Why I switched to Windows Phone

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I moved from a BlackBerry Curve 9300 to a Windows Phone device in May 2013. It was my first Windows Phone I have ever had, and it was a Huawei Ascend W1.

The reason I got a Windows Phone was to explore and experience a different kind of mobile platform other than BlackBerry, iOS or Android.
The live tiles is what caught my attention to Windows Phone in the first place!
My Huawei came with GDR1 WP8.0 and earlier this year, I updated it to Windows Phone 8.1 through Preview for Developers.

May 2014, I purchased my first Nokia, the Lumia 635 in bright orange. The reason to keep with the Windows Phone ecosystem was the whole new perspective of what a mobile OS should be, with live tiles to keep updated and with every phone getting up to date features!

Before coming over to Windows Phone, I was warned about the app gap. This did not stop me from moving to Windows Phone, I wanted a WP device for the new experience, and I love it!

I don't think I'll be moving over to Android, iOS or BlackBerry anytime soon, as I'm happy with Windows Phone and it's so called 'app gap'.

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Preach!! Good move young man, don't let the naysayers tell you otherwise.

I was just fed up of people talking about the so called "app gap" on the platform.
For me, that isn't such a problem! I don't even see why people have to be so over the top about it, Windows Phone is still relatively new but come on, we have Rudy Huyn making those 3rd party apps for us which are even better than the official ones!
People need to stop complaining about the apps!

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The apps are the biggest problem with WP? Just because there isn't an app gap for you personally doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I love Lumias and I love the look and feel of WP...I do however hate not having many of the apps I had on iOS and Android, I hate even more the fact the Facebook app etc on WP is terrible and lacking so many features of the other platforms versions. There IS an app gap, both in quantity and quality

Jim Bob4

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Gee..the lady doth protest too much. Everything is a trade off. I "hate" android for its clutter and lack of simplicity. Siri was a fad. Cortana has real potential. Facebook is becoming Facebloat anyway. ;)

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm loving me 520 ....after being with both android and ios! Apps are not THAT important, I found that after downloading hundreds of games and apps......i really only used them for a minute (waiting for a bus or having a ****) ...i get bored quickly , and then I owned a S3 ....yuk (just my opinion guys).
I'm upgrading this year to a 930 !
Please don't use the "app gap" excuse to avoid trying out a excellent, fresh, unique OS .....it just makes you look stupid.

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The apps are the biggest problem with WP? Just because there isn't an app gap for you personally doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I love Lumias and I love the look and feel of WP...I do however hate not having many of the apps I had on iOS and Android, I hate even more the fact the Facebook app etc on WP is terrible and lacking so many features of the other platforms versions. There IS an app gap, both in quantity and quality

I'm not saying that the app gap doesn't exist, but personally, I like the app selection that Windows Phone has at the moment! Yes, some of the apps could be better, but I am impressed with most of them, even the beta version of BBM (yes, I use it!). I agree that the Facebook app is bad, but I personally use Facebook Beta which is better than the official, non-beta app, but still, the non-beta does the job fine! :)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Always nice to read something from up-beat Windows phone users!
I'm more than pleased with my handhelds running the WP OS.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that would keep me from staying with Windows Phone is the app gap. I've been using my Lumia 822 as my go-to smartphone for about a month now and have no desire to go back to my BlackBerry Z30.

I love the design language of the WP OS and apps, and the Nokia hardware - although a bit bulky - is solid. Love the camera!

I do like many of the WP apps I have, especially the Nokia apps and a few exclusive apps like Disqus. But the most popular and best apps still hit iOS and Android first, and it's a crapshoot as to whether they come to WP or not.

The app situation on WP is definitely improving. And definitely better than BB10 (if I wanted to run Android apps I'd just get an Android phone).

I'll probably at least wait until WP 8.1 comes to my L822 before deciding whether to stick with it or go back to iPhone.
Posted from my Nokia Lumia 822 using Tapatalk

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Not all Android devices are cluttered. I have no idea why it's showing this picture twice either, it won't even let me edit the picture out : /

Attachments

• SDYbQir.jpg
    SDYbQir.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 10
  • yEUwQx6.jpg
    yEUwQx6.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 10

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the clutter statement as well. Let's face it folks, Live Tiles are not for everybody. At least the transparent tiles in 8.1 are some form of relief. Being an unrepentant webOS lover, I prefer 4 or 5 main icons with a nice wallpaper. BTW, those screenshots from Visa Declined are very nice. Is that a stock theme or downloaded?

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the clutter statement as well. Let's face it folks, Live Tiles are not for everybody. At least the transparent tiles in 8.1 are some form of relief. Being an unrepentant webOS lover, I prefer 4 or 5 main icons with a nice wallpaper. BTW, those screenshots from Visa Declined are very nice. Is that a stock theme or downloaded?

It's just Nova launcher, a couple of widgets and some icons from the Play store. Thank you for the compliment.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
LOL @ Android clutter.

Can't see why anyone can pick up a WP8 device and not like it. I was pleasantly surprised when I got mine.

Only thing stopping me from using it as a daily driver are 4 or 5 power apps I use. I would love to be able to customize more, but could live without that if I had the productivity apps I need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett