Windows Phone 8.1 vs Android 4.4.2

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Guys ....there is no doubt that android is decades ahead of us in terms of apps .... Both in terms of quantity and quality............ But apart from that......i like WP in every single aspect....

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My brother has a Nexus 4 - no lag even after 8 months of use. Android isn't really that laggy when it comes to high end devices.

Thats the point, only on highend phones.
You need a state of the art, highend topnotch device only for a good android experience?
What is wrong with this picture.
They should build there o.s. so that it runs great on all devices, not only the top notch.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Guys ....there is no doubt that android is decades ahead of us in terms of apps .... Both in terms of quantity and quality............ But apart from that......i like WP in every single aspect....

Is that so?
You forget to mention after quantity and qualtity there comes outdated, abandoned, obsolete, dublicates......
How many apps are truly working on all devices not only the newer ones but also on the older phones,
how many apps are just copies of other apps.
I bet that your choise is somewhat limited if you running a droid with low specs

If i pic apps from the wp store they mostely work
If i do that from the Playstore, its always a gamble
Take the wpcentral app, after almost each comment i place it crashes.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
@MazoMark
"For example, I listen to a lot of podcasts. I've searched WP for a good podcasting app, and the best I've found is Podcast Lounge, and it wouldn't even make top 10 list on Android. Pocketcasts or Doggcatcher on Android have tons more functionality."
Ton's more? Such as? Listen, share, delete. What else do you do with them?

patrickwee

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Facebook integration is good ? I don't think so, if the developer never fix the"see more" I will definitely disagree ! Whereby this fxxking "see more"always take me to internet explorer instead of open it directly through the apps itself !

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
You guys got me wrong....i didn't meant the fb app is ****...... If this thread is about comparison between andro and windi... That's why I compared these two popular apps..... And believe me folks android has won it....

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
@MazoMark
"For example, I listen to a lot of podcasts. I've searched WP for a good podcasting app, and the best I've found is Podcast Lounge, and it wouldn't even make top 10 list on Android. Pocketcasts or Doggcatcher on Android have tons more functionality."
Ton's more? Such as? Listen, share, delete. What else do you do with them?

Podcast Lounge doesn't even do that reliably. At least 50% of time if I pause playback, when I return to a downloaded podcast, it won't restart. I have to delete the podcast from current playlist and then reopen it to get it to start playback from where I paused.

How about variable speed playback, notification when new episodes of subscribed podcasts are released, ability to store downloaded podcasts in custom folder location, ability to synch playback location across multiple devices, etc. All of these functions and more are available in Pocketcasts on Android. Maybe some of these functions are available and I haven't found them yet.

Torch4x4

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Went to a trip for the weekend and I tested my WP 8.1 with cortana and navigation, also websites and navigation, I don't know if is the same on Android but my experience with WP was really great, I went to Albuquerque, NM. (my daughter in elementary had a competition in robotics), once I was there I found a Breaking Bad Tour website listing all filming locations, it was great to see how the browser recognizes all addresses as hyperlinks to Nokia Here Drive, dates or days as hyperlinks to calendar/appointments, etc. etc. also cortana was very helpful while driving and finding locations, not sure if could be better in android but I'm more than satisfied with WP8.1

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
you must be using a low end model or have issues with your WP device because mine, even on 8.1 DP, runs smooth...no "stutters" or "lags terribly".

If you run back to Android make sure you go with a device that runs stock

Mine 925 does it too (the 1020 also does it) both on 8.1 dp and wp8

Sent from my Lumia 925 wp8.1 from Tapatalk

Mohammad Arshad

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5, and a Lumia 1520. In general every day usage (browsing the web, youtube/metrotube and gaming) I don't see much difference between the two.

Two issues though with WP8.1, firstly the Facebook app in windows phone 8.1 is very poorly made. This is why 8/10 times I just use the Facebook website. Secondly Here maps is no substitute for google maps, at least for me here in Hong Kong.

But never the less these are app related issues, and nothing to do with the platform itself.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Like a lot of the commenters here, I'd have t agree with it being about perception. For example, if there wasn't a notification center for Andriod, how else could you have a fast and fluid way to be notified about your information? With WP you always had the live tiles which even before the action center provide more fluid information from that apps most important to you. Now with action center that is magnified with ease of access for wifi, airplane mode, and things like that. I've asked friends on both iOS and Andriod, how fast can you send out a group email to your closest friends on facebook, or see what your sister posted on twitter, while looking at what your wife posted on Facebook? That answer is you can't without opening both apps. Like one person posted, this is what makes WP unique. Somone mentioned about Myfitness Pal. I actually liked that app, but if you looked at Bing Health and Fitness, you might not want to use Myfitness Pal again. We are creatures of habit, and sometimes breaking those habits are harder then making new ones. WP doesn't have all the apps, and some of the renditions aren't as good, but they have some apps that are just flat out better. 6tag is better then instagram on any platform. Mix radio was so good on WP that Nokia made it available for Andriod, but it's still not better. Off line navigation on Here Drive and Here +. Drive mode native to the phone that turns on the moment you start you vehicle to shut off all incoming notifications. Cortana that even in beta is on par with Siri and Google Now. A photo experience that has been on top since Nokia released the 920 over two years ago. The best start screen display of any platfrom. If you noticed iOS 7 adoped flat displays, and the HTC One seems to have live tile like functionality.

To fully accept WP from Andriod or iOS you're going to have to fully except a different approach to what you're used to. A lot of people that I work with who have complained about Andriods myraid of apps included at purchase of the phone that you can't delete, or stoping certain apps from running in the background, or finding out how the widgets work. Yet, the shear look of how foreign WP looks, is enough to keep them with what they have dispite the complaints. Just like moving from Windows 7 to Windows 8. It seemed like such an evolutionary jump because of the appearance. As for apps like Hangout, the Rooms feature on WP is far more integratable and connected, you just need to have Windows Phones to show it.
I had a gmail account when I bought my first Andriod as you needed one to set it up. I really never used it, because I still had yahoo. I did like that fluidity that it seemed to have with everything else google. I had a hotmail account that I used a little with yahoo upgrading their service and when I purchased my WP I created a Live account. I like how easy I was able to integrate everything with my live account to include my outlook account which I used at work so things were easy to understand. Skype integrates completely with your MS account and with Cortana integration, it will start to show it's true potential. Another reason why I think WP got away from the whole Me tile integration was to open the doors for Skype messenger to take a more prominant role. We'll see.

The one thing I can say is while Andriod and iOS are on top, you best believe they hear WP coming up from behind.

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
All I want to say is, one should not judge another OS without actually trying it for a few weeks. I've tried all 3 and I've concluded that FEATURE wise, Android>WP>iOS

I wish to see WP users being able to set default apps in the near future and allow us to sort the app list by most used.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
All I want to say is, one should not judge another OS without actually trying it for a few weeks. I've tried all 3 and I've concluded that FEATURE wise, Android>WP>iOS

I wish to see WP users being able to set default apps in the near future and allow us to sort the app list by most used.
Add settings to that suggestion too. But yeah, at the top of both, have a "Most Used" section, which contains 5 shortcuts in settings and 10 for apps, and alphabetically sort the settings, please.

Shubhendu Singh

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Its laughable to even think this is even closer to android.
I have many problems with WP but i can really ignore all of them if OTHER storageeproblem is resolved in WP8.1
Only 7days in after a hard reset and 1.9GB in Other which lefts me with 0.00Kb of space.
Yup, that's rite, for 2 days i have a fluctuating internal memory of 0kb n 2mb.
Means page loads a Lil slow, almost every app refuses to load(wpcentral cant load news), no streaming AT ALL.., cant even check my mail.
Just fix this goddamn issue and i will turn status back to "WP is ok with Lil problems".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb