this day) I went and got the mytouch and that device was a POS. I returned it within the first 14 days and switched to AT&T and got an iPhone 3GS. From that moment on I would never use type keyboard again.

I was following the movements and news regarding windows mobile 6.5 in the summer of 2010 and I was thinking of picking up the iPhone 4 but AT&T moved my upgrade (they did this to me twice) I switch to tmobile and got a launch HTC HD7 in Nov 2010. Honestly I still can't believe I made the faith windows phone 7.0 was a pre-alpha product with no copy and paste and with about 50 apps in the App Store. I remember the App Store growing to 2k, 5k, 10k and thought it would take off like the App Store did for Apple. It never did. My HD7 died and was frustrated by the lack of windows phone offerings. I switched back to AT&T and got the HTC Titan 2. It was one of my favorite devices of all time and the best phone during the Mango era. (I originally got the Lumia 900 and had many issues and traded for a t2).

The honeymoon with the Titan 2 was soon over because windows phone 7 wouldn't be upgraded to windows phone 8. My Titan 2 never got the upgrade to 7.8 :(

I then bought a Lumia 920 out of contract, it was and is my favorite device of all time.

My wife was finally forced off her parents plan. We then made the switch back to tmobile again due to price alone. I got a LG G2 and liked the device at first bit then had issues with calendar and contacts. Windows Phone contacts/People suck.

I still used my Lumia 920 and got unlocked. I used it less and less because of some new work apps that were created but only for Android and iOS.

After 6 months on tmobile I jumped to the iPhone 5s. Such a tiny screen but it has all the apps I need for work.

Honestly the only thing windows phone needs is Apps! They need to go for the top 100k of apps, not top 50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't exactly thinking of ditching my trusty Nokia C5(-00.) I was, and still am, an ardent Symbian fan, after all.

Of course, I found out about the 808 PureView and the N9-00. The former was way out of my budget, and...the N9 is the N9. Since I'm a student, I couldn't really afford either. So, I jumped on the Lumia line instead.

I didn't really regret it. In fact, I was actually fascinated at the ups and downs of the ride (including that stretch late last year when some people actually swallowed the crap "tech sites" were saying about Windows Phone.)

TL;DR: I ended up getting a cheap phone to relegate my trusty C5 to tethering, and got a 620.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Have been a Nokia user from the days of 5110. Have also been a WP user from windows mobile days.

Tried android and iphone for few years.

When windows phone was back after the "reboot", quickly bought my Trophy.

Now using Lumia 1020 and 920

Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hatred of HTC and Nokia Lumia marketing...hehehe.

My 1 yr and 2 weeks old HTC died and I needed a replacement. I had been seeing all of the hype over the 900 so I went for it...the rest is history..

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I am from India when I want to buy a phone. I thought wp was one of my Choice in the mid range. I initially thought of buying mid range Android like Samsung galaxy grand, Sony Xperia SP. Then I also searched for used products in olx. One guy offered Samsung galaxy S3 KOREAN model for 17000.i was in 2 minds whether to buy used one or new phone. Then I decided only new phone. Then I Incidentally told him I am going to buy lumia phones. He told me am going to suffer because of buying Windows phone. Then suddenly I thought let me take the risk ND buy Windows phone. I wanted 1 gb ram phone. So first I tried for Nokia lumia 920.the I thought it was too high costing 27000.which I thought is too much, in that price I can get galaxy note 2.my budget was only 22000.Then I decided to buy lumia 820.it was not available in retail stores so I had to buy from Amazon India online. Now I realise I had made a damn mistake by buying lumia 820 because of its battery life. I should have bought galaxy note 2 by stretching 28000.or at least bought a lumia 920 by paying 27000 online. Repenting my mistake. I have to be with this phone for another 2 years. My biggest mistake so guys if you are going to buy a phone ND keep it for 2 years then you should buy a flagship phone by stretching your budget or else you have to suffer like me. Lesson learnt. Buy only high battery capacity Windows phone.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
But am managing by having Android. Apps problem is solved for me by Android. But it lags since I have 512 mb ram phone name lava iris 458q am managing by using custom roms. Custom room developed in Lava iris 458q is saving me from multiple stutter but still it works most of the time. Sometimes lag ND hang. But it is still worth because of battery life compared to lumia 820.am using it because I have only this Android to battle battery life. ND also I think wp central free app in Android is better than the wp central app in Windows phone. Am waiting for 2 years before I can go ND get a flagship phone until then using both phones. Have to carry both the phones anywhere am going.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

udupa1982

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Since 1999 had Nokia phones and always loved Nokia. Then i jumped to Android by buying Sony Ericsson X10 as wanted a smartphone but i was annoyed by slow updates lag and buggy experiences. To avoid all the bugs with sick ROM, i rooted and installed custom ROM to solve my issues but i failed. Finally i decided to drop Android and go to a deterrent platform. My timing was perfect as Nokia launched L 920 and as a fan of Nokia i jumped to Windows phone.

Sent from Nokia Lumia 920

Ahmad Barakji

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I've been a loyal Nokia user since the 3310. I've had a couple of Nokias and one Sony Ericsson back in the day. I also used pretty much every flagship released from every major manufacturer, but wasn't really enticed by any of them, except the Note and Note 2. I didn't buy any of them though. I stuck with my Nokia. When WP7.8 debuted, I closely followed its news, hoping someone would release a 5.5"+ WP. Then WP8 came out and the 1520 was born. I remember how massive it was back then. I got it. I've never been happier.
Watching tv shows on my phone while on the treadmill is a luxury I never want to let go of :)

chuckd1991

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I needed a new phone, and AT&T had good deal on the 920. My previous two phones were Galaxies, but something kept telling me to go for the Lumia. I always liked Nokia, so that also factored into it. After a few weeks I really started to like it. About two months ago I upgraded to a 1520, and I'm in love, especially since I downloaded 8.1.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I was going to buy an Android, but ridiculously, the salesperson was simply not ready to let me purchase one(Galaxy S Duos). He convinced my parents & my elder sister to buy a WP & I ended up with a Lumia 520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte