Messenger app

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
But it run in background

Before the latest update you mean? I haven't checked before personally, but right now it definitely doesn't have the setting to enable or disable the background agent. Which means it definitely doesn't have any background agent that would periodically perform whatosever tasks. If it had before, they apparently removed it. Since the app doesn't provide any lockscreen image or live tile image (not the counter!) updating, having a background agent wouldn't make sense there anyways.

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Actually the background agent setting was there to allow messenger to continue to give notifications while battery saver was on. Although when the app was opened a message was displayed saying that notifications would not be shown under battery saver, they actually were shown if messenger was allowed in the settings.

luke_parker_88

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

is anyone having trouble with notifications on the Messenger Live Tile not showing up? I certainly am! I've turned off Message notifications in the actual Facebook App to see if this makes any difference and see if wires are being crossed. I'm not sure it will have any effect though.

Anyone else having this issue?

anon(8750879)

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
There are two things about the new messenger (5.x version) is that there are no background settings plus bad notifications. It shows only the first notification in a conversation. To get a reply from the other person you will have to open messenger to see it.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There are two things about the new messenger (5.x version) is that there are no background settings plus bad notifications. It shows only the first notification in a conversation. To get a reply from the other person you will have to open messenger to see it.

I'd really like to know why so many of you guys keep insisting on the importance of background settings. These are meant for apps that use background agents. FB messenger on the other hand does not. It receives real time push notifications, for which no background agent is required.

anon(8750879)

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I'd really like to know why so many of you guys keep insisting on the importance of background settings. These are meant for apps that use background agents. FB messenger on the other hand does not. It receives real time push notifications, for which no background agent is required.

Oh! Did not know that.... There are no correct notifications though :-/ well, maybe it will be fixed in the upcoming updates or its just an 8.1 thing

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

Like I said before, the background setting actually allowed you to receive push notifications even when battery saver mode was on. If you didn't allow it to run in the background while battery saver was on, it wouldn't notify you.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Like I said before, the background setting actually allowed you to receive push notifications even when battery saver mode was on. If you didn't allow it to run in the background while battery saver was on, it wouldn't notify you.

Must've missed that, sorry. That's something different than the toggle though. And I'm not even sure if the battery saver has any influence on push notifications, tbh.

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Must've missed that, sorry. That's something different than the toggle though. And I'm not even sure if the battery saver has any influence on push notifications, tbh.

I don't think it does. I think it just prevents the app from being able to actually receive them until the next time the app is opened.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it does. I think it just prevents the app from being able to actually receive them until the next time the app is opened.

Doesn't make sense. I just checked, and every app that has the checkbox to override the battery saver I'd using a background agent, which does not apply to those that rely on push notifications. And the way these work, the battery saver couldn't even do anything about it to actually save energy. Apps that make use of push notifications register your device for a service, which pushes it a notification whenever a certain event it's triggered. The only way to not receive those is by shutting down your device or disable your network connection, e.g. enable airplane mode. This simply cannot work on a per app basis. Sure, the OS could say "hey, battery saver is active, so I'll hold back toast and tile notification for xyz apps", but this would actually don't preserve any energy, as 1) the notification has been received already anyways and 2) the logic to execute the above would certainly not consume less energy than displaying the toast and updating the tile.

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
7y8ebuty.png
Doesn't make sense. I just checked, and every app that has the checkbox to override the battery saver I'd using a background agent, which does not apply to those that rely on push notifications. And the way these work, the battery saver couldn't even do anything about it to actually save energy. Apps that make use of push notifications register your device for a service, which pushes it a notification whenever a certain event it's triggered. The only way to not receive those is by shutting down your device or disable your network connection, e.g. enable airplane mode. This simply cannot work on a per app basis. Sure, the OS could say "hey, battery saver is active, so I'll hold back toast and tile notification for xyz apps", but this would actually don't preserve any energy, as 1) the notification has been received already anyways and 2) the logic to execute the above would certainly not consume less energy than displaying the toast and updating the tile.

Whatever the method used to prevent notifications in battery saver mode may be, my point is that when messenger (WhatsApp and telegram too) is allowed to run its background agent under battery saver, it does notify you, whereas if this setting is not toggled it will not notify you until the app is opened. It will, however, show the message in the attached image regardless of the setting.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/17/7y8ebuty.png

Whatever the method used to prevent notifications in battery saver mode may be, my point is that when messenger (WhatsApp and telegram too) is allowed to run its background agent under battery saver, it does notify you, whereas if this setting is not toggled it will not notify you until the app is opened. It will, however, show the message in the attached image regardless of the setting.

I know that Whatsapp used the background agent as sort of a friendly hack. Not sure though what they were trying to achieve with it. I've always kept it disabled. Same goes for Facebook and Twitter. And I've never missed a single notification. The usual hiccups on their end aside of course.

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I managed to get my notifications working again. I tried all sorts of things with no success until this last method. Here's the final method I did to fix it:

Logged into Facebook on my laptop and went to settings -> security -> "where you're logged in". I ended all of the sessions. Next I uninstalled Facebook then Messenger from my phone. Then, I held the power button to turn off the phone, turned it back on, then soft reset (power and volume down button for ~10 seconds).

When the phone booted back up I re-installed Facebook, then Messenger. I logged into Facebook, then logged into Messenger.

I turned the phone off once more, then back on, and I started receiving notifications for both apps. Shortly afterwards Messenger notifications stopped but the Facebook app was still receiving notifications for messages.

*** I did NOT use the Facebook app for messaging from the time that I re-installed it, as I suspect that the messaging in the Facebook app crosses wires somehow with Messenger, which I will get back to later. ***

I used only the messenger app and after about 20 minutes of not receiving notifications, it started notifying me for all messages without delay.

It's been working perfectly ever since.

I tried using the Facebook app for messaging to see if that would break Messenger again and, as I suspected, it did. I redid the method above to fix it and it worked perfectly again.

Let me know if you guys try this and get it working!

(and before anyone asks, yes I tried simply reinstalling and soft resetting alone, as well as a bunch of other methods; none of which gave me these results)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb