Windows Phone 8.1 vs Android 4.4.2

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Never implied you were an Android ****** or that best selling means flawless, if anything something that sells at the magnitude of Galaxy models makes minor issues easier to find so more are using the devices. My statement was just an opinion of the Android defenses i see on Facebook or in public when someone mentions they use anything other than Droid, i used to think Apple fans were brand loyal-crazy, which they are, but Droid fans are on a whole other level. A lot of their points are valid and dandy, but to shove opinions down peoples throats is just irritating.

I feel the same way if ever step into WPCentral Forums or Crackberry. I have to always admit Google is all seeing data hungry evil along with Apple being known for toy devices and being overpriced. Yet Microsoft, and BlackBerry can never do wrong. That's irritating.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
i can just say this- whaaat?
dude doing that is just time consuming and loses the natural feel of the phone
dont compare microsoft services and google
i dont see my windows phone prompting me to use services like google+,hangouts etc
it only wants my microsoft id to download apps (and others which are optional)
google is like an open book-shows ur downloaded apps and reviews to all ur friends without consent
as for amazon services , good luck with lesser apps than even symbian

My god, nothing you are saying is correct at ALL.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
You could? When i had my S3 and after months figured out disabling/killing google related processes helped save battery, it in turn made mt device run at a crawl or generate tons of connectivity issues (as suspected since majority of the google processes running Android back then were used to function the OS). MS tries to have the users use Windows related apps/ecosystem on WP, much like Apple with iOS and Google with Android. So while i cant say your statement isnt true since im not exactly sure, i find what you say hard to believe.

I did before. For maybe two-three days I used Amazon Appstore and services exclusively to see if I could do it. I did it and found out you can use an Android device devoid of Google entirely.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
dude first off i meant swiftkey not swype so my apologies on that
swiftkey is terrible compared to wp keyboard
windows pcs are different in handling different apps unlike android which will prompt u like 1000 times a day for every app thats not even comparable- do u see windows media player or winamp open up when u double click a vlc icon on a windows pc??
its annoying when it keeps asking u the default app if u have multiple apps of the same use and if it prompts u so many times?
ios and windows phone dont need the "extra features" android posseses, the stock apps are enough to get u thru unlike android where u are forced to use oem stuff or fall and use google services especially hangouts and google+ or use third party stuff which steals info
android is complicated and ridden with issues which ios and android dont have because of "restrictions"

Wow, you keep on going.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same way if ever step into WPCentral Forums or Crackberry. I have to always admit Google is all seeing data hungry evil along with Apple being known for toy devices and being overpriced. Yet Microsoft, and BlackBerry can never do wrong. That's irritating.

As someone who treks through all of the mobile nations forums, here's some tips.

iMore-There are other phones that aren't Apple? You must mean those saved by the bell cell phones.

AndroidCentral- There is no last and we have an intuitive UI. Also, Google would never do anything less than noble.

WPCentral- We're only third place because we were late to the party. We are the only OS bringing anything new to the table.

Crackberry- Uhm, remember BBM? It's a hell of a thing. Also, despite the infinite security flaws in the latest iteration of our OS we're so secure.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Argumentative deflection. I asked for offline applications, not harassment.

Could I get a moderator to look into this ?

Here's one, Nokia maps. It's an outstanding map service and should you check regularly for updates you'll find it hard not to love. Plus, unlike Google Maps it's a true offline service as opposed to downloading the directions now then using those directions to get to your destination. I've navigated from Texas to Florida and back with no issues.

OsamaAdam98

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
dude first off i meant swiftkey not swype so my apologies on that
swiftkey is terrible compared to wp keyboard
windows pcs are different in handling different apps unlike android which will prompt u like 1000 times a day for every app thats not even comparable- do u see windows media player or winamp open up when u double click a vlc icon on a windows pc??
its annoying when it keeps asking u the default app if u have multiple apps of the same use and if it prompts u so many times?
ios and windows phone dont need the "extra features" android posseses, the stock apps are enough to get u thru unlike android where u are forced to use oem stuff or fall and use google services especially hangouts and google+ or use third party stuff which steals info
android is complicated and ridden with issues which ios and android dont have because of "restrictions"

First, Swiftkey isn't terrible either not even compared to WP Keyboard in fact it's far more customizable than Swype and WP Keyboard.
Second, Android would ask you only once to set your default app for messaging, Emails or whatever and will never prompt again (Unless you reset default for a certain app, My last Android device was Gingerbread so sorry if I lack any new info)
On PC if say you set Chrome or Opera as your default browsers then you try to open IE you'll be prompted to set IE as your default browser.
Third, Yes every OS needs further customizations and since Android is the only open-source it has the edge obviously.
Last, I find myself forced to use Microsoft services exactly like I was forced to use Google services on Android.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Here's one, Nokia maps. It's an outstanding map service and should you check regularly for updates you'll find it hard not to love. Plus, unlike Google Maps it's a true offline service as opposed to downloading the directions now then using those directions to get to your destination. I've navigated from Texas to Florida and back with no issues.

Hey, that's much better! Google maps and navigation is only the beginning. It serves as a startng point to understanding the capabilities of a phone+gps antenna, but that's about it. The available apps n the market dwarf it on capabilities, thankfully.

Do you have any to suggest that can plot routes, record tracks, handle way points, and download different maps for offline usage like android applications oruxmaps, osmand, maverick, sygic, locus pro, back country navigator, and stand alone gps units?

If we're careful, this could turn into a great comparison of what is available, where everyone benefits!

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey, that's much better! Google maps and navigation is only the beginning. It serves as a startng point to understanding the capabilities of a phone+gps antenna, but that's about it. The available apps n the market dwarf it on capabilities, thankfully.

Do you have any to suggest that can plot routes, record tracks, handle way points, and download different maps for offline usage like android applications oruxmaps, osmand, maverick, sygic, locus pro, back country navigator, and stand alone gps units?

If we're careful, this could turn into a great comparison of what is available, where everyone benefits!

Cortana does a fair job in conjunction with here maps and Bing services but as that has been more than enough for me, I never ventured any further. In Google services, I see several that offer individual services like that but I'd hate to bounce back and forth between apps.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
My god, nothing you are saying is correct at ALL.

says the guy who only has android devices and doesnt even own a wp, come back and post after u get one before generalising
i OWN devices of EVERY os so yeah i have a better idea about this

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
First, Swiftkey isn't terrible either not even compared to WP Keyboard in fact it's far more customizable than Swype and WP Keyboard.
Second, Android would ask you only once to set your default app for messaging, Emails or whatever and will never prompt again (Unless you reset default for a certain app, My last Android device was Gingerbread so sorry if I lack any new info)
On PC if say you set Chrome or Opera as your default browsers then you try to open IE you'll be prompted to set IE as your default browser.
Third, Yes every OS needs further customizations and since Android is the only open-source it has the edge obviously.
Last, I find myself forced to use Microsoft services exactly like I was forced to use Google services on Android.

its not comparable to windows pcs, its like comparing grapes to watermelons
just read my post again
plus swiftkey has no dibs on wp keyboard, swype etc
one question for u- does microsoft force u to use skype as the default messaging app or ask u to share everything publicly with a service like google+?
android has changed since gingerbread, it prompts u each time u switch between say vlc and music apps
on a pc u can turn off the notification so it never asks u again
on android it will ask u ech time u switch from chrome to opera or any other similiar app

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
As someone who treks through all of the mobile nations forums, here's some tips.

iMore-There are other phones that aren't Apple? You must mean those saved by the bell cell phones.

AndroidCentral- There is no last and we have an intuitive UI. Also, Google would never do anything less than noble.

WPCentral- We're only third place because we were late to the party. We are the only OS bringing anything new to the table.

Crackberry- Uhm, remember BBM? It's a hell of a thing. Also, despite the infinite security flaws in the latest iteration of our OS we're so secure.

my thoughts exactly
the question remains why people hell bent on android keep commenting on a wp forum against wp but doesnt own a wp yet and generalises(not directed at you, its meant for the others in the thread)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Wow, you keep on going.

atleast i dont generalise by looking at an os from 5 feet away or the occasional checking phones in store
i OWN android, wp, ios , BB devices so yeah i know the exact differences and limits of each os
you dont have a wp yet and only have droids at the moment and are hell bent on generalising abt wp

a word of advice- get a windows phone and dont comment for atleast a week till u get a fair idea abt the difference
im sure ull never go back to android :)
wp does that :))

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Cortana does a fair job in conjunction with here maps and Bing services but as that has been more than enough for me, I never ventured any further. In Google services, I see several that offer individual services like that but I'd hate to bounce back and forth between apps.

No offline gps-centric applications to suggest at all ?

That was the point of the development question earlier. Its a really good metric for gauging current development currents in the app world:
Ios has motionx
Android has a bunch
Crackberry has.... Mmm not sure
Wp8 has... Ditto

When more folks chime in with THEIR favorite offline apps the picture painted will be much clearer, and folks will have more apps suggested to try out.

The devs might get tossed a bone in the process too.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
says the guy who only has android devices and doesnt even own a wp, come back and post after u get one before generalising
i OWN devices of EVERY os so yeah i have a better idea about this

Generalizing?? You are generalizing about Android. And they are incorrect generalizations at that. And, as it has been said before, I do not need to spend money on anything to voice an opinion here.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
atleast i dont generalise by looking at an os from 5 feet away or the occasional checking phones in store
i OWN android, wp, ios , BB devices so yeah i know the exact differences and limits of each os
you dont have a wp yet and only have droids at the moment and are hell bent on generalising abt wp

a word of advice- get a windows phone and dont comment for atleast a week till u get a fair idea abt the difference
im sure ull never go back to android :)
wp does that :))

No you don't, if you truly used Android you would know Google Plus does not share everything you do, and if you truly used Android you would know they don't steal your data. That is just incorrect. Then you deflect like you are super knowledgable, when it comes off as straight bashing Android.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Yes. I'd certainly love that. Is there any Windows phone app that can do offline GPS for public transport (buses, tube, tram, trains, etc) for the UK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo