What should I do? Move back to Android?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That's the only thing I see when trolls post.

Interesting, so I am guessing you could not form a response to my post so instead a personal attack was better for you. I understand.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, so I am guessing you could not form a response to my post so instead a personal attack was better for you. I understand.

I don't need to respond to you and your trolling. I came here and posted a few top ideas to fix a problem that was stated. Maybe it was already covered because I didn't read the whole thread.

But the fact is, you did not come here to help. You came here to cause trouble.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't need to respond to you and your trolling. I came here and posted a few top ideas to fix a problem that was stated. Maybe it was already covered because I didn't read the whole thread.

But the fact is, you did not come here to help. You came here to cause trouble.

Ahhh, I responded with my help post already. I did not mean to cause trouble. Trouble is usually caused when certain posters think its their duty to call out others.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
To get back on topic I really feel that if you feel a pull to another OS, get a phone from that OS with the latest OS and see how it feels. That gives you an idea whether you want to move there permanently.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Here's my story....
I too had the first Galaxy phone,both myself and wife did. While she isn't a power user,I always have been.
The learning curve back then to customize them,was ling and steep,just to remove the bloat ware was a hassle.
It got easier with each iteration of Android from Cup cake on,and the developers where on it day in and say out. Then came the locked boot loaders and Knox and things changed. They were defeated,but to me Android lost it's luster. When the Slim Roms came into being the Captivate was great,but lacked in screen size for me,however for my wife she didn't want anything else.
I have had all of the Galaxy series rooted and run custom roms on them. Some needed a lot of attention to keep running some like my Note II were fairly stable.
Heck,I've even built my own roms with the kitchens ,themes as well,and it's fun if that's what you want to do....I've even had a few IPhones 4 and 4s and they were ok too,but needed to be jail broken to really shine.
At the end of March,my Note 2 started to fail,and I needed a new phone. I looked at all available and what was soon to be out,looking to the future as well. I had been watching Microsoft knowing for some time what they have plans for on being fully integrated across all platforms,and seeing that they are getting closer to this decided to make the switch now to be here when it happens in a year or so.
I knew the apps weren't as plentiful yet,but knew once the developers were all on the same page it isn't going to take to long for them to be better.It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand this.
So,I traded in my Note II and my wife did the same with her Captivate.She got the 1020,I got the 1520.
Are there differences,sure but ask yourself what you need to be happy. Split screens are ok,but I can minimize mine and continue with whatever I am doing.
Most any app you had,you can find or a suitable replacement for, productivity for me is just as good on WP and knowing that this OS is only going to grow by leaps and bounds from here on makes me happy . There will always be tradeoffs,but look to the future and what it holds for you as well.

Mac

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
PS. If there's a grammar mistake please pardon me as I'm not a native speaker. Greetings from Barcelona.:D

Go Barca!!!!! :). Also, don't leave Windows Phone man. There will be improvements soon and battery usage will get better. If you're running 8.1, hold on longer. The Android phones that will outlast your WP are ones with HUGE batteries. You can always upgrade to the 1520 and get a much larger battery. Remember, the 920 is somewhat an older phone now. I think 2 years?

Warren_S

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I just made the move back to Android four days ago. I had a Lumia 521 on T-Mobile. I needed maps, messaging and Internet Explorer which were all fine on Windows Phone. But the problem was I needed my TuneIn Radio and iHeart Radio apps, and I needed a functional music player. Both failures on Windows Phone. The radio apps crashed (or error coded) and disconnected too much. And the playlist function on my phone was non functional and constant duplicate songs. So I got a Verizon Moto G (I know only 3G speeds but they seem stable). Anyway. Everything works perfectly. Zero errors and no disconnects during driving with the radio apps. (maybe a Verizon vs. T-Mobile thing) but I'm blown away that all my frustration were gone.

But one thing jumps out after four days on the Android is how much easier it was to "one hand" navigate the Windows Phone. The up/down and side-to-side swiping really is convenient. And the simplicity of the Windows Phone interface really grew on me. Like in Address Book mode being able to hit the letter "B" button to bring up the whole alphabet to poke the "S" button to quickly get to the esses, all very easy and quick with one hand is genius.

I know there are complaints about the lack of apps, but here is an example the joy of simplicity on the Windows Phone. It was so easy on Windows to get, and play, my Adam Carolla podcast. I go back to Android and get the same Podcast Addict App that I used before with Android, and could not believe the complexity of it. It's an awesome app with a zillion menus and customization, small stuff thats hard to figure. I'm using curse words at my new Android phone now...ha. So it started me appreciating the large simple Windows layout. I know it's an app complaint not an OS complaint, and I did go to a simpler Android odcast App, but it's an example of the whole comparison between the over-complexity versus ease of use and simple swiping. (My opinion only...no bashing).

So my verdict is if Verizon (maybe T-Mobile was part of my TuneIn App connectivity problem instead Of Windows, although I got some radio app errors using WiFi too) could get the cheap upcoming Nokia 635 and the music player and radio apps start to work. I'd be back....maybe

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't have battery problems with my 920, but you might have some success if you buy a wireless charging pad (they are ridiculously cheap now) and keep it topped off at work. Good luck!

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
... and maybe the stupid and crappy shop assistant was right (and that's what pisses me off the most).

The thing is, what should I do? What would you do? And if someone has read so far, please answer and tell me your story and your opinions.

Thank you so much.:DD:excited:
PS. If there's a grammar mistake please pardon me as I'm not a native speaker. Greetings from Barcelona.:D

I honestly can't say I've been having any battery issues as of ever, but if I found the experience on Android to be that much better... I'd switch in a heartbeat. Then again I've been using WP not for the hardware or UI, but for the fact it's Microsoft. (Not a fan of Google or Apple's terms of usage.) While I do wish you'd stick to Windows Phone, the allure of apps, developer love, and choices is pretty hard to ignore. By all means, you shouldn't be doing a soul search between phone OSes. If Android really impressed you that much, go ahead and take the plunge. Worst comes to worst, you'll be back here in a year or so.

On a side note: That shop assistant was full of it. I don't think any smartphone OS is "crap" by any metric, and being so... terrible as a sales person alienates a sizable potential customer base.

juaanmii920

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
If Windows Phone didn't succeed, I would begrudgingly and with anxiety get an Android with all kinds of monitoring apps and virus checkers and hope those apps had no viruses. If Android fell too, then I would get a beeper.

I laughed too much with the beeper thing. Then again, you're absolutely right.

juaanmii920

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
First of all, I want to thank you all for taking the time to read and answer this post.

Also, I would like to make myself clear and say that I really love my WP and my Lumia, I'm not saying that I want to either change in a heartbeat to an Android (or a Lagdroid as some of you funnily say) or to a Galaxy S4. I just said that the feeling, compared with my ex Galaxy S1, is very superior.
In addition, not an Apple fun only for the high prices only, there are more. And not a pro-gamer or apps-obsessed but i like my apps fully-functional and with at least the same features as the same app in other OSs.

Finally and with your help, I made up my mind.

I changed to WP for a reason and I'm gonna stick to that. You're very right when you guys say that updates and developers are coming and my issues are probably (or surely) going to be resolved and I also share, as some of you do, the feeling of uniqueness of having this phone (although I don't like the feeling I get when I want to buy a case for my Lumia and they basically sell cases for Samsung or iPhone).
As I said, I'm going to be with my L920 for another year (minimum) and probably get a new WP device after this.

Again, thanks to every and each one of you for your answers.:DD

anon(5816156)

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Have sam exact problem here. Was on Lumia 820, switched to Xperia SP and then back to the Lumia 820 again (Mostly because of the RAM which WAS terrible and took just okay photos.)

But just one month after switch back, I suddenly became bored of WP somehow (and I am on WP8.1). I changed the tiles, the background but I am still bored. Admittedly, apps are not as much and good as on Google Play. So now, I miss my Xperia SP. Since I am due on upgrade months later, my choice will be Vibe Z (Lenovo), Galaxy S5, Oppo Find 7a or Xperia Z1 (You heard that right, the Z1). Three of these phones has the same price, except S5.

Nokia is not a choice for me since the X series is too low on specs. And WP is just no anymore. RAMs on all of these Android phones are high enough to address my issues.
It's your choice actually. I must say when I used the SP, I was impressed with Android for customizing and its speed (RAM is terrible after 4.3 update and even then it was fixed). Android is not as bad as it was. :)

EDIT :
(Woots, it seems I was too late lol)

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Like I said, it's always about preferences. I'm no ****** of any OS or phone. I love the customization of Android (I make my own widgets with Zooper Pro), I like how my iPhone seamlessly works with my car stereo and its smoothness, and I love the live tiles and smoothness of WP.

I left iPhone for Android because I got tired of jailbreaking it to get the functionality I needed...I left Android for WP because I got tired of rooting and flashing ROMs it to get the stability I needed. I bought another iPhone because I didn't need to jailbreak anymore, but to me it felt like they tried too hard to give more to its users and it feels like a cluttered mess with iOS 7. I decided to buy the N5 for no branding and Kit Kat. I was pleased, but with the more customization you add, the less performance you get out of the phone...I was back to rooting and flashing to overclock and get a smoother OS with the deep customization. With WP, especially with WP8.1, I feel I don't have to do anything in order to get what I need. I got live tiles and some customization... not to mention a smooth OS.

That's why I laugh when people talk less of an OS. I understand that this is a WP forum, but with my experience with all 3 OS it's what you do with your phone that makes it "virus-ridden," or lagging or whatever the problem is...not the phone itself. Android is not laggy and virus-prone out of the box...it's what a person puts on it and downloads to it that makes it that way.

Anyways, glad we could help on your decision. Like I said in my last post though, nothing's wrong with having more than one OS.

nakialj

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I will be honest here me personally use my Nokia 920 as my daily driver. Android is good so I have windows and android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
25%/hour of battery usage seems insane, are you constantly using the phone during the hour? My battery life increased from five to 6~7% per hour after 8.1 and I already feel the annoyance...is there any random app that you might've downloaded sometimes in the past that's running in the background causing the problem?

Anyway, like everyone said I think it really just depends on you. I personally have 360+ apps downloaded (about 300 installed) on my L920, some are of (much) lower quality than others, but overall all my needs are satisfied. I also have the second gen. Nexus 7 for my android experience; sure it has more apps, some of great quality, but the inconsistency between each app and each interface is really a deal breaker for me in terms of future android purchase. Plus, while there are more potential choices, after testing a number of them you will eventually end up with just one or two for each type of app, which are likely available on WP8 as well. To be honest, Android really feels like the internet in late 90s/early 2000s, full of cheap programs with all the ad placement and random plugins that will eventually slow your device down. So at least for that reason I will stay with WP a while longer.

In anycase, perhaps get an android phone to try for a week or two, worst come you can return it and maybe pay a re-shelving fee; then you will know first hand which phone you prefer.

carlos12001

May 1, 2014
Visit site
25%/hour of battery usage seems insane, are you constantly using the phone during the hour? My battery life increased from five to 6~7% per hour after 8.1 and I already feel the annoyance...is there any random app that you might've downloaded sometimes in the past that's running in the background causing the problem?

Anyway, like everyone said I think it really just depends on you. I personally have 360+ apps downloaded (about 300 installed) on my L920, some are of (much) lower quality than others, but overall all my needs are satisfied. I also have the second gen. Nexus 7 for my android experience; sure it has more apps, some of great quality, but the inconsistency between each app and each interface is really a deal breaker for me in terms of future android purchase. Plus, while there are more potential choices, after testing a number of them you will eventually end up with just one or two for each type of app, which are likely available on WP8 as well. To be honest, Android really feels like the internet in late 90s/early 2000s, full of cheap programs with all the ad placement and random plugins that will eventually slow your device down. So at least for that reason I will stay with WP a while longer.

In anycase, perhaps get an android phone to try for a week or two, worst come you can return it and maybe pay a re-shelving fee; then you will know first hand which phone you prefer.
I totally agree, I despise Android for the huge mess that it is. I just can't believe wp8 gets overlooked all the time for Android devices..... Makes me think most people have bad taste 👅..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss