Windows 10 concept! What do you wanna see?

Motel75

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows 9 concept! What do you wanna see?

Looks fantastic. I've had several ideas about W9, perhaps they can inspire you:

How about putting the Charms (except for the Windows button) in a row at the bottom of the Start menu?
How about a toggle on the Start menu (such as a right-arrow in a circle) that will allow users to expand to the full Start Screen? (At present it looks like an either/or choice depending on your Preferences setting.)
How about updating the Taskbar so that it would work well and always be displayed in both desktop and Start Screen modes, if the user chooses this? It needs an updated, Modern-looking appearance, esp. the clock, and a fixed, scalable size so it doesn't get tiny on a large monitor. It could serve as a quick-launch bar and a unifying force in both environments.
And I love the idea someone suggested that every icon could be a Live Tile, no matter if it's on the desktop or pinned somewhere - if you can figure out a way to make this work, I'd love to see it!

Avik Biswas

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

nope action center is for phones meaning it has toggles to turn stuff on an off AKA actions ... windows does not really need quick toggles

no, i mean the action centre on pc, look at the images bellow,
Capture.PNG

i mean since we have a notification centre, microsoft could merge this with action centre!

Avik Biswas

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

like Cortana design and hope to see notification center will be implemented in the same way. One more thing, modern apps icon in taskbar look better this way than of current implantation(with tile layer as a background)

I have another cortana design almost ready, this design is kind of outdated, will post the new one soon.

Avik Biswas

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

Looks fantastic. I've had several ideas about W9, perhaps they can inspire you:

How about putting the Charms (except for the Windows button) in a row at the bottom of the Start menu?
How about a toggle on the Start menu (such as a right-arrow in a circle) that will allow users to expand to the full Start Screen? (At present it looks like an either/or choice depending on your Preferences setting.)
How about updating the Taskbar so that it would work well and always be displayed in both desktop and Start Screen modes, if the user chooses this? It needs an updated, Modern-looking appearance, esp. the clock, and a fixed, scalable size so it doesn't get tiny on a large monitor. It could serve as a quick-launch bar and a unifying force in both environments.
And I love the idea someone suggested that every icon could be a Live Tile, no matter if it's on the desktop or pinned somewhere - if you can figure out a way to make this work, I'd love to see it!

Thanks,
i already tried putting the charms as you said, but they just took almost 2-3 app icon space, since not everyone appreciate the charms bar, i already implemented it in system tray icon(right-bottom corner), so user can choose to use or not.

as for the start screen, thanks for the idea, i am actually thinking about this and currently designing it, will post soon.

don't worry start screen wont cover taskbar, taskbar will be always displayed, unless user choose not to.

if you are talking about clock on the desktop as a widget, yup it is responsive and simply resize to screen wideness and resolution.

yeah, that is the main idea behind the design, and btw this is a concept design, it depends on msft to actually listen to us and implement it.

Avik Biswas

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

after watching apples itunes design, specially the song list dropdown, i think our xbox music should also have this thing!

windows concept music library drop.jpg

Check out the first page, i have updated the post with new designs

aerosidinc

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

can you do a similar mock-up of notification(also imo it would be better if they merge notification center and system tray). Hope Microsoft will have similar implementation of drop shadows throughout the OS. IMO it doesn't affect minimalism that MS is claiming.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site

i would rather a very subtle drop shadow for the active windows and then a ll inactive could be 5% - 10% less opaque.
in essence in active is transparent a bit but active has full visibility and a slight drop shadow try that maybe i wanna see how it looks lol.

Avik Biswas

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

ok, so i have been watching Brandon Tobias's design and ms's design. what i found is that there is no way to sort notification, or any integration of all windows notification like update and action centre, maintenance notifications, so i have designed one, there is still some work to do, but this is the notification centre i would love to see in windows 9, what do you guys think!!

windows concept notify.jpg

Avik Biswas

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

it would be better if they merge notification center and system tray

nice suggestion, i am exploring the possibilities right now, i don't know if it would be the best idea right now, i will try to add this, but don't expect any-time soon!

Hope Microsoft will have similar implementation of drop shadows throughout the OS. IMO it doesn't affect minimalism that MS is claiming.

yup, i hope too, as of now windows 8.1 has no drop shadows, windows 7 has too much concentrated shadow, but lets hope they bring shadows back :)

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site

ok, so i have been watching Brandon Tobias's design and ms's design. what i found is that there is no way to sort notification, or any integration of all windows notification like update and action centre, maintenance notifications, so i have designed one, there is still some work to do, but this is the notification centre i would love to see in windows 9, what do you guys think!!

View attachment 81136

actually the MS windows notification center has all that it just mixes it up and i didn't do it in mine nice work.
for mine i was thinking of a divider so regular notifications then a divider with the words system next to it would have system notifications and the same for updates kinda yours is cool to it tabs it off instead of having at as one pane .....

well done

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Your updated designs are fantastic! If Windows 9 is like this I'll be thrilled. The desktop needs an overhaul like this.

Things I like:

Start menu - it is a perfect blend of old and new. I love how it fills the screen vertically. Gives it a cleaner look.

Cortana integration - it literally looks like the phone version and this is a good thing. Great placement.

Icon overhaul - all the desktop icons in Windows 8 don't feel like they belong. The changes are needed and much appreciated.

Color Scheme - the colors are simple, clean, and modern. The colors also make the overall ui feel cohesive. Accent color implementation is very good.

Other good stuff:
- Notification center
- Desktop tile widgets
- Taskbar
- Xbox music UI

One thing I didn't like:

Control panel - I think this should be combined with the settings and shouldn't look so "kiddy".

Overall, awesome job!

Avik Biswas

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

Your updated designs are fantastic! If Windows 9 is like this I'll be thrilled. The desktop needs an overhaul like this.

Things I like:

Start menu - it is a perfect blend of old and new. I love how it fills the screen vertically. Gives it a cleaner look.
Have another design in mind, will post soon :)

Cortana integration - it literally looks like the phone version and this is a good thing. Great placement.

it is kinda same with the phone version. already a new design is ready, some minor fixes and polish and i will upload it!

Icon overhaul - all the desktop icons in Windows 8 don't feel like they belong. The changes are needed and much appreciated.

Color Scheme - the colors are simple, clean, and modern. The colors also make the overall ui feel cohesive. Accent color implementation is very good.

Other good stuff:
- Notification center
- Desktop tile widgets
- Taskbar
- Xbox music UI

Thanks.

One thing I didn't like:

Control panel - I think this should be combined with the settings and shouldn't look so "kiddy".

Overall, awesome job!

I tried to make the control panel a bit simpler, i found the windows 7 control panel a bit hard to find the things i am looking for!, in windows 8.1, there is two control panel, oner for desktop another for metro, the worst nightmare for windows user! This design was to make the control panel unified, but i guess, you guys need a bit advance control panel.

I am open for any suggestion, so what kind of things you guys want to see in the new control panel design!!

Avik Biswas

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 81191

catered for updates and system level notifications ... kinda

i like the skype notification system, i would probably add this later!

as for the rest of the design, i would go for the tabbed design. few problem with your design i faced is:

since you categorized all your notifications, if the user have too many notification on any category, they have to scroll bellow to see the other ones.
and also, it does not show how many notification each category has, in a glance!

LOL, i can still see the action centre on your desktop! :p

nice design! BTW!

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site

i like the skype notification system, i would probably add this later!

as for the rest of the design, i would go for the tabbed design. few problem with your design i faced is:

since you categorized all your notifications, if the user have too many notification on any category, they have to scroll bellow to see the other ones.
and also, it does not show how many notification each category has, in a glance!

LOL, i can still see the action centre on your desktop! :p

nice design! BTW!

actually its collapse able so when its collapse you will see the word system with a little number indication how many notifications there .....
but i understand ...

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site

did the transparent effect on the window that has no focus
the focused window has the drop shadow i made it a bit strong
my take on windows UI flat but kinda unfinished the office look always looked good too me may add a dash of colour
the accent colour here is blue btw

desktop 2.1.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750