What's your story ... How did you end up with a WP?

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I was going to buy an Android, but ridiculously, the salesperson was simply not ready to let me purchase one(Galaxy S Duos). He convinced my parents & my elder sister to buy a WP & I ended up with a Lumia 520.

Probably the first time I've heard a sale person recommending WP.

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Agreed but it bodes well.

When I was looking at the 1320 the sales guy was saying how he moved from a 520 to 1520 etc and how much he loved it etc. :) its good more and more reps are getting windows phone. Alot if people will look at them and think, well they work in a phone shop and have windows phone out if all their choices so it must be good! :)

Windows phone was my first smartphone and that was the 520. :) i was never into smartphones and when i decided to get one windows phone just jumped out at me.

Furthering on since then, my wife loved my 625 so much she has ditched her iphone and bought a 625. Epic.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah! It was very surprising for me & became increasingly so when I read many posts here which tell incidents about how salespersons prevented potential customers from buying a WP. It's a unique case in my opinion. :D

TCB1468

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
It all began with the Windows Phone Challenge at the Tyson's Corner Microsoft Store. I heard about the challenge and I really couldn't believe it. Free Windows Phone with no contract! What! So I bought my sisters old Blackberry that she was about to trade in and made the trek all the way to Tyson's corner. But it was so worth it! I got to choose between a Focus S and a Titan II and got the Titan II. I loved that phone. Fantastic camera. Only issues was WP7 got boring and the screen PPI kinda bugged me. But what pushed me off the edge was being left behind on Mango... So I went back to Android for a while with the Note II. Now I am coming back to try WP8.1 with the 1320! Mine arrives tommorow and I can't wait. The Windows Phone Challenge really was good marketing. I did make a profit by selling my Titan II but I did come back eventually! Plus I might have never tried it without the challenge.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Was on a budget mid-last year. I can't stand Android's lag, so the only choice I had is the L520. Later stumbled upon some cash and got the 920 instead.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I briefly used a Samsung Galaxy Y Duos- horrible experience. No updates from 2.3, only 160mb internal memory, low ram etc. I have always been a Windows fan, so I wanted to see what Windows phone was like. I first saw the Lumia 520 and 510 at Nokia Priority Store, and was awed at the performance of the 510 over the Samsung, considering the fact that they have the same specs. I saw the Lumia 620 too, which was amazing given the price, and bought it. Never gonna use android again LOL. They are removing things present in 2.3- Apps to SD, WI-FI activity indicators,etc. However,WP 8.1 has raised the bar-now android has to do the catching up.

rivmage

May 5, 2014
Visit site
My story, I have been a android users since the Moto Droid was released. My last Android was a Samsung Galaxy S3, got a firmware update and it broke the dialer, I was unable to use the phone function if I can any call logs. I had to use a third party app to do basic function on my phone, my carrier at the time, Sprint and Samsung were no help. I dumped both of them and am currently with T-Mobile and have a Lumia 925.

Scott

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I was in the market for my first smartphone not long after the launch of Windows Phone 7. I walked into the at&t store several times to compare the features of WP vs Android. I had it narrowed down to either the Samsung Focus or an equivalent Samsung Android phone. I rolled the dice and figured I'd try WP. Haven't looked back since, upgraded to the 920 the day that they went on sale at at&t. My parents and wife are all carrying 920s now.

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Had Symbian and android for some time (paid by my workplace). I work with it support in a small daughter company. All our consultants got the Lumia 820 since only ios and WP was supported by the exchange server... but they needed alot of support , which was really hard since I was used to android. So I changed too

Sent from my Lumia 925 wp8.1 from Tapatalk

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had many phones. I started out with a KIN which is technically a Windows Phone. It failed in a broad sense and in mine. It looked like a tabacco can in my pocket and it was absolutely featureless. I lost that and got a sliding keyboard dumb phone. That one broke and I found the KIN again, so I used that for a while, but it was time for a smartphone. That was when my life changed for the better: I got the Nokia Lumia 928. This phone has come with a slew of problems that I more or less expected, but overall it's been a great experience and I look forward to owning more WPs in the future.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
My phone history is in my signature...

I haven't used any other smartphone OS since I started using smartphones... I'm what some may call a MS ******! :smile:

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
My phone history is mostly made up of Nokia phones. After having the N900 for a while I felt like I wanted to try something new (and less bulky :p) and that's when the Lumia 800 caught my eye. It seemed to integrate well with Microsoft services so it seemed like a good choice for me. Been with WP ever since and haven't looked back. Currently have a Lumia 920 and loving it.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I am from India when I want to buy a phone. I thought wp was one of my Choice in the mid range. I initially thought of buying mid range Android like Samsung galaxy grand, Sony Xperia SP. Then I also searched for used products in olx. One guy offered Samsung galaxy S3 KOREAN model for 17000.i was in 2 minds whether to buy used one or new phone. Then I decided only new phone. Then I Incidentally told him I am going to buy lumia phones. He told me am going to suffer because of buying Windows phone. Then suddenly I thought let me take the risk ND buy Windows phone. I wanted 1 gb ram phone. So first I tried for Nokia lumia 920.the I thought it was too high costing 27000.which I thought is too much, in that price I can get galaxy note 2.my budget was only 22000.Then I decided to buy lumia 820.it was not available in retail stores so I had to buy from Amazon India online. Now I realise I had made a damn mistake by buying lumia 820 because of its battery life. I should have bought galaxy note 2 by stretching 28000.or at least bought a lumia 920 by paying 27000 online. Repenting my mistake. I have to be with this phone for another 2 years. My biggest mistake so guys if you are going to buy a phone ND keep it for 2 years then you should buy a flagship phone by stretching your budget or else you have to suffer like me. Lesson learnt. Buy only high battery capacity Windows phone.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

I am from India too AND with a 820 as well. Have you tried the 8.1 update. My biggest hitch is the screen size, especially compared to my K900 (Primary device). But there is barely I can do anything about it. I know I am going to use it quietly for 2 years too. THEN, GONNA SELL my K900 and buy a flagship (tired of Android and its buggy..laggy nature)...just like you said.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I am from India too AND with a 820 as well. Have you tried the 8.1 update. My biggest hitch is the screen size, especially compared to my K900 (Primary device). But there is barely I can do anything about it. I know I am going to use it quietly for 2 years too. THEN, GONNA SELL my K900 and buy a flagship (tired of Android and its buggy..laggy nature)...just like you said.

Hey mate how is your battery life with wp 8.1 ? The battery can make a day if u turn off location nd also services like blue tooth, wifi etc.nd if u connect to internet either 3 g or wifi this phone will not last a day.i think i will somehow save money nd get iphone 6 i heard from others in gsmarena iPhone has great battery life.if not i will buy the phone which gives me the best battery life atleast 18 hours on heavy usage .according to me smartphone should be used as a smartphone not a dumbphone by turning off location nd other features.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey mate how is your battery life with wp 8.1 ? The battery can make a day if u turn off location nd also services like blue tooth, wifi etc.nd if u connect to internet either 3 g or wifi this phone will not last a day.i think i will somehow save money nd get iphone 6 i heard from others in gsmarena iPhone has great battery life.if not i will buy the phone which gives me the best battery life atleast 18 hours on heavy usage .according to me smartphone should be used as a smartphone not a dumbphone by turning off location nd other features.

I am completely with you on this one bro. But here's what I have learned from countless phones:

A. NO phone gives you more than a day. None. Take it from me. I have lot of people using iPhone 5S, by far the most expensive iPhone, and they panic for battery life, just like fish without water. Moral of the story? Even money can't buy you a good battery life.

B. The location is an important feature. Turning it off is NOT going to help.

C. Battery dies quicker on 3G/Data internet than on Wi-Fi.

The iPhone 6 is going to be groundbreaking in many ways. But not sure if a long battery life is one of them.

My wife's 720's battery lasts longer than my 820's. But I get half a day, almost, with moderate to heavy use of camera, news apps, weather apps, 3G. So, say I leave home at 9 in the morning, lasts at least till 8 in the night.

It is completely your decision to jump ship. But all I can say is, jump wisely. You don't want to go from frying pan to the fire.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I am completely with you on this one bro. But here's what I have learned from countless phones:

A. NO phone gives you more than a day. None. Take it from me. I have lot of people using iPhone 5S, by far the most expensive iPhone, and they panic for battery life, just like fish without water. Moral of the story? Even money can't buy you a good battery life.

B. The location is an important feature. Turning it off is NOT going to help.

C. Battery dies quicker on 3G/Data internet than on Wi-Fi.

The iPhone 6 is going to be groundbreaking in many ways. But not sure if a long battery life is one of them.

My wife's 720's battery lasts longer than my 820's. But I get a day, almost, with moderate to heavy use of camera, news apps, weather apps, 3G. So, say I leave home at 9 in the morning, lasts at least till 8.

It is completely your decision to jump ship. But all I can say is, jump wisely. You don't want to go from frying pan to the fire.

Do you keep location on everytime with cortana nd getting the above mentioned battery backup?:(:what:

Tichshew

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Was with T-Mobile, my Samsung Vibrant became bricked after an update. I originally bought a Blackberry Curve for $249 off contract, went back in for a case about a week later to see that the HTC HD7 was on sale for $299. Wanted a big touch screen and wanted to try a new OS so I exchanged it and took a chance. Absolutely loved it, and 4 years later I'm now on AT&T rocking a Lumia 1520.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Do you keep location on everytime with cortana nd getting the above mentioned battery backup?:(:what:

Yes. Absolutely. I NEVER shut location. It's your best weapon against phone theft. ANd yes, Cortana too is always on.

And like I said, this is if I use a lot of 3G. If I am on Wi-Fi, it goes uptill 10 in the night sometimes.

There were days when my wifi didnt charge her phone (720) for 2+ DAYS!
I couldn't believe it either..but I saw it with my own eyes.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Absolutely. I NEVER shut location. It's your best weapon against phone theft. ANd yes, Cortana too is always on.

And like I said, this is if I use a lot of 3G. If I am on Wi-Fi, it goes uptill 10 in the night sometimes.

Oh then its great k your on screen time on the phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire