Viruses

scroog

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I haven't run into an issue, but my friends claims he got a virus from a fake Facebook. Can they defy the sandbox now? Also are apps for my surface and windows 8 laptop sandboxed as well?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't run into an issue, but my friends claims he got a virus from a fake Facebook. Can they defy the sandbox now? Also are apps for my surface and windows 8 laptop sandboxed as well?

Yes, any app running in the metro environment is sandboxed, on WP8.x, W8.1 and RT. What constitutes a sandbox is different on each OS however. Anyway, note that confining apps to a sandbox doesn't mean your device is immune to infection. The sandbox only limits the damage a virus can do once an infection has occurred.

You didn't say what platform your friend is using, but since you are on WPC, I'll assume your friend has a WP device. To date not a single security researcher in the world has encountered an effective virus on WP. The chances that your friend is the first person in the world to encounter such a thing is extremely small.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nope, one did make a virus. But was it hackteam ???

I think your are mistaking rumors for fact. WPC also reported on HackingTeam's claims and this is how WPC wrapped up their article:

Again, these are claims being made by HackingTeam and could be completely bogus.

HackingTeam's website is all about marketing, and salesmen will always tell you their product can do anything. Considering that none of the secrity bulletins I follow have mentioned Galileo's ability to remotely infect a Windows Phone (that is the name of HackingTeam's offensive security product), I'll say this is complete BS. If you disagree I'd like to see any evidence to the contrary.

What I think Hackingteam is actually advertising, is Galileo's ability to eavesdrop on encrypted Skype conversations. That requires that at least one participant uses a system which they can remotely infect. If Galileo can do that, it doesn't matter what the other participants are using. In that sense they can eavesdrop on a Skype conversation to a WP device, however, that doesn't constitute a successful attack against a WP device.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In the interest of saving my 'breath,' I think searching for existing threads regarding virii would be helpful.

We aren't trying to be close-minded, but there simply has been no significant evidence countering the current state of WP security.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss