06-20-2014 08:36 PM
26 12
tools
    This should get post should get some attention. Not every day where a forum member says they want to build the perfect windows phone. Anyway to get to the meat and potatoes of this I want to create the perfect windows phone and this is where I'd start. *Snapdragon 800 *5" LCD screen(to enable glance screen with 3rd party app) *2gb of RAM *Aluminum frame/VaporMG(I really like this metal but I doubt I could get any into production without Microsoft) with removable rear frame(sliding mechanism to reveal battery) * Swappable battery with the door to the SD card slot there too * Hardware buttons for search, start, back, and camera. *As for design think Zune HD but prettier. Anyway if ANYONE has any tips on how to bring this to reality please let me know as currently I can't access parts to build this.
    05-24-2014 09:56 PM
    All I can offer is a hell-o and welcome to WPC!

Keep up with the design ideas someday you may see it come true good friend...
    05-24-2014 10:06 PM
    Hey welcome to WPCentral !
    Your design idea is my dream phone and a note here , it would be a perfect windows 8.1 phone :D
    05-25-2014 12:06 AM
    Hi and welcome to WPCentral. I'd love to see some pictures of your concept device if you have already created them.
    05-25-2014 12:14 AM
    Welcome to WPCentral! I hope we can all custom order our WPs one day to choose what specs and body we want. That would be awesome!
    Guytronic and peacefulberry like this.
    05-25-2014 12:30 AM
    Thanks to all who replied and I would like to say currently the phone is being designed in CAD and I'm trying to send the design to be 3-d printed as plastic will be the prototype and metal the finished product. If anyone knows places where I can buy the internals and parts I could have a rough prototype functioning and built within 6-8 months and I will of course update the processor and screen accordingly when a finished product might be available! Thanks for the replies everyone!
    05-25-2014 12:02 PM
    Thanks to all who replied and I would like to say currently the phone is being designed in CAD and I'm trying to send the design to be 3-d printed as plastic will be the prototype and metal the finished product. If anyone knows places where I can buy the internals and parts I could have a rough prototype functioning and built within 6-8 months and I will of course update the processor and screen accordingly when a finished product might be available! Thanks for the replies everyone!
    Not to rain on the parade here but i fear building the actual silicon will prove to be exceedingly difficult. Right now I just see a person with a dream on paper. But then again that's how any progress is often made.

I'd love to be wrong, but I was around webOS Nation after the Apothecalypse and creating our own webOS phone by the community was an idea constantly tossed around and fleshed out. Might want to take a look at those, some legitimate points are brought up there from Chinese manufacturers to Kickstarter to FCC certification (for the US), assuming my memory serves me right.

But don't let me stop you, just be sure you, and if the team gets larger, you all know what its going to take.
    You/we are likely going to need some financial firepower/big guns to get the specs and electronic hardware you outlined.

Hoo boy.
    but welcome aboard!
    05-25-2014 12:51 PM
    microsoft_surface_phone_collage_by_yronimus-d54ueyo.jpg

Microsoft Surface Phone Details by Jonas-Daehnert on deviantART

Remember that, it's very nice. I'd like to have one
    05-25-2014 01:38 PM
    Welcome! I would order an M8 from HTC if it had windows phone on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    05-27-2014 12:29 AM
    Hello becraig94

You could purchase a complete phone, disassemble it, exchange the parts you don't want with compatible parts, and then reassemble it. Another option would be to purchase replacement parts off ebay. These are typically fully assembled modules. Is that the kind of thing you are looking for?

Also, are you aware that metal cases can block RF signals, and that a lot of specific software is used to simulate the affect of metal enclosures on signal quality? Are you aware that switching around LCD controllers, camera modules and even batteries will require changes to firmware? Based on your very short description it sounds like you might not be.

If you plan to start assembling from lower level components than what I mentioned above, and you have an engineering degree of some sort, then PM me and I may be able to help you out further.

Either way, good luck!
    05-27-2014 06:12 AM
    Welcome, and good luck. As others have said, this is quite the challenge that you're putting yourself up to. I wish you well.
    05-27-2014 12:40 PM
    This could be very promising. I wish you all the luck in the world, you never know, this could be the next multi million pound company starting here :)
    05-27-2014 12:44 PM
    Actually I had thought about that and my response to it was the led strip down the sides of the phone. Sorta like the notification light on my HTC Arrive a lot of people like a notification light. Anyway I figure I could probably squeeze the antennas around the strip and yes I have considered the changes to firmware and thought about starting with parts from a Lumia 920 to make the prototype.
    05-28-2014 12:03 AM
    My dreamphone would be a device with a snapdragon 810 quadcore-processor, 2 GB of RAM, 1080p (or even more) 4,5" AMOLED Display with Glance-ability, Micro-SD-Slot and dual-sim. it should have VoLTE, WLAN a/b/g/n/ac and a camera like the 1020
    05-29-2014 03:41 PM
    Hey, I thought I'd chirp in here.

If anyone has any physical design ideas, then feel free to sketch them and upload them. When I've got a good idea of the degisn you are looking for, I can put together a concept phone using 3DS Max, and upload the render examples here.

A previous example of a concept phone I knocked together and rendered in the space of a couple of hours is below:

Obviously this picture isn't part of the contribution but it gives you an idea of what to expect. I need some solid ideas for its external look, so keep 'em coming :)
    a5cent likes this.
    05-29-2014 03:44 PM
    like a phone with a 2k (QHD) screen resolution, 5.1 " screen size , 41 camera and 5 front facing , Qualcomm snapdragon 810 octa-core 2.7 GHz and 64-bit chip , aluminum body and Lumia 930 design ,USB 3.0 water and dust proof and finger print , 3gb ram , 3700mAh battery. 64 GB storage
    05-29-2014 03:54 PM
    If you had one with a hardware keyboard, i would get it.

That's the only feature missing to me.
    05-29-2014 04:05 PM
    Honestly, my dream phone would be the Lumia 635 with 1-2GB of RAM and a front-facing camera. I have a bunch of other Windows devices, so I don't need a super-phone.
    05-29-2014 04:06 PM
    A powerful 4 inched phone
    1080p amoled screen
    Quad core proc
    2gb ram
    2500-3000mAh battery
    A nice pureview cam with OIS
    32-64gb internal memory

A small powerful phone which can be used single-handedly.
    05-29-2014 04:35 PM
    I would like another 41mega pixel, built in qi charging and in a 1520 aluminum body.
    05-29-2014 05:17 PM
    1520's IPS screen, 1020's camera, SD card support, swappable shells that could be made out of both polycarbonate and/or aluminium, on screen buttons, but physical shutter, vol up, down, power.. Audio jack and USB both facing UP, Qi charging..

yeah, THAT would be nice
    05-30-2014 03:47 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	microsoft_surface_phone_collage_by_yronimus-d54ueyo.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	67423

Microsoft Surface Phone Details by Jonas-Daehnert on deviantART

Remember that, it's very nice. I'd like to have one
    That is my dream windows phone with a Lumia quality camera.
    05-30-2014 03:57 AM
    Wow! Awesome posts everyone thank you for the ideas and feedback. To respond to a few: unfortunately the resources to build a 41 megapixel camera are a little hard to get unless you're a wizard at nokia but I'm thinking 16 megapixel OIS sony camera? Give me some thoughts on that. Also I'm hearing a lot of talk on screen size and for now I will be starting at 5 inch because it's good middle ground BUT a 6 inch and 4 inch screen is possible. Finally I saw the oled screen with glance and if I can I will but there's the issue with screen memory :-( anyway thank you every one for you input I'm listening and when the prototype is ready I'll put pictures and then hopefully kick starter
    05-30-2014 10:34 AM
    A powerful 4 inched phone
    1080p amoled screen
    Quad core proc
    2gb ram
    2500-3000mAh battery
    A nice pureview cam with OIS
    32-64gb internal memory

A small powerful phone which can be used single-handedly.
    This. Except a 4.7 inch screen is the perfect size for me. 4 is too small
    05-30-2014 10:44 AM
    How's this been going op?
    06-20-2014 11:29 AM
26 12