41 Megapixel Lumia with Snapdragon coming in early 2015

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Correction: The S4 processor was NOT capable of handling 41 MP. Nokia collaborated with Qualcomm and rewrote the chip's imaging part to make everything work.

When Snapdragon lists how many megapixels their chips can handle, the amount they usually mention is the amount of megapixels the SOC can comfortably handle.

The chip can handle more than what Snapdragon lists, snapdragon S4 handling a 41 MP sensor is proof of that.

But when I say "comfortably" I mean at almost zero shutter speed, the 1020's camera was slooow.

BilalSoomro17

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
41 Megapixel With Snapdragon 805 Coming in Early 2015? Maybe yes

When Snapdragon lists how many megapixels their chips can handle, the amount they usually mention is the amount of megapixels the SOC can comfortably handle.

The chip can handle more than what Snapdragon lists, snapdragon S4 handling a 41 MP sensor is proof of that.

But when I say "comfortably" I mean at almost zero shutter speed, the 1020's camera was slooow.
that's what Microsoft don't want again they want a fast 41 Megapixel Shooter

Last edited:

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Is this mere speculation? If so, please say smth like : "This is what I HOPE to see / I think it will be...."

This only misleads people ==

Yes, the title lifted my spirits...like many I've been hoping for news of a 1020 successor for some time. I open the thread and find no 1020 successor after all. A language error perhaps....probably the OP did not intend to mislead.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Actually, no. While people agree that the Lumia 1020 had a great camera sensor, many people don't think that it was the best cameraphone out there. Because a cameraphone experience isn't just based on how good the phone can zoom, it also depends on what features the camera has to offer and how fast it is.

The Verge declares the iPhone 5S as the best cameraphone out there, and rightfully so. It snaps photos lightning fast, it has slow-mo, better flash, HDR Auto, and much more natural colors than a 1020 does, not to mention the huge amount of people complaining about a yellow tint in their photos taken with the 1020..

iPhone had better Flash ? :evil: this just made me laugh. Your comparing xenon to LED xD
HDR auto ? 1020 and 808 have great dynamic range. HDR was'nt much issue, look at the pic attached
hdr.jpg

Natural colors i think, 1020 has good colors on it too.

I agree on slow shot to shot times, but their are people who are OK with it.
Yellow tint yes, but their are ways to deal with it if you know.

Overall you forgot about the camera interface introduced with the 1020 ? many OEMs have started to follow it recently, some company ripped it straight like Nokia.
Xenon flash is farr supirior than LED, any photographer can tell you about it.

If you feel 1020 was just about Zoom, our conversation just ends here. :shocked:

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
How about a Lumia 1030 with a Snapdragon 808 or Snapdragon 810 processor and 64 bit operating system ? It's not like it's out of the realm of possibility. It would cost a pretty penny, but it would be a flagship camera phone after all.

THIS !!!

Who knows they are already working on these Processors.
Nokia / MS were let down by the hardware they introduced with the WP 8 phones,were criticized being old.
But since WP 8.1 I think they will bring the best Hardware to the tables, can already see since the 1520 was launched.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
iPhone had better Flash ? :evil: this just made me laugh. Your comparing xenon to LED xD
HDR auto ? 1020 and 808 have great dynamic range. HDR was'nt much issue, look at the pic attached

Overall you forgot about the camera interface introduced with the 1020 ? many OEMs have started to follow it recently, some company ripped it straight like Nokia.

If you feel 1020 was just about Zoom, our conversation just ends here. :shocked:

So it's buggy and annoying for many users but that's okay because there are "ways to deal with it" (funny that you don't mention even one of these alleged ways...).

Nobody denies that the 1020 is pretty much the most powerful cameraphone ever. However, there are other things that matter. Because the 1020's camera is slow, it is unsuitable for spontaneous shots (e.g if you see something cool or if you have a kid). The iPhone 5S takes good pictures. And the 1020 takes even better ones, true. But a good-enough picture from an iPhone is better than no picture with a 1020.

Think of it this way, ignoring costs for a second. Nobody denies that a Ferrari is better than a Corolla. But take that Ferrari into traffic and you're as slow as the slowest car on the road. Or, would you use a Ferrari to go around the corner to get groceries? No, you wouldn't, and that doesn't make the Ferrari a bad car. Just that the Toyota is good enough for most people's purposes - reliable, fuel efficient and so on. Similarly, the iPhone 5S takes reliably fast snaps which aren't of course as good as those of the 1020, but they're good enough.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
So it's buggy and annoying for many users but that's okay because there are "ways to deal with it" (funny that you don't mention even one of these alleged ways...).

Nobody denies that the 1020 is pretty much the most powerful cameraphone ever. However, there are other things that matter. Because the 1020's camera is slow, it is unsuitable for spontaneous shots (e.g if you see something cool or if you have a kid). The iPhone 5S takes good pictures. And the 1020 takes even better ones, true. But a good-enough picture from an iPhone is better than no picture with a 1020.

Think of it this way, ignoring costs for a second. Nobody denies that a Ferrari is better than a Corolla. But take that Ferrari into traffic and you're as slow as the slowest car on the road. Or, would you use a Ferrari to go around the corner to get groceries? No, you wouldn't, and that doesn't make the Ferrari a bad car. Just that the Toyota is good enough for most people's purposes - reliable, fuel efficient and so on. Similarly, the iPhone 5S takes reliably fast snaps which aren't of course as good as those of the 1020, but they're good enough.

Your right bro...
McLaren was supposed to be the 1020 successor, was going to get it.
But Dreams were shattered, Hope MS/Nokia come with a bang for the 1020 successor.

Waiting for that now.

rQvsnaps

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I just had the "privilege" of borrowing an iphone 5s while my 1020 was sent in for repairs. While i agree the iphone 5s takes pictures fast, the quality of the picture is subpar to say the least. Boring, dull and noisy to say the least.

But FAST

Glad to have my 1020 back

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 78595

Those photos weren't taken on a tripod. But other than that, the Xenon flash may have been brighter than the 5S's flash but not as accurate in maintaining skin tones. The yellow tint people report in their photos is often because of the Xenon flash.

HDR is still needed.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
How about a Lumia 1030 with a Snapdragon 808 or Snapdragon 810 processor and 64 bit operating system ? It's not like it's out of the realm of possibility. It would cost a pretty penny, but it would be a flagship camera phone after all.

i would buy that phone, must record at 60fps,
​i don't mind the price

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Those photos weren't taken on a tripod. But other than that, the Xenon flash may have been brighter than the 5S's flash but not as accurate in maintaining skin tones. The yellow tint people report in their photos is often because of the Xenon flash.

HDR is still needed.

You mean to say all those who click pics should always carry a TRIPOD ?
As far as xenon flash, I never talked about the brightness ?
flash.jpg
Which Picture would you choose ?

No Doubt HDR is needed, but the 1020 (also 808) handles the lighting situations to a great extent. 1020 Successor will have the HDR so dont worry.

I doubt how many Actual cameras use HDRs ?
can anyone answer it ?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 78602

No Doubt HDR is needed, but the 1020 (also 808) handles the lighting situations to a great extent. 1020 Successor will have the HDR so dont worry.

can anyone answer it ?

Just as a reply to your HDR question, yes many of us use it. Turning on HDR helps in heavily backlit areas and HDR+ on my Nexus 5 also preserves more detail with less noise.

The 1020 had a very amazing camera but it was wayy too slow, let's hope 1030 fixes that.

ScruffyT

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Actually, no. While people agree that the Lumia 1020 had a great camera sensor, many people don't think that it was the best cameraphone out there. Because a cameraphone experience isn't just based on how good the phone can zoom, it also depends on what features the camera has to offer and how fast it is.

The Verge declares the iPhone 5S as the best cameraphone out there, and rightfully so. It snaps photos lightning fast, it has slow-mo, better flash, HDR Auto, and much more natural colors than a 1020 does, not to mention the huge amount of people complaining about a yellow tint in their photos taken with the 1020.

David Rahimi explained this pretty well in one of his videos, he said that the benefit of 4K is that if you record videos of your life in 4K they'll look great even when played back years later, when 4K becomes more and more common. You should also keep in mind that many of the phones that have 4K, also have 60 FPS 1080p, something that no Windows Phone has yet.

And 1020 didn't sell all that well either.

First, the verge is pretty well known for leaning Apple. There's been so much controversy at that site, it's not even funny. Second, if you go by the gsmarena camera shootout (a site I actually consider pretty objective) the iPhone 5s comes in dead last against the 1020 and all the higher end android phones. The 1020 is clearly the winner when it comes to pictures and even features. Actually, based on pretty much all reviews and comparisons, the 1020 seems to have more features than the 5s's camera. Its only downside is the video camera; though, it has the mics, OIS, and low light as its saving grace in that area.

The connect[dot]dpreview article "Smartphones versus DSLRs versus film: A look at how far we've come" is also worth looking at. IMO, these are articles/reviews that actually took the time to go fuklly in depth and appear to be as objective as one can find online these days.

Really, as far as I can tell, IMO, the only reall conceding point the 1020 has to the 5s is the camera speed. But I don't think everyone will agree that makes the 5s the better camera phone. I don't and my posts should indicate I'm craving better processing speeds for the 10/1520.

Nobody denies that the 1020 is pretty much the most powerful cameraphone ever. However, there are other things that matter. Because the 1020's camera is slow, it is unsuitable for spontaneous shots (e.g if you see something cool or if you have a kid). The iPhone 5S takes good pictures. And the 1020 takes even better ones, true. But a good-enough picture from an iPhone is better than no picture with a 1020...

Well, to be fair, the iPhone 5s has had its fair share of problems that one could rant about as well. For example, the camera crashing has been pretty notorious as well as the yellow screen tint which would affect viewing of pictures.

View attachment 78602

can anyone answer it ?

My above replies are actually mostly based off the gsmarena shootout. The interesting thing is that even without hdr, the 1020 ended up winning that category.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Just as a reply to your HDR question, yes many of us use it. Turning on HDR helps in heavily backlit areas and HDR+ on my Nexus 5 also preserves more detail with less noise.

The 1020 had a very amazing camera but it was wayy too slow, let's hope 1030 fixes that.

I mean Proper Cameras not Smartphone cameras :winktongue:
HDR is a good option where the camera is not able to handle the scene perfectly.
But their are times the scene looks Fake.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
But Nokia spent a lot of years creating the technology used in the Pureview 808 and 1020, I'm pretty sure they are working on a possible 1030 but they will need some way to reduce the cost, which might involve using a older SOCs, or reducing the display quality to 720p.

Nokia is indeed working on camera tech which will be made available for licensing just like the PureView tech, which also belongs to Nokia. However, Nokia is working on camera-related tech focused on Android. Not Windows Phone.

So what you want to know is: is Microsoft's R&D team working on camera tech for a potential 1030 and what kind of camera tech are they working on. They are licensing the PureView tech (as they bought the "PureView" brand) from Nokia, but they have to build upon that technology because Nokia isn't working with the same aim now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo