Your thoughts on Lumia 1020 vs the just announced Galaxy K Zoom

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Well Samsung has just announced the Galaxy K Zoom and I must admit that it looks mighty impressive to me. 10X optical zoom with a 6 core processor and sporting a slimmer overall frame than the S4 Zoom. Removable back cover too to replace the battery. And also xenon flash with a 2mp front camera. Plus of course the 2 power saving modes as per the S5. And a whole host of camera apps that are unique to this model.

The Samsung is almost 21mp rear camera but of course it uses optical zoom for cropping resolution. The 1020 uses oversampling in a 41mp sensor to achieve cropping resolution, so completely different approaches.

Even though it is slimmer than the S4 Zoom, it is still chunkier than the 1020 with quite a considerable camera hump and as far as I see, that is one drawback compared to the 1020.

Do you think this trounces the 1020 or not?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Its predecessor, the Samsung SM-C105A was pretty good. I mean, it takes really good pictures and I know because I own the SM-C105A but I'll wait until I see what it can do. On your question though, it takes a CAMERA to compete with the 1020. That speaks volumes about what Sammy thinks about the 1020. lol

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
apart from zoom-related stuff (and arguably HDR), Lumia 1020 wins in a damn lot of aspects

Optical Image Stabilisation
ability to reframe
easy manual control in the Nokia Camera
capturing images in RAW format

your move, K Zoom and Z2

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
doesn't the K zoom have OIS?

but it still seems too chunky to me to replace a smartphone with. if they could just put the 1020's camera into more modern hardware i would be in heaven. still my go to handset at the moment though. just crossing fingers for a 1030 with maybe an 801 or 805 SD in it!

but aside from having optical zoom the 1020 wins hands down for me.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Again they have attached a camera to a phone 😋 just to compete. The reviews and comparisons will be interesting to read. How ever the way tech is going probably in a 12 to 18 months Samsung would probably be able to shove a camera in slimmer shell. We already have several 20 mp phones from Nokia with no considerable bulge.
If the former Nokians figure out away to squeeze a 40+mp into phone with zero bulge they will be years ahead of the competition.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

but it still seems too chunky to me to replace a smartphone with. if they could just put the 1020's camera into more modern hardware i would be in heaven. still my go to handset at the moment though. just crossing fingers for a 1030 with maybe an 801 or 805 SD in it!

I tend to agree. I dearly wish Nokia would at the very least put say a Snapdragon 805 or some 6/8 core processor and a much larger battery. For me then, the 1020 would be perfect. I could live without micro SD but that would be the icing on the cake.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

Honestly, the processor wouldn't help as much as putting it onto a 5" 1080p screen. Both of those put together will make a beast of a camera phone.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, the processor wouldn't help as much as putting it onto a 5" 1080p screen. Both of those put together will make a beast of a camera phone.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about the display resolution. Imagine if the 1020 had not only a full HD display, but the now coming out quad HD displays. Imagine viewing those 41mp images on that.

Praveen Rajendran

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't matter. It took sammy to even match(or slightly leapfrog) 1020. I can only imagine what the next gen version of 1020 would do.
I have decided that I will only upgrade from 1020 when Nokia/MS release a next gen of 1020. I am not downgrading on my camera for a new phone. Eventhough my friends wont switch platform from iPhones, my 1020 has always been their envy when it comes to taking pictures.(And when we hangout my friends prefer to pose for 1020 than their own iPhones - true story). So I absolutely not giving it up for any lesser Windows phones, let alone android.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Trounces? No. Competes? Yes. Beats? No. For one it's a Samsung product, which means they left a few stones uncovered. It's too thick. It's too much of a camera than a phone. Meaning they built the phone around the camera. Is it a complete mess? No. I sure its a good product but when you look at it as a whole it does not beat the Lumia 1020. I was suprised Sammy didn't go for a Higher definition screen a or at least 3 GB ram and the internal storage could have easily been better. Why does Samsung not pull the trigger. They can do all this easily. And on top of all that 20MP camera. Honestly is Nokia the only company brave enough to go to a 40mp for real? If all they did extra was through in a 40 mp I would have said yes. Cause that would mean it has 40 mp and 10x optical zoom. That would have made the bulkiness ok.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't matter. It took sammy to even match(or slightly leapfrog) 1020. I can only imagine what the next gen version of 1020 would do.
I have decided that I will only upgrade from 1020 when Nokia/MS release a next gen of 1020. I am not downgrading on my camera for a new phone. Eventhough my friends wont switch platform from iPhones, my 1020 has always been their envy when it comes to taking pictures.(And when we hangout my friends prefer to pose for 1020 than their own iPhones - true story). So I absolutely not giving it up for any lesser Windows phones, let alone android.

You just can't shake that 40MP. There's no getting away from the truth. I hope the next gen isn't less than 40mp, else I'll be pissed. However if MS ever released a 6inch 40mp camera phone, I will be their loyal minion for life. That phone would sustain my every need, Forever!!!

Marc Calabrese

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Nokia 1020: Windows Phone
Galaxy K Zoon: Android
Enough said.

Sorry WP...love the 1020, but love the Android operating system more....I'll likely make the switch.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You just can't shake that 40MP. There's no getting away from the truth. I hope the next gen isn't less than 40mp, else I'll be pissed. However if MS ever released a 6inch 40mp camera phone, I will be their loyal minion for life. That phone would sustain my every need, Forever!!!
That would rock.

They're should also be a camera grip accessory that has a 10x optical zoom lens on it. That way you get the best of both worlds. It can be slim when you want it to be, or on certain occasions you can used the grip with zoom.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I love Windows Phone too much to go back to another Android phone. I mean, I'm sure I could, but as it stands, nope. I'm quite​ happy with my Lumia 1020.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
That would rock.

They're should also be a camera grip accessory that has a 10x optical zoom lens on it. That way you get the best of both worlds. It can be slim when you want it to be, or on certain occasions you can used the grip with zoom.

WPCentral covered a grip (I don't remember it's name but search for camera grip on WPCentral and it should show up). It's not awesome but it's a great start.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
Nokia 1020: Windows Phone
Galaxy K Zoon: Android
Enough said.

Sorry WP...love the 1020, but love the Android operating system more....I'll likely make the switch.

Android may very well be a good OS, but nothing about it screams must have.
Samsung reels people in with hardware specs alone then they throw countless features at you that do nothing but drain your battery faster (airview, etc.).
I carry a Note 3 as well as my 1020 and always use my 1020 as my primary phone. The real estate of the Note is excellent, but I only have it for the S-pen and some apps that either run poorly on Windows Phone or are not there at all.
I love the 41 MP camera on the 1020 and see Samsung's "camera phones" as a camera with phone functionality rather than the opposite. Sure, it looks like a phone, but only to put it in a niche market.

I will stick with my 1020 as my phone with an incredible camera and carry my Note for my paltry Android needs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss