Why I left iPhone for windows phone.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
*watches OneDrive syncing fill his phone with invisible Other Storage*

Yeah, not convinced this should be in the Pro column just yet...

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
There are still several ways in which the iPhone specifically IOS beats windows phone

1. Facetime integration - Facetime is seamlessly integrated into the OS much like Skype should have been for windows phone.

2. iMessage - Again owning both Groupme and Skype it baffles me how Microsoft had not added an equivalent of iMessage to Windows Phone.

3. APPS - Yes there are still missing key apps from the windows phone store and yes many of them dont get updated as much as their IOS counterparts. Just look at Vine and Instagram who released their apps 9 months ago to never update them again. Were still missing apps such as snapchat, amazon instant video, amazon music, the google apps, scottrade, etc etc. The list goes on

4. Fluidity throughout the OS and Key apps. For the most part windows phone is very fluid, but if you compare stocks apps such as the camera app and music app you will notice some key downfalls. I love the camera on my icon but it often takes longer to initialize the camera and longer to take the actual photo. While i am enjoying Xbox music for the most part, there are still several glitches and the cloud collection portion isa very messy implementation that can leave you with several duplicate songs.

Why does everyone feel the need to defend other platforms? The OP was simply stating his observations. He wasn't asking anyone their opinion nor how to fix anything. He was just stating his experiences.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I agree, it's okay to point out your observations but why is it every reply is a retort to someone else's? I think this, no you're wrong this is what you think! This platform is better in these ways, no the point you made here is completely wrong and is better in THIS platform! We don't help Microsoft or get anywhere by contradicting each other.

WP7Nettwerk

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I love Windows Phone since day one 2010 if I'm correct. You will never see same start screen with live tiles. This what makes me different.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Skype on 3G is a laugh here in Europe. It's with lag and unreliable. Talking about 14mbps 3G data line.

Why does everyone feel the need to defend other platforms? The OP was simply stating his observations. He wasn't asking anyone their opinion nor how to fix anything. He was just stating his experiences.

It's called a discussion. We don't really defend we just name favors. If we wouldn't then close this thread.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Isn't HERE Drive that, downloading maps to your phone? I'm not certain because I haven't used it myself but I'm pretty sure that was the point of HERE Drive.

HERE Drive allows you full offline maps but if you don't download the map, it uses data just like Google Maps and Apple's Map software service.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Isn't HERE Drive that, downloading maps to your phone? I'm not certain because I haven't used it myself but I'm pretty sure that was the point of HERE Drive.

HERE Drive allows you full offline maps but if you don't download the map, it uses data just like Google Maps and Apple's Map software service.

The advantage being that you can get very excellent turn by turn nav even if you have no cellular data or don't want to burn it.

I have downloaded 11 state maps and all of Italy. Total size on device: 1.57GB. This is a significant portion of the United States and one other entire country. (Visiting Italy in October and will be in 4 regions so I just got the whole country... Can't wait for the trip or to use my phone for walking Nav while there.) This may be overkill as I have the state where I live, plus every bordering state, plus the state where I was born, plus two other states I might possibly have to drive through in case I journey back to the state where I was born.

Certainly you do not have to download any maps to have Here Drive work. It is recommended that you download the area you travel in regularly. My home state is only 167.1MB. The Veneto region of Italy is only about 46MB...

hotmilkgt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Windows Phone 7 and Windows Mobile 6 since they came out.
And somewhere in between I've had the iPhone 3G as well as Android 2.3, 4.1.
For me, it ultimately comes down to what I'm using the phone for and that will dictate what phone I get.
The 1020 has been great since day one but all those megapixel is not going to help much when the camera can't focus fast enough and I miss the shot. Having Waze only in portrait mode is just not acceptable. WP8.1 has been great and I love the UI and the live tiles for WP.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Windows Phone 7 and Windows Mobile 6 since they came out.
And somewhere in between I've had the iPhone 3G as well as Android 2.3, 4.1.
For me, it ultimately comes down to what I'm using the phone for and that will dictate what phone I get.
The 1020 has been great since day one but all those megapixel is not going to help much when the camera can't focus fast enough and I miss the shot. Having Waze only in portrait mode is just not acceptable. WP8.1 has been great and I love the UI and the live tiles for WP.

Psst use Microsoft camera for fast shot to shot times, however pics are only in 5mp.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Use bing, then after you get 100 points trade it for 100gigs of cloud space. Good for 1 year

Indeed if you have a Office 365 subscription you get 1 TB (ya 1000 Gigs).... But if the iCloud is not your thing:

wp_ss_20140808_0001.jpg

Space local to the phone is not an issue.... :cool: yeap, it is the high end....

~ScottGeek.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering. 158GB, but the upload and download speed is horrible. Plus I can't upload files bigger than 2GB. Without turning this into the OneDrive discussion it's useless in my mind.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering. 158GB, but the upload and download speed is horrible. Plus I can't upload files bigger than 2GB. Without turning this into the OneDrive discussion it's useless in my mind.

Well not to dip the iPhone thread into a talk about Onedrive, you're doing the upload/download from your phone? If yes then speed is relative to if you are going over wifi or the cell phone... sounds like you're going through the cell phone with a data limit set. If you make sure you are connected to wifi and set uploads/downloads to use wifi only speed should improve. Anyway something to check for. Lots of how-to's out there to show you how to set this up. More than likely it's not OneDrive.

~ScottGeek.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
That's not the case. Windows 7 Enterprise on University of Delft wired connection. But its fine lets go back to pro and cons of the iOS and WP discussion.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Battery Saver doesn't do anything until the battery drops to 10% (default, you can change it.) At that time it shuts off what it thinks are non-essential functions.
I do not understand why this hasn't sunk into the heads of the WP community.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
OMG you just taught me something. Didn't think we had reader. Even more in love.

Just look for the book icon on the address bar :p, works a charm.

Also those who are saying that skype should be built-in to Windows Phone, you have seriously missed the boat. That will not happen - why you ask?

If they have decoupled:
1) xbox music- to make updating easier otherwise it would need an O/S level update
2) xbox video - as above
3) games hub - as above
4) social integration from the people hub - back end changes made by the social websites used to create all sorts of issues.

Sure IOS is polished if you live in a apple ecosystem it all work's flawlessly together but try to leave the closed garden, you may encounter obstacles. Also try setting up a simple LAN printer (say an epson) on the ipad :winktongue:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes