3D Imaging OR "What was old is new again (maybe)"

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Back a hundred years ago or so, before the days of cell phones, TV's and movies, there was a device called a stereoscope. It would let people see things in 3D via "postcards". I think you've seen these:
stereoscope.jpg

The way they got the 3D effect was to take 2 pictures simultaneously a few inches apart. Let's think about that for a second... They took 2 pictures simultaneously a few inches apart. What do we have now a days that could EASILY take 2 simultaneous pictures a few inches apart... Let me think... Hmm... Why I have this device called a "cell phone" that lines up pretty well with where my eyes are if I put it in landscape mode. All someone would have to do is put cameras on each end of the phone and BOOM! Perfect platform for this!
Think about all the pics we take everyday and then think about what it would be like if we could take those pics in 3D. Hmm...
​Can someone smarter than me in cell phone design discuss this?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
DANG! Thought I was onto something. I wonder why it didn't take off?

If I remember correctly the phone wasn't that great to begin with, the 3D screen suffered from the same problem as the 3DS does, you have to hold it absolutely in the right position. Also, sharing 3D pictures makes only sense when the other person also has a 3D screen.

Also I think it was a Sprint only release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo