64bit vs 32bit OS for mobiles in future

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm not saying Snapdragon makes bad chips, but it is the job of every SOC manufacturer to make the best SOCs.

Your right about the second part however, people do care more about core count than actual performance, I wish they were more educated. :/

But I seriously feel bad for Nvidia the last time a mainstream device used their chip was in 2012 when the HTC One X and Nexus 7 used the Tegra 3.

But there is hope, Google also showed the power of the new Tegra K1 chip at I/O so maybe next Nexus comes out with Tegra K1.

that makes sense! maybe mobile gaming might become mature one day i guess with the right soc and os

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I know you aren't saying that. I was only explaining why Qualcomm is not really a confused company.

They just realized somewhat late, how well Samsung's spec sheet marketing works. This is one area where Qualcomm didn't lead the market, but had to react. As a result, they changed their messaging and added some SKUs to their portfolio that cater to what those types of consumers want.

The only thing I'd disagree with you on is priorities. Making the best selling SoCs is far more important than making the fastest. Selling is their job. Everything else follows from that.

Making the best SOCs and getting it to sell are goals that go together. If Snapdragon makes a ****ty 8 core chip and even invest millions into sales and advertisement, no company would want it.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
that makes sense! maybe mobile gaming might become mature one day i guess with the right soc and os

I seriously don't game much on mobile, intact the only games I play on mobile are simple games that could be rendered smoothly even with a processor from 2010.

Why I want companies to adopt processors like Tegra K1 is because if those processors perform so exceptionally in games, imagine the fluidity it would ensure in regular apps.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Making the best SOCs and getting it to sell are goals that go together. If Snapdragon makes a ****ty 8 core chip and even invest millions into sales and advertisement, no company would want it.

I think the popularity of 8-core SoCs and the crappy low-end Snapdragon quad-cores prove the opposite.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Lol the existing quad core Snapdragon chips aren't crappy

I'm sure you are aware that Qualcomm has a large range of varying quad core offerings, and that these cores aren't all the same.

Some are great, but the cost-optimized low-end quad-cores exist only to allow OEMs to check the quad-core checkbox on the spec sheet. They don't exist because they are the technically best approach to mobile CPU design for smartphones.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I seriously don't game much on mobile, intact the only games I play on mobile are simple games that could be rendered smoothly even with a processor from 2010.

Why I want companies to adopt processors like Tegra K1 is because if those processors perform so exceptionally in games, imagine the fluidity it would ensure in regular apps.

games are more demanding,apps dont need much to run

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure you are aware that Qualcomm has a large range of varying quad core offerings, and that these cores aren't all the same.

Some are great, but the cost-optimized low-end quad-cores exist only to allow OEMs to check the quad-core checkbox on the spec sheet. They don't exist because they are the technically best approach to mobile CPU design for smartphones.

Haha your talking about the Snapdragon 400 here, am I right? Though it obviously doesn't match the power of the high end chips Snapdragon 400 is still a decent performer.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Hate to break it to you guys, but the consumers you're all talking about could care less about core counts and 64-bit vs 32-bit. They don't even know what a core is. You really think the average consumer buys the Samsung Galaxy S5 because of that Snapdragon 800? No, they buy it because it's a Samsung. No matter how many times a company puts specs in their advertisements, the average consumer will never buy it because of that. If specs mattered to the average consumer, Apple would be bankrupt. Phones are status symbols.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Many average consumers have some idea of core counts but are stupid enough to think more core count always means better performance.
Sent from my RM-914_im_mea3_380 using Tapatalk

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hate to break it to you guys, but the consumers you're all talking about could care less about core counts and 64-bit vs 32-bit.

I hate to break it to you, but I'm not talking about the consumers you think I am. ;-)

Many on WPC care, most on AC care, even mobile nations staff care. The number of people who understand how and under what circumstances core count contributes to performance improvements are few however. In what ways mobile cores differ from desktop cores and why they can't be thought of in the same way is a mystery to most.

While such folks are a minority, they are the ones recommending devices to friends and family, so they are influential, and important to have in your pocket.

Some companies design devices specifically for this group of people. They will happily include hardware that does little to nothing, as long as it makes devices look more appealing to this consumer segment. It's similar to Samsung faking benchmarks... anything to make a nice spec sheet,
... and most people on sites like this will eat it up.

It's not that we're all stupid. It's just that not everyone can own a degree in microelectronics and software engineering, which marketing departments are happy to exploit.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hate to break it to you guys, but the consumers you're all talking about could care less about core counts and 64-bit vs 32-bit. They don't even know what a core is. You really think the average consumer buys the Samsung Galaxy S5 because of that Snapdragon 800? No, they buy it because it's a Samsung. No matter how many times a company puts specs in their advertisements, the average consumer will never buy it because of that. If specs mattered to the average consumer, Apple would be bankrupt. Phones are status symbols.

A lot of consumers listen to their techie friends and purchased based on recommendation too...

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

not really,iphones still have some of the best cpus-gpus than even most androids despite being dual core
the galaxy s4 is advertised as octa core,one of the reasons people even bought it thinking it would be fast or something(they were soo wrong) it wasnt even octa core,its like taping two cpus together literally
samsung isnt a status symbol at all,people assume its a good brand and buy its products,ive had terrible experiences with samsung and refuse to buy any more samsung products
apple makes better quality products they arent perfect but better than samsung even though overpriced,people buy an iphone for its quality,speed etc
the logic more is better attracts consumers,nokia is doing something similiar with the 630(not a bad phone but its quad core performs equal to the 520s dual core apparently)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234