Windows Phone 8.1 vs Android 4.4.2

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it sounds like a Samsung issue then.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

It sounds like an issue with the holy grail android devices, best selling brand world wide. Whether the android fans decide that samsungs android isn't 'true android' is their own battles to fight...they are android devices with issues. If people would rather clarify they mean Nexus runs 'proper droid' then it should be opinionated different when making the statements. I honestly do not care as I prefer WP and think each OS suits different people, but its the ones who need to stress WP a fail that annoy most here.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like an issue with the holy grail android devices, best selling brand world wide. Whether the android fans decide that samsungs android isn't 'true android' is their own battles to fight...they are android devices with issues. If people would rather clarify they mean Nexus runs 'proper droid' then it should be opinionated different when making the statements. I honestly do not care as I prefer WP and think each OS suits different people, but its the ones who need to stress WP a fail that annoy most here.

I am not an Android purists, hell I never brought up "true android" at all. I actually detest Nexus devices, I don't buy Nexus nor do I buy Samsung so I don't care for either. FYI, just because something sells well does not mean it is flawless.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Unfortunately these types always will. They can't see the forest for all of the trees.

The Nexus series phones aren't without many of the same issues that Android phones by Samsung have. I've seen battery issues,connectivity issues.speaker issues,power button issues, all phones made by every phone company with ever os has them.

To me there is only 1 thing better about Any Android phone over a WP.....and that is the ability to root it and run a custom rom on it, to be a honest about it, there are more reasons to need to do this with a Android phone than a WP. Look at what has happened with the latest official 4.4 firmware vs 8.0. When you purposely remove SD card support and the ability to load and run apps and games on it, is a huge step backwards. You have to root and have custom roms to correct this,and it requires a downgrade to a previous firmware ( kernel)

WP 8.0 is pretty solid and stable as far as that goes, and minus a few apps,and a few kiddy games is more than on par with Android or IOS.

Now,I will say WP 8.0 my not be in many folks eye as polished as IOS or Android it is stable and doesn't have to take a backseat to either,at least we don't have to root them to work as they should, or have to wait as long before we have updates to them for new changes.

One other thing......with WP we have a 3 solid alternative.

Mac

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Looking back, two different people lambasted me for asking , then others liked their snarky responses, but no one suggested apps to cover the question.

Neato

You've received your answers 1000 times, here and on xda. I'm honestly shocked you've been so persistent

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I am not an Android purists, hell I never brought up "true android" at all. I actually detest Nexus devices, I don't buy Nexus nor do I buy Samsung so I don't care for either. FYI, just because something sells well does not mean it is flawless.

i have alot of droids and my nexus 5 and 7 are certainly the best android devices ive ever used
i agree , samsung is terrible,ive been burnt multiple times(note 1,2 etc)
true android is amazing but google forces u to use their services is something i hate(google+,hangouts etc)
i prefer wp8.1 anyday except google now is more convenient than cortana sometimes(i know its in beta and will get there) like during flights , travel etc

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
i have alot of droids and my nexus 5 and 7 are certainly the best android devices ive ever used
i agree , samsung is terrible,ive been burnt multiple times(note 1,2 etc)
true android is amazing but google forces u to use their services is something i hate(google+,hangouts etc)
i prefer wp8.1 anyday except google now is more convenient than cortana sometimes(i know its in beta and will get there) like during flights , travel etc

But doesn't Microsoft force you to use their services for Windows Phone? It's even worse there because you don't have the option to not use Microsoft services, if I really wanted to, I could get rid of all the Google stuff on my phone and use Amazon stuff instead. It's just easier to use Google Services on Android.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
But doesn't Microsoft force you to use their services for Windows Phone? It's even worse there because you don't have the option to not use Microsoft services, if I really wanted to, I could get rid of all the Google stuff on my phone and use Amazon stuff instead. It's just easier to use Google Services on Android.

I actually initially only used it to log in to the store. It's not really pushed on you like it is on Android with Google everywhere. As I realized how much better. Microsoft's services were, I transitioned but I never had to invest in Microsoft's services to use the device like I often did with Android.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I actually initially only used it to log in to the store. It's not really pushed on you like it is on Android with Google everywhere. As I realized how much better. Microsoft's services were, I transitioned but I never had to invest in Microsoft's services to use the device like I often did with Android.

Really? I find that most third-party apps and services cannot integrate properly with WP, thus forcing you naturally towards MS apps and services. For example, web links can only open by default in IE, not in UC browser. However, on Android you can set your default browser to anything you like. Similarly, keyboard can't be changed on WP, third party cloud apps cannot be as integrated as Skydrive, music/video player will always be system default, only store apps can be installed and no third-party app stores (like the Amazon App Store) can be used. All these can be changed with Android. Though I personally feel it's good that some of these are locked down.

With an Android, you could theoretically never input a Google account and still get a decent app experience from Amazon and other places. With WP, you must sign in to the whole phone (not just the store) just to install apps. While WP is overall better as an OS, it's not at all true that WP is better with third party services than Android.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Really? I find that most third-party apps and services cannot integrate properly with WP, thus forcing you naturally towards MS apps and services. For example, web links can only open by default in IE, not in UC browser. However, on Android you can set your default browser to anything you like. Similarly, keyboard can't be changed on WP, third party cloud apps cannot be as integrated as Skydrive, music/video player will always be system default, only store apps can be installed and no third-party app stores (like the Amazon App Store) can be used. All these can be changed with Android. Though I personally feel it's good that some of these are locked down.

With an Android, you could theoretically never input a Google account and still get a decent app experience from Amazon and other places. With WP, you must sign in to the whole phone (not just the store) just to install apps. While WP is overall better as an OS, it's not at all true that WP is better with third party services than Android.

lolwut
first off android is complicated and annoying when it prompts u to ask you where to open something
tap a music icon,itll ask u which music apk, which app or whatever
u dont need another keyboard , androids swype is terrible, wp have a much better typing experience
as for apps without a google account- good luck downloading malware from third party sources or good luck without apps on a smart phone
microsoft doesnt force u to use a pathetic service like google+ or lame hangouts or spying google now atleast
u need to login with an account on any os these days- the point is why force google play services , google + and hangouts on everyone?
atleast microsoft doesnt do that and has much better quality services

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Never implied you were an Android ****** or that best selling means flawless, if anything something that sells at the magnitude of Galaxy models makes minor issues easier to find so more are using the devices. My statement was just an opinion of the Android defenses i see on Facebook or in public when someone mentions they use anything other than Droid, i used to think Apple fans were brand loyal-crazy, which they are, but Droid fans are on a whole other level. A lot of their points are valid and dandy, but to shove opinions down peoples throats is just irritating.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

i can just say this- whaaat?
dude doing that is just time consuming and loses the natural feel of the phone
dont compare microsoft services and google
i dont see my windows phone prompting me to use services like google+,hangouts etc
it only wants my microsoft id to download apps (and others which are optional)
google is like an open book-shows ur downloaded apps and reviews to all ur friends without consent
as for amazon services , good luck with lesser apps than even symbian

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

You could? When i had my S3 and after months figured out disabling/killing google related processes helped save battery, it in turn made mt device run at a crawl or generate tons of connectivity issues (as suspected since majority of the google processes running Android back then were used to function the OS). MS tries to have the users use Windows related apps/ecosystem on WP, much like Apple with iOS and Google with Android. So while i cant say your statement isnt true since im not exactly sure, i find what you say hard to believe.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Never implied you were an Android ****** or that best selling means flawless, if anything something that sells at the magnitude of Galaxy models makes minor issues easier to find so more are using the devices. My statement was just an opinion of the Android defenses i see on Facebook or in public when someone mentions they use anything other than Droid, i used to think Apple fans were brand loyal-crazy, which they are, but Droid fans are on a whole other level. A lot of their points are valid and dandy, but to shove opinions down peoples throats is just irritating.

+1000000 so true, my thoughts exactly
its on my tech wish list of things
android users feel any other os is inferior
ive seen my friends go from iphone to android then to windows phone and they only talk about how bad android really is in certain ways
my android touting friends on the other hand act like we wp and ios users are non-existent etc and dont have a clue about anything but android and love generalising only to be proven wrong by people like me who have used (and still use) devices of every os

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
8.1 on my 1020, 4.4.2 on my Nexus 7. Feels good man. That is my first Android device after saying I would never touch Android. It really came down to Apps and I couldn't afford an iPad Mini right now. Really wanted a DVP, but that wouldn't help my App issues at all, unfortunately.

OsamaAdam98

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
lolwut
first off android is complicated and annoying when it prompts u to ask you where to open something
tap a music icon,itll ask u which music apk, which app or whatever
u dont need another keyboard , androids swype is terrible, wp have a much better typing experience

Who gets annoyed when prompted to set a default app (Considering it asks you once for every type of application)? why would you bother using windows PC anyway then?
And what's Android Swype ? :| Swype available is available on Android, Windows 7 tablets, Windows mobile and even Bada and Meego but not Windows phone or iOS because of the stupid restrictions. and Swype is by no means terrible (Not saying Windows phone's built in keyboard is bad either).

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Who gets annoyed when prompted to set a default app (Considering it asks you once for every type of application)? why would you bother using windows PC anyway then?
And what's Android Swype ? :| Swype available is available on Android, Windows 7 tablets, Windows mobile and even Bada and Meego but not Windows phone or iOS because of the stupid restrictions. and Swype is by no means terrible (Not saying Windows phone's built in keyboard is bad either).

dude first off i meant swiftkey not swype so my apologies on that
swiftkey is terrible compared to wp keyboard
windows pcs are different in handling different apps unlike android which will prompt u like 1000 times a day for every app thats not even comparable- do u see windows media player or winamp open up when u double click a vlc icon on a windows pc??
its annoying when it keeps asking u the default app if u have multiple apps of the same use and if it prompts u so many times?
ios and windows phone dont need the "extra features" android posseses, the stock apps are enough to get u thru unlike android where u are forced to use oem stuff or fall and use google services especially hangouts and google+ or use third party stuff which steals info
android is complicated and ridden with issues which ios and android dont have because of "restrictions"

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

There's a bit too much attitude and not enough resolution here. Not you but the people against you. Ultimately, you're right about IE. It's all we'll have as a default, at least until a big name makes another browser. I don't know how the keyboard is necessarily a Microsoft service but yes, you are such worth it. That said, it's proven to be the best in every regard and it wouldn't be plausible to open the ability to add keyboard without opening up several vulnerabilities. The music app is just that, an app. If they made you sign up for Xbox or Nokia music it'd be different. That's a service. As for third party app stores, it'd invite piracy. It's all about having the most secure OS in that regard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers