Lumia 920 or WP8.1 mid-range

RedbeardPL

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone

I'm about to change my lumia 710 in the near future (no later than August 2014). Unfortunately, lumia 930, which will be released June/July here in Poland, will be too expensive with my contract and 630 doesn't convince me with its specs. With this in mind, I'm considering lumia 920 or some mid-range WP8.1 device (any OEM) if there's any coming soon. Are there any rumours about 720 or 820 successors? Would you suggest going right now with 920 or waiting till August to see what's to come?

Thanks for any advices

PS I've also considered 1320, but I'm concerned about its size. I'm only 175cm tall (5' 9") and I'm afraid it would be trouble to fit it in my pockets. Anyone about my height could share one's experience?

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No word on any future models just yet. The 930 and 630 are the only ones on the horizon.

there are rumors, but nothing yet. Nothing from other OEMs too.

I would recommend a 920 as its still a very respectable phone, especially if the price is right.

RedbeardPL

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, xandros, you sound reasonable. What do you think about phablets like 1320? And, which of these two (920 and 1320) you find more future proof?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, xandros, you sound reasonable. What do you think about phablets like 1320? And, which of these two (920 and 1320) you find more future proof?

Yay, I sound reasonable!

Anyways, personally I'm not one for phablets, I find them a bit too big for my taste. the size of the 920 (4.5")/Galaxy S4 (5")/930 (5") is about as large as I'm willing to try as of now. One handed use is a bit of a issue too.

I've peeked at the specs of the 1320 and I'll say they're on somewhat equal footing. The silicon under the hood of the 1320 runs a bit faster and the battery is much larger, although I don't know how much of that increase is balanced by the screen size.
It has a baseline 8 GB of memory which isn't much, although an SD slot allows extra SD cards, and for those to be upgraded.
(No idea how the graphic abilities of the phones stack up)

the 920 has a superior camera and 32 GB of storage, but cannot be expanded.

Other than the hardware differences, the biggest or potentially only impact on future-proofness looks to be the amount of RAM onboard, as indicated by the 512MB/ 1GB+ split in WP-land. They have the same amount and will probably hold up equally well (or bad, depending on your point-of-view, no sign of MS ditching any current devices just yet though. Another WP7-fiasco could potentially be catastrophic.)

gm08

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend you to go for the 920. It would be great for your case, because it has a normal size and you can find it with a very good price now. Also, it was a flagship...once 😊

RedbeardPL

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Wow, that was a comprehensive comparison!

From what I've found around the web, 1320's battery does quite well compared to 920, but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

That leads me to the conclusion, that the only aspect I would take into consideration is if I would be able to tame the monstrous 1320

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99