09-16-2014 01:32 PM
61 123
tools
    even 2gb ram is overkill for most phones at the moment, 4+ its just plain useless, I don't see it sticking anytime soon, battery life doesn't help either, I cant think of an app that actually needs more than 4gb of ram to run, even on desktops that's hard to see
    is reallllllllly nice to have big hunks of ram for mapping applications.

the entire USA is about 2gb in a vector file ;-)
    07-01-2014 05:45 PM
    In the case of Android and iOS they will have to go completely 64bit (both hardware and all software) before19th January 2038, due to the way Unix based OS's handle dates on a 32bit system.

At 03:14:08 UTC on 19 January 2038, 32-bit versions of the Unix time stamp will cease to work, as it will overflow the largest value that can be held in a signed 32-bit number (7FFFFFFF^16 or 2,147,483,647). Before this moment, software using 32-bit time stamps will need to adopt a new convention for time stamps,[19] and file formats using 32-bit time stamps will need to be changed to support larger time stamps or a different epoch.
    The next second after that will be 00:00:00 1st January 1970.

See here: Year 2038 problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'm pretty sure Moores law will be over before then anyway. 32 bit will probably be gone by 2020.
    07-02-2014 01:30 PM
    FYI the Apple A7 in the iPhone 5S beats every other phone chip on the market so no, the Snapdragon 801 doesn't beat the A7.
    iPhone A7 Chip Benchmarks: Forget the Specs, It Blows Everything Away
    that link shows why. A7 just owns everything else right now. in fact if apple sells A7 chips to 3rd parties they'll make another fortune.
    and who plays 4k videos on a 720p phone. or even 1080p phone. you want a 60" TV for that.

Extremely sorry for replying to this so late but that article is outdated and it compares Apple A7 to Snapdragon 600.

Go to Geekbench's site to see the latest scores and almost all variants of Snapdragon 800 beat Apple A7.

Despite having a 720 or 1080p screen there are benefits of 4K video, such as a higher bitrate. Plus you can not only record but also edit 4K videos and record the screen in 4k(I believe).
    07-06-2014 09:10 AM
    There is one company thst has brought to the mobile market of dual core cpu's that can actually run 64bit code right from the get go, but people keep poopooing them even tough they are the leader in the desktop market when it comes to cpu's. Oh and I'm not talking arm code either, X86 and 64bit and those cpu's have trounced everything they were brought out against. Name of that company is Intel.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    07-06-2014 09:29 AM
    There is one company thst has brought to the mobile market of dual core cpu's that can actually run 64bit code right from the get go, but people keep poopooing them even tough they are the leader in the desktop market when it comes to cpu's. Oh and I'm not talking arm code either, X86 and 64bit and those cpu's have trounced everything they were brought out against. Name of that company is Intel.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Intel had planned to release a 64 bit chip for Android named 'Baytrail' but I don't think it was ever released after that.

An underdog in the industry would be Nvidia. They came out with really amazing 64 bit processor and 192 core GPU this year, but no one is paying attention to them.
    07-06-2014 11:08 AM
    Intel had planned to release a 64 bit chip for Android named 'Baytrail' but I don't think it was ever released after that.

An underdog in the industry would be Nvidia. They came out with really amazing 64 bit processor and 192 core GPU this year, but no one is paying attention to them.
    There are many bay trail products available on the market:

AnandTech | Bay Trail
    07-06-2014 08:23 PM

nvidia is critisized due to poor drivers and optimisation etc,snapdragon is king in terms of gpu-cpu-performance-battery life
    tegra is great but it lacks a few things here and there
    mediatek is even worse,my 720s snapdragon beats my lenovo quad core mediatek tab
    07-08-2014 06:03 AM
    nvidia is critisized due to poor drivers and optimisation etc,snapdragon is king in terms of gpu-cpu-performance-battery life

tegra is great but it lacks a few things here and there

mediatek is even worse,my 720s snapdragon beats my lenovo quad core mediatek tab

Most of this is untrue. Nvidia since last year has stepped up it's game and Nvidia Shield beat Snapdragon 800.

This chip NVIDIA unveiled this year has seriously enabled console quality graphics on mobile phones, they claim the GPU is stronger than the ones on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Sadly no one is using Nvidia's chipsets yet. However in the recent Google I/O they did show the graphics potential of the Nvidia chip.

However you are right about one thing, Nvidia doesn't release a lot of their drivers which makes it a pain for Android developers to come up with Custom ROMs for the phone, however on Windows Phone I don't see why we don't use Nvidia 64bit chips, they are so amazing!

Snapdragon is definitely the top in the market right now but it's a confused company, they claim 64 bit and 8 core chips have no real benefit, and many of their future chips are 8 Core 64 bit chips!

Snapdragon makes the best CPUs however Nvidia is still miles ahead in GPUs.
    07-08-2014 02:18 PM
    Most of this is untrue. Nvidia since last year has stepped up it's game and Nvidia Shield beat Snapdragon 800.

This chip NVIDIA unveiled this year has seriously enabled console quality graphics on mobile phones, they claim the GPU is stronger than the ones on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Sadly no one is using Nvidia's chipsets yet. However in the recent Google I/O they did show the graphics potential of the Nvidia chip.

However you are right about one thing, Nvidia doesn't release a lot of their drivers which makes it a pain for Android developers to come up with Custom ROMs for the phone, however on Windows Phone I don't see why we don't use Nvidia 64bit chips, they are so amazing!

Snapdragon is definitely the top in the market right now but it's a confused company, they claim 64 bit and 8 core chips have no real benefit, and many of their future chips are 8 Core 64 bit chips!

Snapdragon makes the best CPUs however Nvidia is still miles ahead in GPUs.
    the thing is in the mobile world,snapdragon is still king,doesnt matter which has a better gpu because even if you have a pentium 4 with a 7770 gddr5 and 8gb of ram itll be bottlenecked,but if you have a stock i3 with 2gb of ram and no gpu,itll still be powerful by miles
    nvidia may show powerful stuff on paper but snapdragon is still better
    a good example is the amd 8 core desktop cpu and an i3,despite being the same price and the amd looking more powerfull,there are still a load of things the i3 will outperform the amd at except when more cores and lesser clock speed is needed(a rarity)
    none of what i said is untrue,real world performance etc does matter more than on paper
    apple said the same thing when the ipad 3 was released stating that its gpu and cpu were much more powerful than the ps3 and xbox360,we never saw people buying an ipad 3 for gaming instead of a console now did we
    its like saying a truck has a larger engine than a ferrari therefore its faster or something
    07-09-2014 05:35 AM
    Snapdragon is definitely the top in the market right now but it's a confused company, they claim 64 bit and 8 core chips have no real benefit, and many of their future chips are 8 Core 64 bit chips!.
    It's not Qualcomm's job to make the best SoC. It's their job to make the best selling SoC.

Many consumers are influenced by core count and 64bit over 32bit, despite being clueless about it. If enough consumers want that, Qualcomm must deliver.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    07-09-2014 06:07 AM
    the thing is in the mobile world,snapdragon is still king,doesnt matter which has a better gpu because even if you have a pentium 4 with a 7770 gddr5 and 8gb of ram itll be bottlenecked,but if you have a stock i3 with 2gb of ram and no gpu,itll still be powerful by miles

nvidia may show powerful stuff on paper but snapdragon is still better

a good example is the amd 8 core desktop cpu and an i3,despite being the same price and the amd looking more powerfull,there are still a load of things the i3 will outperform the amd at except when more cores and lesser clock speed is needed(a rarity)

none of what i said is untrue,real world performance etc does matter more than on paper

apple said the same thing when the ipad 3 was released stating that its gpu and cpu were much more powerful than the ps3 and xbox360,we never saw people buying an ipad 3 for gaming instead of a console now did we

its like saying a truck has a larger engine than a ferrari therefore its faster or something

Apple never said iPad 3 had better graphics than PS3, Nvidia actually demoed how good their new Tegra K1 chip was!
    07-09-2014 06:37 AM
    It's not Qualcomm's job to make the best SoC. It's their job to make the best selling SoC.

Many consumers are influenced by core count and 64bit over 32bit, despite being clueless about it. If enough consumers want that, Qualcomm must deliver.
    totally agreed,like the way samsung marketed the S4 as an "octacore" phone
    07-09-2014 06:40 AM

I'm not saying Snapdragon makes bad chips, but it is the job of every SOC manufacturer to make the best SOCs.

Your right about the second part however, people do care more about core count than actual performance, I wish they were more educated. :/

But I seriously feel bad for Nvidia the last time a mainstream device used their chip was in 2012 when the HTC One X and Nexus 7 used the Tegra 3.

But there is hope, Google also showed the power of the new Tegra K1 chip at I/O so maybe next Nexus comes out with Tegra K1.
    a5cent and Karthik Naik like this.
    07-09-2014 06:40 AM
    Apple never said iPad 3 had better graphics than PS3, Nvidia actually demoed how good their new Tegra K1 chip was!
    well your mistaken,see every single link-
    https://www.google.co.in/webhp?sourc...r%20than%20ps3
    tim cook himself said so even though it wasnt true in the end
    07-09-2014 06:41 AM
    I'm not saying Snapdragon makes bad chips, but it is the job of every SOC manufacturer to make the best SOCs.
    I know you aren't saying that. I was only explaining why Qualcomm is not really a confused company.

They just realized somewhat late, how well Samsung's spec sheet marketing works. This is one area where Qualcomm didn't lead the market, but had to react. As a result, they changed their messaging and added some SKUs to their portfolio that cater to what those types of consumers want.

The only thing I'd disagree with you on is priorities. Making the best selling SoCs is far more important than making the fastest. Selling is their job. Everything else follows from that.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    07-09-2014 07:18 AM

Your right about the second part however, people do care more about core count than actual performance, I wish they were more educated. :/

But I seriously feel bad for Nvidia the last time a mainstream device used their chip was in 2012 when the HTC One X and Nexus 7 used the Tegra 3.

But there is hope, Google also showed the power of the new Tegra K1 chip at I/O so maybe next Nexus comes out with Tegra K1.
    that makes sense! maybe mobile gaming might become mature one day i guess with the right soc and os
    07-09-2014 07:32 AM
    I know you aren't saying that. I was only explaining why Qualcomm is not really a confused company.

They just realized somewhat late, how well Samsung's spec sheet marketing works. This is one area where Qualcomm didn't lead the market, but had to react. As a result, they changed their messaging and added some SKUs to their portfolio that cater to what those types of consumers want.

The only thing I'd disagree with you on is priorities. Making the best selling SoCs is far more important than making the fastest. Selling is their job. Everything else follows from that.

Making the best SOCs and getting it to sell are goals that go together. If Snapdragon makes a ****ty 8 core chip and even invest millions into sales and advertisement, no company would want it.
    07-09-2014 08:37 AM
    that makes sense! maybe mobile gaming might become mature one day i guess with the right soc and os
    I seriously don't game much on mobile, intact the only games I play on mobile are simple games that could be rendered smoothly even with a processor from 2010.

Why I want companies to adopt processors like Tegra K1 is because if those processors perform so exceptionally in games, imagine the fluidity it would ensure in regular apps.
    07-09-2014 08:41 AM
    Making the best SOCs and getting it to sell are goals that go together. If Snapdragon makes a ****ty 8 core chip and even invest millions into sales and advertisement, no company would want it.
    I think the popularity of 8-core SoCs and the crappy low-end Snapdragon quad-cores prove the opposite.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    07-09-2014 09:15 AM
    I think the popularity of 8-core SoCs and the crappy low-end Snapdragon quad-cores prove the opposite.

Lol the existing quad core Snapdragon chips aren't crappy
    07-09-2014 12:37 PM
    Lol the existing quad core Snapdragon chips aren't crappy
    I'm sure you are aware that Qualcomm has a large range of varying quad core offerings, and that these cores aren't all the same.

Some are great, but the cost-optimized low-end quad-cores exist only to allow OEMs to check the quad-core checkbox on the spec sheet. They don't exist because they are the technically best approach to mobile CPU design for smartphones.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    07-09-2014 01:20 PM
    I seriously don't game much on mobile, intact the only games I play on mobile are simple games that could be rendered smoothly even with a processor from 2010.

Why I want companies to adopt processors like Tegra K1 is because if those processors perform so exceptionally in games, imagine the fluidity it would ensure in regular apps.
    games are more demanding,apps dont need much to run
    07-09-2014 01:55 PM
    I'm sure you are aware that Qualcomm has a large range of varying quad core offerings, and that these cores aren't all the same.

Some are great, but the cost-optimized low-end quad-cores exist only to allow OEMs to check the quad-core checkbox on the spec sheet. They don't exist because they are the technically best approach to mobile CPU design for smartphones.

Haha your talking about the Snapdragon 400 here, am I right? Though it obviously doesn't match the power of the high end chips Snapdragon 400 is still a decent performer.
    07-09-2014 02:47 PM
    games are more demanding,apps dont need much to run

Your wrong about that.
    07-09-2014 02:47 PM
    Your wrong about that.
    not really
    07-10-2014 12:12 AM
61 123