Limitations of Android, IOS and other devices as compared to WP, and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
As the title says it all, feel free to discuss and argue over the limitations of each OS, the strengths and weaknesses right here, without the Gestapo mods closing the other threads lol(no offense :)

Limitations of Android as compared to WP-

I find many glaring flaws in Android-
No official file manager.(Nexus, and some other phones).

No moving apps to SD. (This was in 2.3, why did Google remove it? Are they crazy?) Also you can't uninstall system apps.

Apps don't close. If you press the back button, the app exits, but keeps running in the background. You have to go to settings and close the app.WTH?

Lag is present eventually, if not immediately(Samsung= king of lag. Yes, even nexus too. I've not reset my 620 since I bought it last June, and it is smoother than my cousin's year old nexus 5 bought last year, which I'm using right now. Project butter, and now Volta, how long will they keep promising, lets see...)

My biggest gripe- No updates. (except for nexus, name a brand that updates both it's budget and high-end phones for greater than 2 years. None.)

Security is lax. Need to install an anti virus. (Search 🔍 for antivirus on WP. No result). Open source= open to viruses.

No advanced camera settings. Show me an app that can do manual focus, like Nokia camera.

Phone gets heated when using 3g. (Of the 7 phones I've tested, all of them have this problem. Not my 620. Why?

Low, laggy performance on budget devices, unlike WP. Why? Seven years and they couldn't solve this problem.

Lack of a camera button. Even devices with a camera button are not so functional with it as compared to WP. The Lumia 930 will take a picture faster than a nexus 5, when both of them are locked, password protection on.

Piracy is possible easily on Android. (In India, very few pay for apps on Android. For example, my friend sees that asphalt 7 is paid on his phone. What does he do? He searches - asphalt 7.apk download, and installs for free. Developers earnings depend upon these purchases. Why does Google do this?)

No default call+SMS filter built in, have to install an app for that.

No carrier billing.

IRCTC and NTES apps are not available. Heck, you can't book train tickets with your Android device. WTH? My WP can do this.

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Applications on both iOS and Windows Phone can't draw over other apps, or perform actions through lock screen.

This means that you can't have a good "AppLock" type of application that can individually secure any one of your apps.

Also there are apps, like Snapshot that allow you to quickly open the camera by rotating the phone to landscape and unlocking it, the Windows Phone API doesn't support this, yet.

Moving on to save your power button from wear and tear there is an app called Pocketlock that automatically locks and unlocks your phone when it's in your pocket or in your hand.

Apps like Facebook Messenger have these "chatheads" which allow you to chat from any app, basically allowing you to chat from your homescreen, app or game without even opening the Facebook Messenger app, this is very useful but can be turned off if you find it annoying.

Apps like Hotspot Shield(VPN) can be totally free on Android and show ads instead when you are using it, this isn't possible on Windows Phone and there are no free VPN apps to speak of.

The greater majority of games are supported by 512 MB RAM Android phones but games aren't simply there on 512 MB Windows Phones, or are badly optimized(like Subway Surfers).

You would expect Microsoft's own apps to be the best on Windows Phone, right? They aren't, just check out Skype. The version of Skype on Android isn't as beautiful but is much much faster.

Windows Phone doesn't support Webkit based browsers, no Chrome or Kik because of this.

The gallery app doesn't show images at their full resolution, it shows scaled down versions usually at 2048 x 2048 or less, you need apps like HD Photo Viewer or ZOOM to fix this.

You can't download/recieve PDFs properly, they are always stored on your internal storage instead of SD Card, especially if you receive them via Bluetooth.

NFC Tap to beam doesn't seem to be available(I could be wrong)

Applications can't do much in the background and are useless unless you keep the apps open, like Whatsapp or wpTorrent.

Applications aren't there or are very very behind the Android/iOS counterparts, for example Facebook, Instagram, 9GAG.

Should I go on? I don't hate Windows Phone but all these issues make it much less enjoyable than Android(for me, at least.)

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Moving on to Windows Phone benefits.

Windows Phone provides a balance between simplicity and customization.

Windows Phone is more aesthetically pleasing to some people, it depends on your choice but I find Windows Phone quite beautiful as well.

Camera apps available on Windows Phone are unmatched, especially ProShot and Nokia Camera.

I really love some of the Windows Phone animations, and daaamn those folders in Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 are soo beautiful(especially the animations).

There are certain apps that look better than the Android counterparts, such as Skype or WPCentral.

While apps can't work in the background like Android, they can run under the lock screen, for example wpTorrent can do this. This is nice. 👍

I could probably list more.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
One important limitation of Android is
OS Updates.

Other than Nexus family no Android device can match speed & longer support of WP.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
One important limitation of Android is
OS Updates.

Other than Nexus family no Android device can match speed & longer support of WP.

That's not a limitation of Android, it's a problem of the OEMs.

Android continues to provide support for older kernels(unlike Windows) so phones that get enough developer support they get continued Android versions.

Windows Phone doesn't have the best record with updates either.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Regarding OS updates-quoting this post from another thread as it received many likes, and also for the benefit of those browsing through this thread for the first time-

Android-Galaxy s3(American),s2, HTC one x,x+, Samsung galaxy nexus don't get kitkat. Neither do any budget Android devices get any OS update.
Apple- iPhone 4 won't get ios8, and already lacks features in the OS updates like Siri, etc. And I doubt iPhone 4s will get the ios 8 update.
Blackberry-bb7 devices don't get updates to bb10. And bb7 devices are still being sold.
Symbian-OS updates abandoned by Nokia, Sony Ericsson.
WebOS-abandoned by hp.

My 620 is a 2012 phone, and has got cyan+8.1+ update 1+ Cortana alpha, in 2014, 2 years later. Same for the 920,820,etc. And WP 7 devices were started in 2010, and received their last update in 2013. That is pretty darn good as compared to the other OSes,a support of 3 years. Including budget phones. My 620 is supported until 2017. What more could I want? I've got more updates than I paid for, keeping in mind that this is a budget device. Thanks Microsoft, is all I can say. :)

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
That's not a limitation of Android, it's a problem of the OEMs.

Android continues to provide support for older kernels(unlike Windows) so phones that get enough developer support they get continued Android versions.

Windows Phone doesn't have the best record with updates either.
What about budget devices? None of the Android devices get updates, unlike WP. HTC 8s is one exception, but I can point out hundreds, perhaps thousands of exceptions on budget Android phones.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
@Salman Ahmed

Regarding app lock-who needs app lock when you have apps corner? Apps corner is,I feel,a much better built in application. You only select those stopped which you want someone to access, the rest are hidden. You can leave your phone on apps corner let someone freely use your phone. To access your own account, you have to press the power button and enter your password to access your apps. Plus you can disable the camera button, power button, Windows button, search, back, action centre, etc, which you can't do on Android. You have to install 3 separate applications on Android to get all the features I mentioned above, and even then you won't get all of them. Plus you have to allow a third party app have access to your dialer, contacts and internet, plus there are these ads and notifications too.

P.S. I searched for app lock in the WP store, and the app is present, along with the same functionality as on Android. So you have both options on WP-to allow/not allow a third party app/company in your quest for securing your phone.

I prefer the camera button. What's the point of rotating the phone and unlocking it to open the camera? I simply press the camera button, even when the phone is locked and password protected, and take a picture. I took a picture without even touching the screen, faster than any Android/iPhone. You can't do that on Android.

Windows phones automatically torn on the screen when you take them out of your pocket to view a message, notification or missed call. You don't need a third party app for that.

Chatheads is a useful feature, and I admit I would like to see Facebook implement that in WP and ios.

What's wrong with VPN on WP 8.1 update 1? You also have the cisco vpn app.

I don't know what you are talking about. I use Skype extensively, and the design is much more aesthetic as compared to Android, and I've had no performance issues so far. Kindly elaborate on why Skype is better on Android than WP? I see no issues on the WP app.

Webkit is the new IE6. Many would prefer HTML5, which is the current standard that IE 11 supports.

PDF's are stored in the SD card. The limitation was removed in 8.1.

Nfc tap to beam has been available since the WP 7 days, what are you talking about?

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Many apps are not released for 512mb ram phones on Android, and the few that are run very badly. Also, people pirate the unsupported app by sideloading it. That is a huge issue. Also, asphalt 8 on a 512mb WP runs better than on a512 Mb Android phone.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Regarding OS updates-quoting this post from another thread as it received many likes, and also for the benefit of those browsing through this thread for the first time-

Android-Galaxy s3(American),s2, HTC one x,x+, Samsung galaxy nexus don't get kitkat. Neither do any budget Android devices get any OS update.
Apple- iPhone 4 won't get ios8, and already lacks features in the OS updates like Siri, etc. And I doubt iPhone 4s will get the ios 8 update.
Blackberry-bb7 devices don't get updates to bb10. And bb7 devices are still being sold.
Symbian-OS updates abandoned by Nokia, Sony Ericsson.
WebOS-abandoned by hp.

My 620 is a 2012 phone, and has got cyan+8.1+ update 1+ Cortana alpha, in 2014, 2 years later. Same for the 920,820,etc. And WP 7 devices were started in 2010, and received their last update in 2013. That is pretty darn good as compared to the other OSes,a support of 3 years. Including budget phones. My 620 is supported until 2017. What more could I want? I've got more updates than I paid for, keeping in mind that this is a budget device. Thanks Microsoft, is all I can say. :)

You can't hate on Apple, they gave updates to a single core device for over 3 years, maybe Siri isn't supported but it at least got the update, unlike all single core Windows Phone devices.

Plus it's not like you get "all the features" you didn't even get a brightness slider in Lumia Cyan, that's such a basic feature! You also didn't get continuous focus either. So you don't get updates either.

iPhone 4S is getting iOS 8, Apple has already confirmed this.

Moto E and G get updates and other than that depending on what device you get you can also get very amazing developer support, I used to have an HTC Explorer which launched with Android 2.3 but is running stable Android 4.4 due to the developers.

I don't give a **** about Blackberry and WebOS and Symbian.

S3 did get KitKat depending on what version you had, S2 got 4.1 and HTC had to abandon support for One X because the brand doesn't have a whole lot of money to support R&D for older products. But you can update it via Cyanogenmod Installer to Android 4.4 KitKat, it's pretty easy.

Your 620 isn't supported till 2017, Windows Phone 8 security patches are supported till then. This is no guarantee that your device will get updates till 2017.

What about budget devices? None of the Android devices get updates, unlike WP. HTC 8s is one exception, but I can point out hundreds, perhaps thousands of exceptions on budget Android phones.

Moto E and Moto G, I rest my case. You can name hundreds of devices because more OEMs produce Android than Windows Phone, a lot more.

@Salman Ahmed

Regarding app lock-who needs app lock when you have apps corner? Apps corner is,I feel,a much better built in application. You only select those stopped which you want someone to access, the rest are hidden. You can leave your phone on apps corner let someone freely use your phone. To access your own account, you have to press the power button and enter your password to access your apps. Plus you can disable the camera button, power button, Windows button, search, back, action centre, etc, which you can't do on Android. You have to install 3 separate applications on Android to get all the features I mentioned above, and even then you won't get all of them. Plus you have to allow a third party app have access to your dialer, contacts and internet, plus there are these ads and notifications too.

P.S. I searched for app lock in the WP store, and the app is present, along with the same functionality as on Android. So you have both options on WP-to allow/not allow a third party app/company in your quest for securing your phone.

I prefer the camera button. What's the point of rotating the phone and unlocking it to open the camera? I simply press the camera button, even when the phone is locked and password protected, and take a picture. I took a picture without even touching the screen, faster than any Android/iPhone. You can't do that on Android.

Windows phones automatically torn on the screen when you take them out of your pocket to view a message, notification or missed call. You don't need a third party app for that.

Chatheads is a useful feature, and I admit I would like to see Facebook implement that in WP and ios.

What's wrong with VPN on WP 8.1 update 1? You also have the cisco vpn app.

I don't know what you are talking about. I use Skype extensively, and the design is much more aesthetic as compared to Android, and I've had no performance issues so far. Kindly elaborate on why Skype is better on Android than WP? I see no issues on the WP app.

Webkit is the new IE6. Many would prefer HTML5, which is the current standard that IE 11 supports.

PDF's are stored in the SD card. The limitation was removed in 8.1.

Nfc tap to beam has been available since the WP 7 days, what are you talking about?

AppLock for Windows Phone is a fail, go try it out. If you go to the app tray you can still open it.

Apps Corner is a nice idea but multi user profiles are also coming in Android L, so the same functionality is available.

Android devices also turn the screen on, vibrate or blink the LED light when you get a notification. Windows Phone can't support LED lights yet and does not have a good replacement for Pocketlock.

Android app is much faster than the crashy and slow Skype app, trust me. The Android app however does take a significant time to launch but is very smooth afterwards.

I didn't know about the NFC thing, is it exactly the same as the Android version? Where you can beam pretty much everything? From web pages, to YouTube videos, support for NFC tags. If Windows Phone can do all that, I'm impressed.

Android phones do have shutter buttons, not all of them do but neither do all Windows Phones. But with that taken into account Windows Phones are much slower at taking photos than most leading Android/iOS smartphones. Especially if you use Nokia Camera.

There is no competition between speed, Android flagship devices hands down beat all Windows Phones. Phones like the Galaxy S5 and LG G3 have dedicated sensors for fast focusing, they can achieve focus within 278-300 ms, wheras even if you have a shutter button on your Windows Phones they take much longer to focus, your Windows Phone probably even start the camera by the time a G3 has captured the amazing moment you are trying to capture.

Windows Phones have very amazing camera sensors but lack the speed to call themselves the best cameraphones on the market.

Many apps are not released for 512mb ram phones on Android, and the few that are run very badly. Also, people pirate the unsupported app by sideloading it. That is a huge issue. Also, asphalt 8 on a 512mb WP runs better than on a512 Mb Android phone.

I sideloaded Subway Surfers and Temple Run 2 on my Lumia 520 before they had official 512 MB RAM versions.

That's because Asphalt 8 on Windows Phone resembles a PS2 game, very terrible graphics and effects compared to the Android version.

Actually most 3D games don't support the same graphical effects as the Android counterparts, another problem of Windows Phone.

Please elaborate on how the Facebook app is better in Android than WP?

I can comment on photos with a photo, I can view photo comments, scrolling is much faster(albeit stuttery at times). I can message people and pages that aren't in my friends list, I can manage the pages I am an admin in. It has better integration with Fb messenger, I don't have to open Fb messenger I can simply pop open a chathead.

Oh and chatheads won't ever appear in Windows Phones or iOS outside the app unless the API is changed and allows drawing over other apps.

The functionality of Android is unparalleled, the user experience is debatable.

Last edited by a moderator:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The only limitation of android is that apps with widgets can't be stored in the sd card unless you root your phone. It can do literally anything apart from that.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
You know that they are still selling iPhone 4, right? That gives them no right to remove support for it. Samsung focus and dell venue pro are older than iPhone 4. Both got 7.8 in 2013. Difference is-both the WP stopped production 3 years ago, the iPhone didn't.

I don't need a **** brightness slider, I have an ambient light sensor that is far better. And this is the reason why older Lumias didn't get it, they already have an ambient light sensor.

Continuous autofocus is not present in all Android devices so how can your expect the same from WP?

Answer this question-Can my 75 year old grandfather custom root, flash and download firmware from xda just to update his device? No. But he doesn't have to do anything on his Lumia 520, which updates itself automatically, and will be supported until 2017.

Show me proof that my device won't be supported until 2017. MS has already committed to this and said that the kernel difference can't happen again, even if wished too. And they cant afford to lose their current market share and start from 0% again by not supporting the Lumia 520. If you have any significant proof/as to why this won't happen, please share it with us.

I don't need notification led, I have glance which is far better, and also shows the time, unlike a notification led. The HTC one m8 for Windows also sports a dot view case. With such better solutions, who needs notification leds like those old blackberries?

I've used the Android app, and the WP one feels and performs much better, but that is just me. Others may have a different opinion.

Yes, it can do all the above things along with nfc tags.

Take two phones. Nokia Lumia 1520 and galaxy note 3. Both of them are password protected, screen is off.
To take a picture with the note,
1)I have to hit the power button,
2)type in my password,
3)press enter, the phone gets unlocked,
4)then I tap on the camera application, it opens the camera and
5) I tap the button,it focuses, and takes a picture.

With the 1520,
1)I press the camera button, the app opens
2) I press the camera button again, it focuses and takes the pic, without me touching the screen. Tell me honestly, Which is faster?
Even if you use the lock screen shortcut in Android, you have to type your password.

It doesn't look like Android, but isn't as bad as ps2. However asphalt 7 runs perfectly fine and on par, if not above the Android version, in terms of graphics and performance. So, if asphalt 7 runs so well, why shouldn't asphalt8? Gameloft is responsible here, not ms. How can you say that WP doesn't support advanced graphics? I think DirectX 11 is better than open gl.

Edit-just tested a Lumia 920 with asphalt 8, graphics same as Android, performance even smoother. The extra ram makes a difference. However,asphalt 7 looks the same on Android, Lumia 620 and 920. At least the Lumia 620 runs asphalt 8 smoothly, unlike the androids counterpart where it lags with the same specs. It's gamelofts fault here.

Quote from another thread, for new people reading this thread.

Win 8.1 devices can be upgraded. WP7 devices were not able to be upgraded, because the hardware was designed to work with Windows CE. WP8 was written to use Windows NT, which is how desktop Windows is designed. For the foreseeable future, all WP versions will be the NT version.

Last edited by a moderator:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Why you bring " I " word S Vaibhav.

You don't need brightness slider but I really love to have.

You don't know how to do conversation or discussion. No offense.

Because you use I word to counter salmanahmad points.
He could say same he don't give crap to Siri.
Then does that make your point invalid.
No

Same where you use I word that I don't need it or I don't give crap to this. You loses the conversation their.

Be little polite and don't use I word.
Keep in mind that it's about WP not about you.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Why you bring " I " word S Vaibhav.

You don't need brightness slider but I really love to have.

You don't know how to do conversation or discussion. No offense.

Because you use I word to counter salmanahmad points.
He could say same he don't give crap to Siri.
Then does that make your point invalid.
No

Same where you use I word that I don't need it or I don't give crap to this. You loses the conversation their.

Be little polite and don't use I word.
Keep in mind that it's about WP not about you.
I'm sorry,I don't get you?! The **** meant sh#t, not anything else. Besides, he mentioned it first. Let me quote his previous statement-
Quote by salmanahmed
"I don't give a **** about blackberry, Symbian and webos"

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry,I don't get you?! The **** meant sh#t, not anything else. Besides, he mentioned it first. Let me quote his previous statement-
Quote by salmanahmed
"I don't give a **** about blackberry, Symbian and webos"

And their he loses but
If you count yours "I" you losses more than him

in this types conversation using I word represents that you don't have any answer to counter that point

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
And their he loses but
If you count yours "I" you losses more than him

in this types conversation using I word represents that you don't have any answer to counter that point
Still don't understand you? When did I say this mysterious 'I' word? Please quote it from any of my comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99