The whole Twitter debacle...

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this because not only does it affect WP, but also Windows and the devs themselves. I ended up posting here and I hope it wasn't wrong of me.

What I want to know is, given Twitter's API, why do devs bother with 3rd party clients? With this I don't want to diminish your work, but we all know that in the long run, you're probably gonna end up shutting down like Rowi and Metrotwit did. Most 3rd party clients are appreciated by the community and even those of us, like me, who don't use Twitter all that much, feel sad to see such awesome apps go.

And don't you guys feel that they (Twitter) are a bit hypocrites?... I mean... If any given 3rd party app for WP reaches the token limit, it shuts down. However, the most famous 3rd party client for iOS launched back in 2011 and it's still going strong and I'd bet my right hand it already reached said limit. That's lame as hell.

Not only that, but apparently, the token limit can be increased if the app is good enough. Funny though, that no WP client is ever good enough for them to do that, which again, I'm willing to bet they did with Tweetbot, Twiterrific and the likes on iOS. And when we had such good clients on WP and Windows, it really makes me question Twitter's judgement or lack thereof.

@truebe Truebe Minus Context

Per our API Terms of Service (https://dev.twitter.com/terms/api-terms), applications or services which attempt to replicate the core user experience provided by Twitter are subject to a token cap.

If your service does not attempt to replicate the core Twitter user experience then this token cap does not apply to your service and you will not need to apply for a higher token limit.

If the application you are building looks/feels/acts like the Twitter Clients owned and operated by Twitter, Inc. then this cap does apply.

We know that there are developers that want to take their passion for Twitter and its ecosystem to unique, underserved situations that we do not already cover. As such, we have built some flexibility into our policy with regard to user tokens. If you feel your application replicates our core user experience for a userbase which we are underserving, please file a ticket at https://support.twitter.com/forms/platform and let us know, as you may qualify for an exception.

Regards,
@truebe
Twitter Platform Operations

I didn't start this thread with the intention of creating a flame war of app vs app or OS vs OS. I'm just trying to understand all of this.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre