New action center concept

phaser1

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the feedback. However I did not change how the current action center works. The notification system is still the same. the only differences with the existing action center are that there are 5 instead of 4 'quick actions' available and that there is no 'clear all' button anymore (which I think was unnecessary).

It's not that the apps go on standby, I just grouped the notifications per app and gave them a color to make them more recognisable. :)

note: The notifications of the messenger app are wrong on the screenshot. They are correct however on the animated gif.

Malay Agarwal

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Yeah
But its not pretty
That kind of representation will require special coding in the apps themselves to be viewed like that. Microsoft cant code the apps now
And I think that clear all button is very much required
What if u have 100 emails, 5 phone calls, 10 WhatsApp messages
U wont remove each one of them individually

phaser1

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate your opinion. I won't debate whether it's pretty or not. But the only extra thing you need is a custom color for each app. Apart from that, no extra coding is necessary. And for the last remark, in 3 swipes it is al gone. (it is also like that in the current action center) :)
edit: Also, the iphone notification center has no 'clear all' as far as I know

Last edited:

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Why do you need a custom color? Its already grouped by app. The quick actions they could add another box to make it 5 as opposed to the current 4 (a leaked screenshot from back before it was announced had 5 quick actions on a 1520). I dunno why you changed the icons and made it follow the swipe all the way to the bottom either.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
nice attempt but the trick is to keep it simple
i agree too much going on and i would not like my toggles at the bottom to easy to hit by mistake.
also i would stick with dark colours or System Accent colours that white on black with app colours is a bit jarring
but i like your attempt you can use my edit and build on it as i do believe you have a good idea going
also i love your location icon better than the one it has now.
I.E expand on what MS has given us

my mock up uses rectangular tiles sort off
it shows
App icon, notification counter, app name and a preview of the messages max of three previews per tile.
as the tile allows for three previews the tile flips to show me like in whats app it shows the first three your got then if you got more messages when it flips it shows the others and so on. if multiple messages from the same contact comes in it shows the last message your received and keep updating as such.

tiles can also be swiped away in both directions left and right.

for apps like email a one finger hold and dragg will expand it further ...

mod2.3.png

phaser1

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Your mockup looks very good! I agree that I probably should have stuck with a more black rectangular looking theme. But then again, I wanted to try some new things. The thing that bugs me a bit about the current action center is that it looks old-fashioned to me. If I made it again now, I would make it fit better into the theme of the OS.

I think you also did a good job at grouping the notification for each app in a simple way. Keep up the good work!

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think one thing should consider is instead of changing how information is presented in the Action Centre, you should offer an example of how actionable notifications (in the centre) would look.

For example, think of FB Messenger... If I get a message, up front it should look like it does now, but if I long-tap it, I could get a space to reply to it without fully opening the FB Msgr app. That's where your concept could work.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Your mockup looks very good! I agree that I probably should have stuck with a more black rectangular looking theme. But then again, I wanted to try some new things. The thing that bugs me a bit about the current action center is that it looks old-fashioned to me. If I made it again now, I would make it fit better into the theme of the OS.

I think you also did a good job at grouping the notification for each app in a simple way. Keep up the good work!

try circles maybe i some how would love round toggles dont even need the name of the toggle icons should be self explanatory

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I think one thing should consider is instead of changing how information is presented in the Action Centre, you should offer an example of how actionable notifications (in the centre) would look.

For example, think of FB Messenger... If I get a message, up front it should look like it does now, but if I long-tap it, I could get a space to reply to it without fully opening the FB Msgr app. That's where your concept could work.
will do ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes