One of the things that I don't understand is how Microsoft can tote a "unified OS" such as WP8 and Windows 8 while breaking the unity we had on Windows Mobile 6.5 and Windows 7. Does anyone remember SMS Sender? It allowed you to send/receive sms messages from your phone on your desktop (provided your phone was connected)

Now that Apple has just announced its iOS 8 and Yosemite ability to do this, friends of mine are saying, "See! Apple invents important things that Microsoft is falling behind in" EXCEPT THAT WINDOWS MOBILE USED TO HAVE THIS FEATURE! Not to mention the recently acquired Nokia mobile used to have this feature in Nokia Center.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Lumia and Surface Pro 3. But I guess the bigger a company gets, the longer it takes for things to get done.

Anyways, here is my concept for the feature that should've been included in the 8.1 update but wasn't.

sms-received-toast.png
    This is what it would look like to receive a text message when your phone is connected

sms-reply-toast.png
    This is the behavior of tapping the toast notification.

The send button is send
    The attach button is attach (Photo, video, POI, voice note, etc.)
    The contact list button brings you into the windows phone 8 app to see the whole thread and contact info etc.

sms-call-toast.png
    This is a concept for the call notification

What do you think?
    Maonsie and kobusaf like this.
    08-05-2014 03:45 PM
    I think most mobiles since the late 90s could do this - not just smart phones but mobiles in general. But does anyone really want it? Android has done notifications using Chrome on the PC for a while, but I've disabled it as it's quite annoying (in my possibly non-representative opinion) and I can already see and hear if my phone wants to tell me something.
    08-05-2014 04:18 PM
    This actually would be able to send and receive messages as long as your phone was on the same WiFi/Bluetooth Network. Not a huge feature but as someone who works from home and is typing on my beautiful keyboard all day, it is much nicer to be able to respond on the bigger screen and bigger keyboard.

Also, when I'm on my business phone in a conference call and someone is trying to call/text me on my cell and I cant find my phone to silence it; that is when I really miss this feature.
    08-05-2014 05:08 PM
    I want this!
    08-20-2014 03:26 AM
    There was a messaging app when windows 8 first came out and would connect to your Skype, fb, n stuff but not SMS. Anyway it was so broken they took it off. Plus it didn't matter to much. I realm do want something like that though
    08-24-2014 11:39 PM
    08-27-2014 10:59 AM