Yahoo News Digest App

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
This is a little off topic, but since I switched to the HTC One (work related issues) I've been discovering a few non-WP apps that would be great to see in the store.

If you follow Android Central you might have seen the reviews, but Yahoo has recently released a handful of really high quality apps on iOS and Android. The weather app is particularly good as is the News Digest app, which this post is about.

The News Digest app is great. Curated news content updated twice a day with lots of great added contextual information. Little bit of gamification. Pretty and image rich. It's basically v1, so I expect the customization options and complementary info to get better. I love that I can get in and out quickly and that theres a sense of completion when I finish the stories for the morning/afternoon. Feels more like a daily news tabloid than a wrapper on a website or a endless news reader feed.

The point is two fold, I'd love to see Yahoo put these apps out on windows phone, even if it's not fully metroified. And I think MS should come up with something similar for Bing. It's similar to Bing news and could be a feature of Cortana but I think there's real value in the focus and the low barrier to entry that the Yahoo app delivers, I.e. no need to set up preferences, no need to build up digital habits.

If you have time check out the story over on Android Central or check it out on your non-WP device if you have one.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
This.

If they were interested in WP8 platform, I think they would've updated Flickr long time back.

Maybe, but this app is much less complicated and if Yahoo is focused on pushing content vs services the calculus could be different.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb