At what point will you abandon WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
When one or more of the following occurs:

1)
When MS regains a monopoly position in the mobile space and starts misusing that power to control what should be open technology/internet standards.

2)
When sharing information about myself, so MS' services function as intended (like Cortana), legally allows MS to do whatever they please with my information, as it becomes, by definition, their property.

3)
When Google purchases MS

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
When one or more of the following occurs:

1)
When MS regains a monopoly position in the mobile space and starts misusing that power to control what should be open technology/internet standards.

2)
When sharing information about myself, so MS' services function as intended (like Cortana), legally allows MS to do whatever they please with my information, as it becomes, by definition, their property.

3)
When Google purchases MS

I hope the last of those 3 NEVER happens.

Personally, I would leave if WP required proprietary stuff, the way apple products do.
Or if they slow down updates... More slow than their current rate, that is.

I'm quite happy with WP, and all it's quirks. Apple is too expensive, and google is just.... Google, and I don't feel safe using googles services.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
what app gap? tell me the app that you want, i will told them to create app for windows phone

idk why you guys care about apps, if you did, please go to developers' twitter, facebook, page, whatever, email, tell them to create apps for windows phone, and stop blaming microsoft, blame the app creator, some developers develop apps for windows phone only, same thing happen

Why should it be up to us? It is only on this platform that we constantly have this stream of people saying 'let's bug the developer to get the app'. Pretty sad if you ask me.

For WP to succeed it will need the popular apps and games. Without them they'll stay at 3% globally. In most people's view WP has already failed and completely ignore it. Who's fault is that? Sure isn't mine.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Im glad the app situation hasnt hurt me greatly, although it sucks that here in Canada the CBC FIFA App is only available on Apple/Android and its amazing. Putting Apps aside, i just came back to WP 2 months ago after having an iPhone 5S for about 7 months...and while the UI and Camera (1020) keep me happy about my choice to return, I do find MS's choices with mobile may be gliding away from me. Its probably more to do with the lack of 8.1 device announcements, to me to seems MS is holding out in hopes that the older Lumia models will keep them in for a long haul for the next year or so. I returned because 8.1 fixed a lot of the issues and its GREAT! However, it stills doesnt offer the customization options avaliable on Android. My only Android device i owned was a S3, ive played with a bunch of others and the new Androids (4.4+) are MUCH better than 4.0. When it comes down to it i've come to realize these are all just "Phones", i gotta stop finding excuses to keep switching.

With that said, my contract is up in Nov 2015 and if MS has not taken WP much further in comparison to Android/Apple i will be DONE. I am a MS supporter, not a ******...i prefer their products and OS. I've got a Surface Pro 2 and Xbox One, both incredible machines. BUT, as more and more applications are released that are changing the way we interact in every day life, and the less WP gets the support makes me sad.

Torch4x4

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Recently updated my WP HTC 8X to a Lumia Icon and I was thinking about Android but... fortunately I'm the person who orders and activate the cell phones for our employees in our company so I have the chance to test the iPhones, Galaxy S5, HTC One, etc. etc. the only thing that I found better is the app count, for my other platforms are not only boring, certainly they have pros and cons in the OS but the best things that I need are becoming first on WP, so I have to choose the Lumia Icon for simple things in WP8.1 not available yet in other platforms:

Two months ago I went to Albuquerque NM for a business trip, but I decided to visit some of the Breaking Bad locations so I asked Cortana and ended at this website:
Breaking Bad Tour - Wikitravel
On WP I noticed the address of walter white house highlighted and you can easily navigate just tapping on the address... why this is not possible in the Galaxy 5S or iPhone?
I really like the integration of Cortana and addresses with navigation and time/dates with the calendar, those are better in WP than others and I proved it 2 months ago in my trip to Albuquerque... That's why I choose to stay this time on WP with the lumia icon, also the 20mpixel camera, offline maps, wireless charging, user interface, etc. etc. the choose of an OS is not only because the apps

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I recently turned on my Lumia 820 for the first time in over a month, and I'm going to be prepping it for a back-up phone. Unfortunately, I'm really disappointed in the lack of true progress with the music situation. Also the incredibly, embarrassingly bad Mac support. Still waiting for Microsoft to fix it, but I just don't know if it's ever going to get to where I want it before Microsoft ultimately decides to pull the plug with no warning and pretend it never happened.

Bhagyesh Shukla

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I will support Windows phone instead.
I love the metro UI, Smoothness and Clarity and most delightful feeling when I hold it in my hand the pretty yellow polycarbonate plastic my Lumia720.
In fact, not only my phone but, if I hold even any Lumia line-up phones, it feels awesome and inspiring.
I am using Microsoft services for 15years of my life and the way it has grown, believe me it's revolution kind of thing.
And with such inspiring, lovely gadget really makes me feel the way I am.
Critics and viewers and users around the world says there's no Customization option, notification centre, lacks in app and games.
Seriously ask yourself, do you really need this features!!! m not bothered if they exist..
M seriously asking you one question,which phone allows you to pin anything to start screen(app/game/doc/folder/file/contact/group contacts/email folders/photo albums/web page) with live tiles!!!
Which phone in this world gives you access to such things to have your own personalised screen and with live tiles where you can see the updates without opening the tiles pinned to start screen!!! JUST THINK OVER IT!
But they do not know how successful it was and was able to sustain for 4 years now! These features will come in 8.1 with modernised touches and major improvements I will never ever abandon unless Microsoft abandon it!

I feel that we all are lacking in spreading the awareness about these phones/surface. And for that, the marketing strategy need to be reform and implemented asap. And their developers have to follow their regime and work seriously behind the scene for designing the apps and deploy the new apps so that we can compete the app gap remaining.
Our future of Microsoft is bright and powerful that no one can poke it!\
I was pretty impressed by Surface pro 3 but their barriers are too much where we the people in INDIA cannot take the advantage.
M just suggesting, seriously if they expand their sources and connectivity with INDIA, they will grow like anything. We the users in India are not having Bing rewards, Cortana(initial), Bing local scout, Skype credits, no official X Box one/music/videos, nor zune nor surfaces! please expand. M not against Other countries but I feel that we are left behind and can't take fully advantage of Microsoft services and products!
I will end with a quote, "the power of bow needed to stretch will determine the arrow's flight at the right place"

Last edited:

Amran Nagal

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Unless they fix the news fees issue in the facebook app going to abondon WP immediately after the next iPhone release.
2 years broken news feed.
Enough is enough.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
CCurious as to what you don't like about Xbox music?

Well..

- No gapless playback
- Black screen of death (waiting for like 10 seconds for it to load realizing that it wouldn't)
- Volume rocker doesn't change volume unless you get your phone and turn on the screen
- Playlists being shuffled starts at the very first song
- Always updating music
- Album art on songs mysteriously disappear (that's my own thing, sorry)
- For some reason some songs wont play and skip to the next then if I try it again it works
- Very noticeable lag when scrolling through playlists
- Sometimes "shuffle" doesn't work for some odd reason
- Sometimes, songs play but you hear no sound, a restart is the only way to get through it
- A repeated second of the last song played every time. It's one thing not to have gapless playback and another for it sounding like a scratched up CD at the end

Also this happened to me twice, I synced my phone to my laptop with the WP Desktop App and it completed syncing but when I try it on, all of the songs were not there. Very annoying.

Those are just some annoying things on top of my head. I'm pretty sure I left out a few more. It's annoying. Very. I really want to like it but it really doesn't work for me. I also tried other third party music players but they were really bad. The problem with Xbox Music now is that in WP8 Music+Video works just fine for me sans the gapless playback which I find appalling as to how it's not built in the app but I'm fine with that but with the other issues, I'm not.

I'm a music buff and I find Music+Videos really nice when I switched from an iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Windows Phone but the issue with Xbox Music is very dominant that I can't find any excuse to like it. I'm thinking of switching back to an iPhone when the issues doesn't get resolved in 8 months time but I'll definitely be back if they get these things right.

​Just my two cents.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
The app gap has become overwhelming. Unless their new high end device is so compelling that it forces me to stick around, I'll be going with Android by Christmas. Almost every retailer, service provider, and manufacturer has an app available and almost all of them exclude WP. My quality of life would be so much better if I could use the apps that are important to me that IOS/Android have already had for years. When it comes to smartphones Microsoft doesn't seem to get it.

Charles Wang

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I will abandon WP when it no longer has anything unique to offer. The more it works like its competitors the less I will be willing to put up with the bad sides of WP (lack of apps, etc.)

If WP works like a mix of iOS and Android and still lacks apps, then why put up with it and not just get iOS or Android that mostly have the apps that come out.

This is exactly how I feel. WP8.1 removes a lot of what made WP unique in the first place. If it's going to lose those differentiating factors, then why put up with a sub-par experience?

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion if you stuck with WP through it's zygote stages then this is definitely not the time to abandon it. WP 8.1 gets more and more amazing with every update, yes even with the issues with Xbox Music/Video. I am an avide Zune user as I still use my Zune HD to work out with, but I've been able to improve my Xbox music experience and utilize it in a way that captures the benefits of using it. From Cortana to transparent tiles to more developers and OEMs, the time is now to embrace WP. Not to mention the all MSFT experience, which I'm loving with my Xbox 360(soone to be Xbox One) Asus T100 with Windows 8.1. With more developers creating apps for fitness and home integration, not only has WP established itself to be on the same level as its iOS and Andriod counterparts, but it some instances establsihing a new standard, like Cortana integration. If you leave WP now, the UI isn't the only thing you'll miss, trust me.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion if you stuck with WP through it's zygote stages then this is definitely not the time to abandon it. WP 8.1 gets more and more amazing with every update, yes even with the issues with Xbox Music/Video. I am an avide Zune user as I still use my Zune HD to work out with, but I've been able to improve my Xbox music experience and utilize it in a way that captures the benefits of using it. From Cortana to transparent tiles to more developers and OEMs, the time is now to embrace WP. Not to mention the all MSFT experience, which I'm loving with my Xbox 360(soone to be Xbox One) Asus T100 with Windows 8.1. With more developers creating apps for fitness and home integration, not only has WP established itself to be on the same level as its iOS and Andriod counterparts, but it some instances establsihing a new standard, like Cortana integration. If you leave WP now, the UI isn't the only thing you'll miss, trust me.

I have used Windows Mobile for years before I bought my first Windows Phone device when the Omnia 7 was released. Since then I have owned two additional Windows Phone 7 devices and two Windows Phone 8 devices. I'm pretty sure I stuck with WP during its zygote stage. After all these years every living animal on this planet would be walking though, while Windows Phone still is trying.

Cortana is US exclusive and in beta, with no release date. Transparent tiles are nice to have, but certainly nothing worth mentioning when discussing whether people should stick to the platform. There might be more and more apps being released, but they usually lack heavily in quality. The OEMs that come on board release low-budget phones, none of the big names are in the game anymore.

At the same time, OneDrive, Office and Exchange work perfectly on Android and iOS. So I certainly won't stay for the services.

No, I've stuck with WP a long time, but WP is stuck. Time for a change.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion if you stuck with WP through it's zygote stages then this is definitely not the time to abandon it.

To you the advantages might be worth the shortcomings. To others, enough is enough. What I'm doing is letting others like you who think it's worth it to stick with it, and I'll sit outside and watch until I feel it'll work for me. I have no ties to any platform; I go with what I feel is the best for me. Right now, that's not WP.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
To you the advantages might be worth the shortcomings. To others, enough is enough. What I'm doing is letting others like you who think it's worth it to stick with it, and I'll sit outside and watch until I feel it'll work for me. I have no ties to any platform; I go with what I feel is the best for me. Right now, that's not WP.

Have you used a high-end WP, or just a Lumia 520? I used a 521 for several months and eventually moved on.

Now I'm with Verizon and I'm going to be trying out a Lumia 822 for a while to see if it has any more staying power with me.

But if it's the OS and apps that are the issue for you, then of course it doesn't matter how nice the hardware is. :)

I'm also a platform-agnostic tech geek, so it's rare that I stay with any one device more than 6 months.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Have you used a high-end WP, or just a Lumia 520? I used a 521 for several months and eventually moved on.

Now I'm with Verizon and I'm going to be trying out a Lumia 822 for a while to see if it has any more staying power with me.

But if it's the OS and apps that are the issue for you, then of course it doesn't matter how nice the hardware is. :)

I'm also a platform-agnostic tech geek, so it's rare that I stay with any one device more than 6 months.

The 822 won't help your opinion of Windows Phone. I had the 820, and it's NOT a great device. For what is is, I loved my 520. But the 820 is like a stubborn middle child angry that its older siblings get more awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos