Facebook App Design Concept

lordsnow

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I actually have it running on my phone but it doesn't actually pull any real data. It's just using sample data so it displays something. Any running code I have currently is just to make the UI function. If I had permission and full access from fb, I'd be more than willing to bring this concept across the finish line and write a full app.

Could you post the xap, only for seeing this awesome design on my phone? :)

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
If you make this app... The amount of downloads this will get..

As cool as that would be, it's just too much for one dev to do on the side. Now if Facebook commissioned me to develop the app, that'd be a different story.

The best we can hope is that Microsoft/Facebook adopts some or suggestions and/or utilize my design to improve their app. I'm gonna try to contact all relevant parties and try and see if I can get their attention. I'm not holding my breath though.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Could you post the xap, only for seeing this awesome design on my phone? :)

It's written for WinRT so it'll be an appx rather than a xap. That also means WP8.1 is need to run it. I'll try to post it in the morning.

Keep in mind that it's mostly UI and very little code to have it make the UI behave correctly. There's no Facebook communication going on so you'll be seeing the same news feed entry everytime. Also, news feed is the only page that's working.

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm a WP8 developer and I would like to join in to help as much as I can with other developers if they are willing to work as a team to develop this app. API access can be an issue but I guess it can be made possible just like how Instance or 6tag was done. Need advice and support please.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I've updated the original post to include a link to the design concept's project files. Devs out there can deploy it to a WP8.1 device to get a feel for it if they want to.

I'm a WP8 developer and I would like to join in to help as much as I can with other developers if they are willing to work as a team to develop this app. API access can be an issue but I guess it can be made possible just like how Instance or 6tag was done. Need advice and support please.

I'd be more than willing to team up with a few devs to bring our community the proper app experience it deserves. Facebook's public api to get and post content to Facebook seems sufficient to create a full-fledge app but my main concern is the push notification situation. As far as I know, there's no way to implement real-time push notifications from Facebook's service to third party apps. The original Facebook app from Microsoft during the WP7.x days had this problem and relied on Microsoft's servers to periodically check for notifications and thus causing a delay. This is the same situation with 6tag, 6snap, etc.

Now with the current FB app, Microsoft and FB is jointly working on this app so the app have direct access in order to enable proper push notification. I feel that no matter how wonderful this app looks and performs, it'll always be playing catch up in terms of maintaining api use and lack of real-time notifications.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I think scrolling down should also hide the 4 buttons. It takes too much real estate. Only bring it back when the user stops scrolling or scoll in the other direction (kinda like how chrome on iOS 7 does).

Thanks for the feedback. My original plan was to collapse everything except for the system tray at the top (with the network icons and the time) and the page content (the posts) since this is how the iOS fb app works and I presume the android app. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to play nice with the scrolling in the short amount of time I took to create this concept.

At the time, I justified leaving the four buttons persistent for two reasons: First, it provides quick access to the other three views that you're not on. Second, tapping on the news feed button while already on the news feed button scrolls to the top and it replaces the "new stories" pop up found in current apps. Those two scenarios have workarounds if we collapse the buttons (the views are actually in a pivot so swiping left/right will change views without the buttons; show pop up for new stories if buttons are collapsed) so I may try to implement that again and post an updated image/source files if I have some time to work on it some more.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I'll take a look into how much it would be to develop and maintain a Facebook app. What I want to know is that how many of you guys would actually download and use a Facebook app like this without instant push notification (but limited to within 15min of immediacy)?

Alin Iulian

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I'll take a look into how much it would be to develop and maintain a Facebook app. What I want to know is that how many of you guys would actually download and use a Facebook app like this without instant push notification (but limited to within 15min of immediacy)?

<3 develop this app and will you be awesome <3

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site

15 mins??? Hmmmmm :/ Cant it be any less? Is it some kind of an OS restriction or sth?

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
15 mins??? Hmmmmm :/ Cant it be any less? Is it some kind of an OS restriction or sth?

Yes and no. The real restriction is that I can't tap into Facebook's system and fire off a push notification exactly when I need to. So, as a workaround, a third party app has to just periodically CHECK for notifications. And in 8.1, you can do manual checks in the background every 15 min. If I were developing an official app, facebook themselves would just fire a push notification whenever a post/comment/etc happen making it seem isntant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05