Windows phone really growing ? Discrimination by Microsoft

lamblumo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi I own Lumia 520. I was really happy with overall OS , lag free ,free offline navigation. But as I'm a student and play games, use tons of apps and from here I started to hate it -:
Temple run 2 came veryy late when my ios & android friends done playing with it for them history no more score competition.
Subway surfer on 512 Mb device still on waiting list
Most games come late or does not support 512 Mb devices.
Instagram still beta. 6tag have delay notification or no notifications issues
Facebook app skips friends feeds too slow.
Twitter too skips some tweets , slow.
WhatsApp just got improved after months on other platforms.
Hike messenger slow
Notification center have just 4 controls , lacks data control, music controls its lacking, does not show download progress, no brightness slider,
Games like Gt racing, Real racing 3 are absent even if they come I bet they will only be for 1 Gb ram.
When upload photos to facebook or instagram the quality reduces.
Resuming, resuming.... Even on wp 8.1 though I'm ignoring this till cyan comes out.
No wifi direct
And the latest the upcoming lock screen theming app will be first for 1 Gb ram devices than later date will come for 512 Mb no one knows when maybe after 5 months !!
currently I own 520 upgrade to 525 ? Just cz of ram I spend ₹4,000 more (after exchange) everything same.
Than comes 1320 ₹17,000 no way I cant spend that much.
Lumia 630 again same story plus it lacks ambient light sensor, proximity sensor!! Overpriced.
And ya discrimination on basic of basic only USA gets full features. In India no Bing rewards ,no Cortana,no Bing search advance features like in USA , speech recognition as limited to call and text commands.
What's going on. !! Microsoft !!

lamblumo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah right contact developers... but reason why they develop for 1 gb ram... there is a serious fault of Microsoft the environment they provide, restrictions make them to do so.. or developers don't love to write apps for windows phone at all...
leave apps what about discrimination , low quality fb app made by Microsoft, Skype, and very basic notification centre, Bing regional restriction, even lock screen app gonna be first for 1 gb ram devices... I find no fault of developers... if they get good environment they will develop.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah right contact developers... but reason why they develop for 1 gb ram... there is a serious fault of Microsoft the environment they provide, restrictions make them to do so.. or developers don't love to write apps for windows phone at all...
leave apps what about discrimination , low quality fb app made by Microsoft, Skype, and very basic notification centre, Bing regional restriction, even lock screen app gonna be first for 1 gb ram devices... I find no fault of developers... if they get good environment they will develop.

WP has comparatively a very low number of users, so most developers don't want to invest their time and resources to port, develop and continue supporting it with updates and optimizations. Instead of blaming MSFT for everything, try helping the community in these forums.

lamblumo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
WP has comparatively a very low number of users, so most developers don't want to invest their time and resources to port, develop and continue supporting it with updates and optimizations. Instead of blaming MSFT for everything, try helping the community in these forums.

I have to blame to MSFT we have paid for quality services, as they promised... yes I do help people here... but I gotta speak it ... hieghts.. waiting waiting coming soon, ... regional discrimination bla bla

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
ok so who's to blame?

OHardy

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Constructive criticism is all good & well for the development of the OS. However, the way some people go about it, would discourage both Devs & new users to come on board.

WP8.1 DP Update 2 is a great OS & I'm looking toward it evolving, as the number one phone OS.

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I blame the sales representatives and marketing for Windows phone 8, or the lack thereof. I haven't heard one commercial about a Windows phone 8, or a Nokia phone. I got my Lumia Icon through watching WPCentral.

As for apps and games, I can't really blame anyone there. Microsoft is actually doing something to bring in the apps and games. If there isn't a point to develop a game, then they won't.

It is frustrating but you do have to chip into improving the environment of an OS. iOS and Android started from nothing, too.

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
He got the phone but wasn't happy about the app and games situation.

I don't blame him. If I, the user, has to do a "reach around" for developers, then what's the point if someone already did that on other devices?

lamblumo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Android and iOS started from nothing too agree but that time java devices were large in numbers and at there time it was superb at launch. IOS was for high end peoples I mean iPhone costly and android made it possible for masses to experience smartphone. Windows mobile used to there when they launched WP 7 they should have that time only introduced full featured os like files managers , notification center, etc etc cz they had idea how smartphone look like. Atleast feature wise.
There was too much hype for WP 8.1 they took so long. WP 8.1 no doubt awesome. But awesome over WP 8 not like other OS. It do lacks features now also. No doubt they will fix that. Bring features but till that time other os will move more ahead.

lamblumo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Apps and games can easily come , ask developers they will tell you why they don't wanna come. All mostly say cz of RESTRICTIONS.. followed by low number users. There are low users cz they find WP as lack of quality apps environment so this goes on cyclic. I cant say but maybe WP 8.1 fix. All I learned after 11 months experience is SELF CONTROL , PATIENCE ... And COMING SOON a More Than Months. I wonder how 720 users feel who bought ₹18000 Device and end up getting nothing. Yaa hardware awesome. But at end of day software really matters apps and all.

lamblumo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Now how they can fix. Well they should see what type of tools developers use mostly for making apps. And they should try to make those tools work with windows phone. A friendly environment where developers find easy and fun to write apps.
All top developers should be contacted and pursuid. Though they already doing but it ain't effective.
Stick to one type of extension don't change extension with every release. Xap now Appx ..... Look android apk from years.
Features wise live tiles should be more live,
Notification center should have more options toggles impotantly data toggle
Wifi Direct,
When recieving multiple files via Bluetooth we have press accept for each file this should be fix
We have great device processor nd graphic chip wise ram can b compensated like on 630 so Microsoft should try that app developers first test on 512 MB device. I wonder y temple run 2 and ss tooked so long.
Microsoft Office mobile should b more functional
When uploading pics and videos to facebook quality degrades should be fix. Happens with instagram too.
And many more.

lamblumo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
You guys may be wondering y I purchased and y I still with it. Thing is when I purchased I jump from java so no info about smartphones addiction and not selling cz money don't grow on trees.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
IMO, consumers are resisting to change to Windows Phone because tiles is something which are alien to them. Look at how people reacted when Windows 8 was released with the totally revamped Start screen. People resist to change and they are so comfortable with icons and widgets. TBH, even till date, as being a Windows Phone user form Android, tiles are not actually making things easier. Why? Because a tile needs to be in its medium size in order to be informative. And with the current WP8, 720p screens simply can't display so many tiles at the same time. Users will need to scroll up and down in order to see what's new and to make things worst, toasts notifications come and go in a short while. Lock screen has the 5 notifications icons restrictions. That said, I'm really glad that MS is adding the action center for WP8.1.

But things are still not good enough. Sharing is very easy to achieve on Android. For example, I can simply share an URL from the browser straight to Pocket (Read it Later) but I will need to do that copy & paste thing on Windows Phone for the 3rd party Pocket app. Even iOS 8 now support native sharing. I know all these require time for developers to update their apps in order to tap onto the new APIs, etc. But with their low attention for Windows Phone, it is not going well for the end users.

In short, I hope things will be looking better for WP8.1 because I really love to see this new OS keep on growing. In fact, it has already grown alot since WP7. Finger crossed.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Android and iOS started from nothing too agree but that time java devices were large in numbers and at there time it was superb at launch. IOS was for high end peoples I mean iPhone costly and android made it possible for masses to experience smartphone. Windows mobile used to there when they launched WP 7 they should have that time only introduced full featured os like files managers , notification center, etc etc cz they had idea how smartphone look like. Atleast feature wise.
There was too much hype for WP 8.1 they took so long. WP 8.1 no doubt awesome. But awesome over WP 8 not like other OS. It do lacks features now also. No doubt they will fix that. Bring features but till that time other os will move more ahead.

To be fair, you are comparing WP to the already so matured OSes like Android or iOS. WP8 was merely 2 years old as it was redeveloped from ground up again after WP7 fails. But within these 2 years, we are now seeing action center, transparency tiles, VPN, etc etc. Just 2 years, we are already having a voice assistance Cortana. But it took Apple to add Siri to iOS only at its 5th iteration. And Google Now was introduced only with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Do you not see how fast Windows Phone 8 actually evolved within these 2 years? And what triggered the low to mid end budgeted phone wars? It is Windows Phone too because of its capability to run under low cost devices and still performing very well.

Android is very open. However, it also brings along flaws, performance issues, fragmentation due to so many different OEMs, etc etc. Windows Phone strike somewhere in between. When WP8.1 is out, I bet all WP8 devices will be able to get updated. And this is why iPhone is still so popular as consumers get the updates promptly without the need to beg OEMs to release updates for their older models - especially with big OEMs like Samsung which releases tons of different Android devices each year.

Time is an important factor for an OS to grow. And from what I see, Android has reached its peak. Same goes for iOS. But what's lucky for iOS is that Apple also sells desktop OS, hence they can boost about Continuity with their latest iOS8. On the other hand, Google Chrome never pick up good traction at all. So, Android is just at its peak. Given that MS is also a desktop OS maker and along with its gaming businesses, I'm seeing potential with Windows Phones. More features will come for sure, but you just need to be patient. Rome don't get to build in a day. Just my 2 cents. :)

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
To the op: have you considered switching to another platform? WP is not for everyone. If getting the latest and greatest apps and games as soon as possible is a priority, then WP is definitely not for you. Harsh words maybe, but it's the truth. You should start making plans (saving money, whatever) to migrate to an iPhone or Android phone now.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
To the op: have you considered switching to another platform? WP is not for everyone. If getting the latest and greatest apps and games as soon as possible is a priority, then WP is definitely not for you. Harsh words maybe, but it's the truth. You should start making plans (saving money, whatever) to migrate to an iPhone or Android phone now.
It's not just the latest and the greatest apps, it's the ones that have been on other platforms for a while! And when we do get them.....its either a web wrap,in beta,or they join .....lose support and vanish!WP seems to be the metro pcs of os .......always getting watered down products.we like WP but I'm sure were the only ones( next to bb) who lose app and dev support !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb