No Mclaren this year. What to do???

dductran

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So we just found out that Microsoft will not be releasing the rumored flagship device with 3D touch systems later this year. This means that there might not be a flagship for the holiday season.

I don't know about you guys but i currently have the Lumia 920 and was waiting for the rumored device to be released so that i could upgrade. Since this is no longer happening, I am considering upgrading to the Lumia 1520.
However before i do this, i wanted to get you opinion. It seems that there was a second flagship device rumored to be released later this year, is this confirmed or just hocus pocus from crazy sources.

Also i know that this is new news and not much information is available, however how long do you think the Mclaren will be delayed for?? Early next year? Q2 of next year? if its within the first few months of 2015, i might be able to wait long enough to upgrade....

also wanted to know what you guys are going to do, now that the Mclaren is no longer going to be released this year

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Id wait for the 1525, disappointing is an understatement tbh - i also have a 920 (930 is not a worthy uograde) and 1020 which is reaching end of life. I want a great WP device, something cutting edge using the latest technology.

The frustration continues.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Id wait for the 1525, disappointing is an understatement tbh - i also have a 920 (930 is not a worthy uograde) and 1020 which is reaching end of life. I want a great WP device, something cutting edge using the latest technology.

The frustration continues.....

I also want a hero device, not just a flagship. The 930 is a worthy upgrade from the 920, it's just a flagship device, not a hero device.

dductran

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I also want a hero device, not just a flagship. The 930 is a worthy upgrade from the 920, it's just a flagship device, not a hero device.

i see what you mean. if you're anything like me, after hearing rumors about the Mclaren, it only made me yearn for what could be... however who knows when that might be!! i definately plan on waiting it out for a while, but i am getting quite impatient!!

and as for the 1525, i was considering it. there are currently two sources, evLeaks suggets that it just has an 801 soc upgrade whereas phonearena suggests the 1525 will have an 805 soc with QHD resolution screen. Unfortunatel Evleaks is probably more accurate but we will have to see.

Hoping more news about the 1525 will be leaked within the coming weeks, as well as more news on Mclaren.

till then, ill just have to go back to dreaming and yearning

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
The big question now is whether the McLaren and 1030 were ever one in the same or separate devices because I've heard reports go either way. If it's the latter, I'd probably still hold off for the 1030 which I assume would still be released. Otherwise I have a 928 that's seen better days and an eligible early upgrade from Verizon so if there isn't a new flagship in the pipe for more than 6 months or so I might as well just get an Icon.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm definitely bummed. My contract is up in November and I don't want to be paying my regular monthly payment (which includes a subsidy for a device) without actually having a new device that is subsidized.

But I don't want to go on a 2 yr contract for a device that doesn't wow me. WP has been in a lull with devices. Nothing all that new and interesting since the 1020 and 1520.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as OP. Fortunately I still like my 920 but this throws a bit of a monkey wrench into my plans. I may just wait until next year to upgrade but the 1525 warrants consideration for sure if it rolls out.

rpac78

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Question: No Mclaren this year. What to do???

Answer: Considering Mclaren was just a rumor with no photos to provide evidence of it's existence, maybe making a decision on the next purchase with real phones that are available in real life.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So is it the 3D touch that was so desired that is making people so depressed or something else? Because there was really nothing else mentioned about what specs this phone would have so I'm wondering why its cancellation seems to have hit so many so hard. If we're going by rumours there is always the 1525 and possibly others we havent heard about so the loss of this phone really shouldnt be such an issue, right?

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Question: No Mclaren this year. What to do???

Answer: Considering Mclaren was just a rumor with no photos to provide evidence of it's existence, maybe making a decision on the next purchase with real phones that are available in real life.

Snarky comments are always useful. I think most people here understand the difference between a rumored phone and an actual phone that's available, but thanks for helping. See what I did there?

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'd say that I'd you can wait - be patient. Something will be announced. MSFT will have something coming. Hopefully it can be considered a hero device but I'm thinking they're going to time the big stuff around the 2015 threshold release...

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget about the leaked code names from April 15th

Ara, Leo, Moonraker, Onyx, Peridot, Superman, Tesla, and Vantage.

Don't know which are flagships, or which are still in development, but there is still hope.

My 920 is still serving me well, hope there is a new device in December on AT&T when my contract is up

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
So is it the 3D touch that was so desired that is making people so depressed or something else? Because there was really nothing else mentioned about what specs this phone would have so I'm wondering why its cancellation seems to have hit so many so hard. If we're going by rumours there is always the 1525 and possibly others we havent heard about so the loss of this phone really shouldnt be such an issue, right?

I think it's because there has been such a lack of new devices coming out or rumored. McLaren was our only real hope for a true hero device. A lot of us have upgrades available around the time McLaren was supposed to have come out and were looking forward to it. As it stands, there are no real options for a lot of us. The only high-end devices known or rumored are the 1520/1525 which are too big for a lot of people and the 930/Icon which aren't available on AT&T (so the majority of WP users in the US). Nobody (well, very very few people) are going to pay $700 for a phone that is crippled by lack of LTE and MMS.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely bummed. My contract is up in November and I don't want to be paying my regular monthly payment (which includes a subsidy for a device) without actually having a new device that is subsidized.

But I don't want to go on a 2 yr contract for a device that doesn't wow me. WP has been in a lull with devices. Nothing all that new and interesting since the 1020 and 1520.

One option for you would be to get an iPhone 6 or Note 4. If WP gets a new flagship after that you should be able to sell whatever you have and use that to pay for the new WP off contract. You'd probably lose a little, but it shouldn't be too much. iPhones especially, and also Samsung's flagships, retain their value very well.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

For me, it wasn't necessarily the 3D technology as much as it was the fact that this high-end phone was going to be released on the top 3 US carriers - essentially killing this exclusivity nonsense.
If you are participating in this forum, you are a little bit more passionate about the platform than the average user and passion around this platform will always be fueled by rumors. People like us like to know what's on the horizon and when McLaren was "announced" it was a pretty huge deal.

Last edited:

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Exactly! If your in UK GiffGaff is a good option

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo