Android Apps Coming to Windows Phone

Liam Perry

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
100% conjecture. Hear me out.

Microsoft now owns the Nokia X family, with it's software platform, app store and android app compatibility.
Microsoft already owns the WindowsPhone software platform and app store.

What if the "big thing coming to windows phone" was a merger of these two app store platforms? Nokia X apps available in the Windows Phone Store? Could potentially go a long way to close the app gap. I don't see microsoft opening up the platform allowing users to install any old XAP they find.

Visually the platforms aren't all that different. Nokia X 2.0 looks STRIKINGLY SIMILAR to WP8. Now MS has both app stores under one roof, and more android developer relations. This could be a possibility.

Liam Perry

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Different guts altogether, doubt it is possible. Nokia X runs Android.

Sent from pin:2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro

Very possible.
Android Compatibility layers were added to Blackberry 10, MeeGo, Sailfish and a number of other operating systems, I don't see how it would be impossible when we have Android Compatibility Layer products freely available on the market.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Very possible.
Android Compatibility layers were added to Blackberry 10, MeeGo, Sailfish and a number of other operating systems, I don't see how it would be impossible when we have Android Compatibility Layer products freely available on the market.

That'll mean WP's OEMs will be gone , because OEMs signed the Open Handset Alliance meaning they can't use any OS using Android Code

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well if microsoft goes that route it will be the end of native app store.
See what happened to BBworld.who develops app for them anymore?developers wont care coz we would use their app anyway via android compatibility.
And even hardcore BB fans admit it doesnt equal native app functionality.
I hope there is no such thoughts going on. Honestly the app gap of wp is nothing compared to BB world which barely had any native apps which actually forced their hand to improve android runtime.
Yeah we have some gap in apps but no where as worse as that to take such a decision which will be the end of native appstore and the smooth experience.

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I think everyone is getting it wrong. The big thing that MS guy spoke about might be merging WP and RT or the McLaren.
Loading other platform apps on top of the OS is not such a good idea. You will never get that smooth experience you get while running native apps. I have used android apps on my cousin's Z10 and hated it
Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that is what they meant with- android app are designed to work on an open OS. That is wild west among the OSs while WP is way much restricted than it....this definitely can't be achieved unless WP becomes more open or by downgrading the quality level of those app....doing so will give us no benifit and as far as I know microsoft, they are not going to make the OS more open ...so the idea is not practicle ( I didn't mean impossible).

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
Not a chance. If MS allows Android apps to run on WP then WP would effectively be dead. The ideas is to merge WP and WinRT to have a single app store and enable those apps to run on Win8 and XboxOne so that developing a single app will make it work on all MS platforms.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

Microsoft now owns the Nokia X family, with it's software platform, app store and android app compatibility.

What if the "big thing coming to windows phone" was a merger of these two app store platforms? Nokia X apps available in the Windows Phone Store? Could potentially go a long way to close the app gap. I don't see microsoft opening up the platform allowing users to install any old XAP they find.

Visually the platforms aren't all that different. Nokia X 2.0 looks STRIKINGLY SIMILAR to WP8. Now MS has both app stores under one roof, and more android developer relations. This could be a possibility.

Nokia X family runs Android with a skin that looks like WP8, nothing more. Much the same way Samsung's TouchWiz is a skin for Android on their handsets. End of the day it's still Android underneath.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well if microsoft goes that route it will be the end of native app store.
See what happened to BBworld.who develops app for them anymore?developers wont care coz we would use their app anyway via android compatibility.
And even hardcore BB fans admit it doesnt equal native app functionality.
I hope there is no such thoughts going on. Honestly the app gap of wp is nothing compared to BB world which barely had any native apps which actually forced their hand to improve android runtime.
Yeah we have some gap in apps but no where as worse as that to take such a decision which will be the end of native appstore and the smooth experience.

I don't know what BB fans you've spoken to but my personal experience on a Z10 was that you couldn't tell the difference. The fact that apps which depend on Play services won't run on the BB10 platform is not a legit argument for saying that the apps don't function properly. Granted, the Z10 has 2 gigs of RAM and that usually helps.

go1020

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
@OP, I'm starting to think the same. This is both a "big thing" and "will upset the (non-WP) world". After all, many WP users quit because of apps' absence/not being as feature rich, while still missing/yearning for the OS/live-tiles/clean interface. This could satisfy them, if implemented correctly.

As for those who are not on WP, could incentivize them if they are considering WP for reasons other than apps, but stay back because of apps. Whether this will cause non-WP developers to keep ignoring the platform, or motivate them to write WP-flavored apps, will be interesting to watch (depends on whether the move tips the sales in favor of WP, I guess).

AwesomeLewis24

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Nah, this would never happen. Android and Windows Phone run completely different hardware and process apps differently.

As well as that, Microsoft probably would never "give in" to Android, as Microsoft want to be independent. Because of this, however, many Android developers are starting to re develop / port their current Android apps to Windows Phone. It will take some time, but it will be worth the wait!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium