No Mclaren this year. What to do???

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
the 930 isn't a true upgrade of the 920 because it is missing features that the 920 has. it can't be upgrade if it's one step forward one step back.
the main missing feature I'm talking about is Glance. very important feature.
in addition, looking at the specs sheets, 930 is missing PureMotion HD+, has a downgraded mediocre front-facing camera, and most importantly the LTE bands needed to be used in the USA.

Going by that logic, it would suffice if McLaren is replaced with a new flagship (maybe 935?) with said features above, plus Snapdragon 801/805?

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
We have two Lumia devices eligible for upgrade soon (L800 and an L920). I was kind of looking forward to the rumored McLaren for myself; would be nice for MS to release a real attention grabbing phone, but I am sure (hopeful??) there are going to be some great new devices out of that set of leaked code-names. We will sit tight and wait and see what comes out (hope to see some leaked specs soon though). In Canada, however, to get a 'flagship' or 'hero' WP device likely means you will have to shop eBay or buy an unlocked version from an online retailer.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I hope Microsoft does not make the same mistakes this year, like releasing their flagship/Hero in Q4 instead of Q3 as they have within the past two years.

The issue is that they are still going through the integration process, the hardware in the books is from Nokia, stuff that's probably a bit stale and in need of updates etc. That cant take place right now, MS have said that new devices will be out with the next version of windows, that is enough time for them to develop both hardware and software, test and release. I know its frustrating as i was looking forward to Mclaren and right now the flagships are half sunk due to the old technology inside. This delay was inevitable, nothing that anyone could have done.

The reason some ppl are doom and gloom is that they are looking at the recent actions only without understanding the long term implication. The long term implications are actually great! A company taking control of both hardware AND OS, greater communication and transparency between teams, less middle management so they can move much faster, Windows platform integration.. great things are coming whether we stay or go.

StuBeck

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering going android for a bit. I have a 920 and simply want a new phone. Not buying the 1020, even though I love the idea of a 41 MP camera...its on aging hardware and the prices are really high considering I can buy a Nexus 5 for a similar price. I'm also thinking of just using my 520 I have for backup and selling my 920 since its never going to be worth more than it is now.

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft just needs a win of some kind soon.

I'd like something to be excited about before 2015. I'm due for an upgrade in just a few months. I've liked my 925 but I've been pretty rough on it and would like to move to something that feels like a significant step forward. Even if it's just in build and battery life.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Going by that logic, it would suffice if McLaren is replaced with a new flagship (maybe 935?) with said features above, plus Snapdragon 801/805?

I believe this will happen. But when? And what happens in the meantime? McLaren was expected to release in time for the holidays. I don't see its replacement arriving until sometime in 2015, which is a long time from now. We already know that the Galaxy Note 4 & iPhone 6 are coming in the next few months. We'll likely get the Galaxy S6 in March or April 2015. Every month's delay for McLaren's replacement will make it that much more difficult.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Everyone here seems to assume that if there was no leaked news of another flagship other than the McLaren, then it doesn't exist. That's just fallacious.

Besides, a 3D phone would not qualify as a successor to the 1020. It might not even be a successor to the 9XX series. I am fully expecting a 1020 successor on the horizon even if it "only" has SD805 with the same camera module. Or, they could have something revolutionary going on with the camera and keeping their cards close to the chest, like they did with the 808.

Stinomus

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm kind of glad they killed it off, it was the poster child for 3D Touch and from everything I've seen of those implementations they have sucked. It's a good thing if Microsoft has said their implementation isn't really right or intuitive or non-gimmicky or whatever. They'll probably kill Mclaren - as it was the 3D Touch poster child - remove the 3D Touch element and call it something else. I don't see them dumping all the other features just because 3D Touch didn't work out.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 is an awesome phone...without a doubt its the best smartphone I've ever used. Personally, I can't imagine a new flagship phone that's going to be much better than a top spec 1520. And keeping in mind that the 1520 is actually not even 9 months old yet, its still very much a flagship phone for MS

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't really care much for 3D right now. I think MS stopped it because it's not ready for commercial user yet (i.e. not perfected). I really want to see the next-gen 1020 with the 41 MP or better technology + S805. MS recently has a cross-patent deal with Canon, so hopefully something reciting comes out of it.

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Seriously....

Now what the heck am I supposed to replace my Lumia 920 with? I hope they have something up their sleeve, as I'd rather not switch carriers to get the 930/Icon. Need a valid successor on AT&T.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Seriously....

Now what the heck am I supposed to replace my Lumia 920 with? I hope they have something up their sleeve, as I'd rather not switch carriers to get the 930/Icon. Need a valid successor on AT&T.

I think the expectation on MS to deliver a flagship that makes us all go 'wow' is a tad unrealistic for 2014. Nokia pretty much stopped working on any new devices seeing as MS was buying them out. MS havnt developed any phone hardware and the software is for existing Nokia phones. As the teams work closer together and start sharing info/code etc THEN we will see devices developed that (hopefully) sing harmoniously between OS and HArdware, no more overheating like the 930 does, no more inexplicable battery drains, no more 6 month old hardware. MS require time. If you or anyone else is not prepared to give them that then no worries, we all understand and good luck with whatever other OS is chosen, im sure you/others will be back.

Im also in your situation, I have 920 and 1020 both contracts expire in November. When they do I am going to switch to sim only as no point in paying a subsidized contract when phone has been paid for so my monthly bill will be less. I am not going to keel over if I wait till early 2015 when the new version of Windows (with phone integrated) comes out. All the signs are positive, just wait, if not then GL.

umovies

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
what s the possibility that it still is coming I mean microsoft isnt nokia, they like keeping thing secret till time to release it, they even fire and prosecute offenders, so isnt possible that it still will come this year???

rudypoochris

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Seriously....

Rumor is the 930 might be coming to ATT after the Verizon exclusive expires in ~1 month.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Rumor is the 930 might be coming to ATT after the Verizon exclusive expires in ~1 month.

May I ask where you heard this? I've only seen it from someone on Reddit that says a Microsoft Store associate told them this information (not quite sure how they'd know), and even went as far as to say green will be one of the color options.

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
So still no 930, which I wouldn't get anyway since now it is an "old" phone.

Anyone else considering an iPhone 6 or Note 4? I know I'd hate myself for it after a few days, but my 920 is 2 years old now...I want a new lumia flagship / hero device.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I wont go back to IOS, and Android has absolutely no appeal for me, having to deal with family members with problems every week, and helping co-workers with android phones just turns me off.

My plan is to buy an 830 off contract and save my upgrade for next years flagship phones. The 830 is a VERY minor upgrade from the 920, but I am starting to see some problems with my aged 920 (vibration motor is loose inside, so it does not vibrate anymore :()

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
So still no 930, which I wouldn't get anyway since now it is an "old" phone.

Anyone else considering an iPhone 6 or Note 4? I know I'd hate myself for it after a few days, but my 920 is 2 years old now...I want a new lumia flagship / hero device.

I am considering possibly a move to Android. But I'm holding out until I see what comes of Windows 10. Depending on that is whether or not I pick up a note or not

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)