Feed Reader Requirements and Choices (crowdsourced, hopefully)

RobHalligan

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
After reading a bunch of posts usually asking "What's the best feed reader?", I figured out what I'd want to have before I'd bother changing my discombobulated system. What's best for my requirements is not best for someone else's. So, I'm starting another (hopefully distinct) post that doesn?t try for "best" but for "best fit" by characteristic. I list my requirements in the linked chart but you can adapt for yours.

My requirements:
1) A product or combo that allows me to sync and add both RSS feeds and individual stories from W8, WP8, and IE.
2) I'd rather pay for the app than have ads in my feed -- if it's possible to not have ads.
3) The ability to export/import OPML files or RSS, so I don?t get locked in.
4) Universal apps would be good to have.
5) I'll use a separate podcast app.

Then I started this OneNote page with an editable chart to help analyze and choose among products. Feel free to edit and/or add to this chart and re-use data.

RobHalligan

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
With all these options, I'm still reading a couple articles and/or posts a day trying to figure what I'll do. I'm looking at:
1) Feedly and Pocket though Nextgen and Pouch - kinda complicated
2) Weave and Pocket -- if I can find that Weave doesn't lock me in. Also, I don?t see a W7 (IE) viewing option. (If I spend a lot of time dumping, organizing and maintaining my feeds, I want to be able to move to a different product if the world changes.)

This post has lots of readers but no commenters or users adding to the OneNote table yet...Any questions or suggestions?

alphablue597

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'm using nextgen reader,I think that this is the best reader app on all platform.I don't use pocket, instead I'm using OneNote and Microsoft reading list. You can save your news to OneNote from nextgen reader. Just try nextgen reader and you'll see it's the best.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I love next gen reader, but I want an app where I can import an OPML file directly into it. NGR uses feedly and feedly has some kind of issue with craigslist feeds now, which is the only thing I use a reader for.

RSS Central works for importing OPML, but is pretty slow at updating, and the live tile wasn't working for me. Also no support for lock screen. I also don't like how it organized feeds, not as easy to use as NGR.

I'm still looking for the right app for me.

RobHalligan

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
It's the export feature that's really rising to importance to me as I mess with these products. The Weave developer (@SelesGames) replied affirmatively to my Twitter inquiry as to whether he plans to add import and export. OPML seems to be the main way to accomplish that even though it doesn't seem to transfer folders from app to app.

My requirements will change when I don’t have any more Windows 7 machines to sync. Then my choice improve.

RE craigslist feeds: I haven’t messed with them much but there are different way to generate. The bottom of each craigslist search page has an RSS button, IE has an IE button, and you can put the search URL (rather than the RSS URL) in Feedly.com's "search or add feed" window. I found the search URL worked on one search when the others didn’t.

RobHalligan

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Anybody have luck with craigslist feeds in feedly? As camaroz1985 writes of above, I can't get craigslist feeds to update in feedly. There's an RSS button at the bottom of the search result page that will create a feed that will work in feedly once and won't show all the results.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
It is an issue with feedly. I have been using The Old Reader and Toruc app for a while now, and it works well. Not as nice as NextGen Reader, but acceptable. If Toruc was updated to allow lock screen notification support it would be great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss