Android/iOS users, what's keeping you from switching to Windows Phone?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone has offline navigation, doesn't it?

If all I wanted to do was let the device choose the path, that would work. There is so much more to do with choosing fun routes, geocaching, GPS averaging, tracking, live tracking, waypoints, etc that Here is lacking.

For instance, all the features (and a while lot more) of a $700 garmin, in one software application, That is free.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
If all I wanted to do was let the device choose the path, that would work. There is so much more to do with choosing fun routes, geocaching, GPS averaging, tracking, live tracking, waypoints, etc that Here is lacking.

For instance, all the features (and a while lot more) of a $700 garmin, in one software application, That is free.

Isn't there a geocaching app that can do that? I'm not familiar with it at all, but just had a quick look at the Store, and there's one that apparently uses "Nokia Maps", aka. HERE, and doesn't even require GPS.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There may be many reasons for that. Poor developer support is the main one - what's the point of an awesome OS if all the apps are crap?

These days even Microsoft is taking its sweet time to actually update its apps.

OneNote, for example, got big updates on iOS and Android, but WP is still running the old version, barely changed since WP7. It is said that we will get an update with Office Gemini, but when is that going to come???

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Tiles (the idea was neat 4 years ago, now it's old

Genuinely curious what you would like to see instead of Live Tiles. You're not the first to point out that you'd prefer something else, but I'm never sure what it is people are looking for. Is it just static buttons?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
These days even Microsoft is taking its sweet time to actually update its apps.

That's something I simply can't understand, why doesn't Microsoft put Windows Phone in the front of the line with their own apps? Why are they giving iOS and Android preferential treatment? I guess they want to reach the most users, but it really makes it look as though they don't care about Windows Phone.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Co Pilot

It is the better than anything I have used that comes with the phone.

Your wishes are unrealistic for a free package.

However you pay 1 time for Copilot and it goes with you regardless what platforms your on.

This is as close as you can get to a Garmin for a lot less $$$$$

Just remember to write your activation code down and keep it

Mac

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
That's something I simply can't understand, why doesn't Microsoft put Windows Phone in the front of the line with their own apps? Why are they giving iOS and Android preferential treatment? I guess they want to reach the most users, but it really makes it look as though they don't care about Windows Phone.

That is a darn good question,I've been wondering that myself of late. How much are they changing for these updated apps on the other platforms?

I could understand it easier if they were making a ton of money,but if they aren't,then you are spot on in your assessment of how it looks

Mac

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Isn't there a geocaching app that can do that? I'm not familiar with it at all, but just had a quick look at the Store, and there's one that apparently uses "Nokia Maps", aka. HERE, and doesn't even require GPS.

Hmm, how would an offline navigation application work without GPS ?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Genuinely curious what you would like to see instead of Live Tiles. You're not the first to point out that you'd prefer something else, but I'm never sure what it is people are looking for. Is it just static buttons?

Genuine response, yes, I would like just a static "wallpaper", and swipe left for some app, or right for the full app list. Android widgets, iPhone icons, and windows live tiles just aren't my thing. So much nicer to only see the pretty picture I took yesterday instead of someone else's idea of what I should be content with. :thumbup:

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Genuine response, yes, I would like just a static "wallpaper", and swipe left for some app, or right for the full app list. Android widgets, iPhone icons, and windows live tiles just aren't my thing. So much nicer to only see the pretty picture I took yesterday instead of someone else's idea of what I should be content with. :thumbup:

Hm, I think there's an app you can use to fill your screen with blank, transparent tiles, leaving just your background photo in view. But I suppose you'd still dislike that there are tiles at all, and I guess this really doesn't fit in with the Windows Phone ethos. Perhaps you and WP are just incompatible!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Co Pilot

It is the better than anything I have used that comes with the phone.

Your wishes are unrealistic for a free package.

However you pay 1 time for Copilot and it goes with you regardless what platforms your on.

This is as close as you can get to a Garmin for a lot less $$$$$

Just remember to write your activation code down and keep it

Mac

I've tried copilot a few times. It's very resource heavy, clunky interface, and expensive for the limited amount of functions it has.

The free ( free, yes, but I donate our purchase "pro" to support great developers) apps I've found are exponentially more usable, have cleaner ui, and much more functionality.

Your point about activation is a very good one, and another issue I forgot to list originally. It's not an issue with applications on my current os, since I back them all up to sdcard.

Jarip

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
A toast notification should be possible to disable (just to avoid that somebody can read that message when cp is, for example, on a table) - that's possible only in android (as a user choice) ... my friend is an android user for that reason :)

Bosgarage57

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Honestly only thing making me going from my Note2 to a recently picked up 822, or even using one of my upgrades to get a new Nokia or Ativ SE is the lack of FoxFi, or any tether app. Im still unlimited data and I use quiet a bit of it. I can handle having to keep wpTorrent open to download something, although the ability to add it to one of the background running apps would be great. Honestly, Foxfi, or some type of tethering app and I'd be switching. I like the customization of Android, I have no problem with Google, Im just ready for something else though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05