We need a wp made just for gaming

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
We all know that the gaming apps on WP isn't exactly amazing compared to IOS or Android, but am i the only one who thinks that if Microsoft/Nokia releases a truly high end performance gaming phone, maybe it would bring in a lot more developers to jump aboard the platform.
It also needs to run a processor that can murder absolutely everything on the market. A phone dedicated JUST for gaming, and nothing else, maybe physical buttons that slide out like the Xperia Play, maybe a big green X lighting on the back cover as well :cool:
There are loads of truly amazing and beautiful xbox phone concepts if you google the images online.
Wish they were real! :crying:

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
We all know that the gaming apps on WP isn't exactly amazing compared to IOS or Android, but am i the only one who thinks that if Microsoft/Nokia releases a truly high end performance gaming phone, maybe it would bring in a lot more developers to jump aboard the platform.
It also needs to run a processor that can murder absolutely everything on the market. A phone dedicated JUST for gaming, and nothing else, maybe physical buttons that slide out like the Xperia Play, maybe a big green X lighting on the back cover as well :cool:
There are loads of truly amazing and beautiful xbox phone concepts if you google the images online.
Wish they were real! :crying:

Isn't this a chicken-and-egg problem?

Such a device would be very expensive. People would only consider buying this phone if amazing games were available. This phone had to truly offer more than any other high-end phone, or else there would be no sense in buying it.
On the other hand, developers would only invest resources on providing special software for this phone, if it were successful and they would expect to get money out of it.

Even if Microsoft would develop your dream phone and provide some great exclusives, it would mean nothing long-term. And the gaming market is a very difficult one, look at how Nintendo is struggling. Also I don't think many people buy these Android gaming devices.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I really do not know how successful such a device would be. Sony's Xperia Play, which was called the "Playstation Phone", wasn't exactly a big success.

mrcraggle

May 31, 2012
Visit site
This sounds like a super niche product to me and I doubt MS want a repeat of the Surface sales. There's very little appeal to many people already with WP and the Xbox branding isn't going to help things which itself is somewhat tarnished after all the drama with the XB1. Gaming on phones is pretty much limited to crap games such as Candy Crush and Flappy Bird. There are some great games for mobile don't get me wrong but those aren't the ones that millions of people are playing and a bulky, heavy and probably ugly phone with a limited game selection aren't going to drive people to pick up a gaming focused WP.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Hate to say it, but damn you guys are right lol, i guess this is too ambitious, oh and i do acknowledge the poor sales of the xperia play, i thought if they released a phone like that, they could create a lot of hype and maybe get people into wp.
You know like how the 1020 is the best camera phone, and then maybe a "best gaming phone" just my thoughts and speaking of tablet...mmm, a gaming tablet, wouldnt mind that too!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
am i the only one who thinks that if Microsoft/Nokia releases a truly high end performance gaming phone, maybe it would bring in a lot more developers to jump aboard the platform.

I agree with everyone else so far. A super high-end device focused solely on gaming would be a gigantic flop on WP. Even the highest end WP gaming device is completely useless if nobody builds software for it. That is pretty much the situation we'd get. It's already the situation we have now, thanks to MS' artificial 512MB / 1GB market segmentation strategy. Nobody specifically targeting WP will ever build an app specifically for 1GB devices. It's an irrelevant niche of what is already a niche OS. Ported games are the only apps that ever require anything more than a 512 MB device, and they do so only because restructuring the game to run on 512MB devices is expected to cost more than what they expect to earn. Those games don't do ANYTHING that would really require 1GB of RAM. They just weren't initially designed to respect WP's memory management rules, and requiring a 1GB device is cheaper than making the game conform.

However, in general, I don't think placing more emphasis on gaming is a bad idea. I think MS should have done so long ago. I think you are just approaching the subject from the wrong angle.

Instead of making a gaming focused high-end device that is even further removed from the mainstream, I think MS should do the opposite. Find a way to make gaming work better on low end WP devices. Better than on any other platform.

I'd suggest partnering with Qualcomm to design a cheap SoC with a lower-end dual core CPU, but which includes a high end GPU. The idea is to break away from the traditional formula of:

low-end phone = low-end CPU + low-end GPU.

Instead, for WP, it would be:

low-end phone = low end CPU + high-end GPU.

I'd pair that with a 800x480 display and 1GB of RAM, simultaneously declaring 1GB of RAM (better yet 2GB) the lower limit for any and all WP devices (current prices for 3GB of RAM for smartphone OEMs is below $10) This combination of hardware is what I'd define as the new hardware chassis spec for low-end WP devices. The point is to move the lower-end closer to the high-end in terms of graphics performance, as graphics performance is the only limiting factor in smartphone games today.

I think that could have an affect on the WP market. If MS also took the opportunity to build a few games that showcase gaming performance on such devices and launched them together with a new series of 520 / 620 / 720 entry level devices (similar to how gaming consoles are launched with launch titles), I think that could be successful.

edit:
This would also have the affect of raising the graphics capabilities of the ecosystem as a whole, thereby improving the quality of games we can expect for the high end as well.

Last edited:

Everard Onggon

May 16, 2014
Visit site
A phone dedicated JUST for gaming, and nothing else, maybe physical buttons that slide out like the Xperia Play, maybe a big green X lighting on the back cover as well :cool:

A phone only for gaming is not a phone. A phone should be capable of sending and receiving SMS, and can call other phone within a reachable network.
I think what you need is an XBOX. :smile:

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Instead of making a gaming focused high-end device that is even further removed from the mainstream, I think MS should do the opposite. Find a way to make gaming work better on low end WP devices. Better than on any other platform.

I'd suggest partnering with Qualcomm to design a cheap SoC with a lower-end dual core CPU, but which includes a high end GPU. The idea is to break away from the traditional formula of:

low-end phone = low-end CPU + low-end GPU.

Instead, for WP, it would be:

low-end phone = low end CPU + high-end GPU.

I'd pair that with a 800x480 display and 1GB of RAM, simultaneously declaring 1GB of RAM the lower limit for any and all WP devices

Yes, I'd agree with this strategy. Also, any phones following this idea shouldn't have built in gaming buttons, they need to be sold as smartphones first and gaming platforms second. I think the reason the Xperia Play was a flop was because it was just too bulky to use just as a smartphone. Just like some Lumias have snap on Qi charging shells, a game focused Windows Phone could have a snap on gaming buttons shell (maybe even make that shell a standard form factor, and then all WP partners could make phones that would fit into the Xbox Controller shell for Windows Phone).

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
A phone only for gaming is not a phone.

You might want to read the thread again. Not once has anybody suggested a phone only for gaming. :wink:

Just like some Lumias have snap on Qi charging shells, a game focused Windows Phone could have a snap on gaming buttons shell

Nifty idea. You'd just also have to find a way to make it widespread enough that developers decide supporting it is worth their development dollars. It's another example of the chicken/egg problem as hardware/software often has. It's the same problem the Kinect had last generation, and likely will have again, now that MS was forced to remove it from the package due to price pressure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes