41 Megapixel Lumia with Snapdragon coming in early 2015

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Nokia is indeed working on camera tech which will be made available for licensing just like the PureView tech, which also belongs to Nokia. However, Nokia is working on camera-related tech focused on Android. Not Windows Phone.

So what you want to know is: is Microsoft's R&D team working on camera tech for a potential 1030 and what kind of camera tech are they working on. They are licensing the PureView tech (as they bought the "PureView" brand) from Nokia, but they have to build upon that technology because Nokia isn't working with the same aim now.

thats just sad and lame, Pureview should be WPs secret weapon forever,why should evil google get their hands on it
WP carries on the legacy of symbian,maemo/meego and Windows Mobile and WP7
5 Operating systems which ruled the world before android and ios and the best of each OS has made it into WP8.1(some are yet to feature though :( )
nokia has always been my favourite brand and ive seen symbian,meego/maemo etc stumble because Elop stopped it at the last minute instead of letting the platforms mature
history shouldnt repeat itself,nokia should continue being WP exclusive

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Why does everyone assume the 1020's (or an improved) sensor will cost so much more? How much more did the 1020 cost than other phones with the same specs? Not much...

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The sensor in itself may not be that expensive, but the high-quality Zeiss lenses aren't cheap, and they're coupled with some rather amazing OIS technology.

Looking at prices for spare parts, the Lumia 1020 camera module always seem to be twice as expensive or more.

At Parts4Repair it's $45 for the 1020 module vs $18 for the 1520 module.

At Stellatech it's €139 for the 1020 module vs €70 for the 1520 module.

While we don't know the actual bulk component costs for Nokia, it's fair to assume they didn't skimp on the hardware just to raise the profit margins. They had probably already reached the maximum reasonable total component cost.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You mean to say all those who click pics should always carry a TRIPOD ?
As far as xenon flash, I never talked about the brightness ?
View attachment 78602
Which Picture would you choose ?

No Doubt HDR is needed, but the 1020 (also 808) handles the lighting situations to a great extent. 1020 Successor will have the HDR so dont worry.

I doubt how many Actual cameras use HDRs ?
can anyone answer it ?
Any reason why you chose to show images at different zooms? That is hardly a fair comparison...

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Tom Warren from The Verge had reported the 1020 successor wont have 41 mp, It does'nt mean the camera will be bad.

Is this recent? I know he said McLaren wouldn't, but that was back when it was rumored that McLaren was the 1030. Since McLaren with its non-41 MP camera is fortunately not the 1030, I hope the actual 1030 will have the full 41 MP (at least) camera.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Is this recent? I know he said McLaren wouldn't, but that was back when it was rumored that McLaren was the 1030. Since McLaren with its non-41 MP camera is fortunately not the 1030, I hope the actual 1030 will have the full 41 MP (at least) camera.

It was during the 5th of June he mentioned it. Before we even had the McLaren details.

68402d1401974408-tom-warr.png

But the main point remains; Nokia seemed to think they could achieve a greater imaging performance with a different technical approach than obscene oversampling.
I'm excited to see what that new approach was and how much better it performs, because zooming in on the 38MP image always deteriorated image quality. In less-than-optimal conditions you couldn't zoom at all. The pixels are there for oversampling, not zooming.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The 1020 can zoom a lot better than the 920 can, but digital zoom will always have to sacrifice something. Losing the oversampling isn't as bad as the image turning to giant pixels. Now if they can lose some of the pixels but reduce their reliance on oversampling to the point that zoomed-in pictures look better anyway, then I'll be happy. But if they make unzoomed pictures look better at the expense of zoom, then I'll be less excited. I'd still get it though.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The Verge declares the iPhone 5S as the best cameraphone out there, and rightfully so. It snaps photos lightning fast, it has slow-mo, better flash, HDR Auto, and much more natural colors than a 1020 does, not to mention the huge amount of people complaining about a yellow tint in their photos taken with the 1020.

better flash? 1020's flash is Xenon, way brighter and better than 5S' dual-LED

HDR? read this: http://www.gsmarena.com/camera_shootout-review-1104p4.php

and the yellow tint gets better after Black update, so it won't be THAT much unnatural compared to the 5S

ScruffyT

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Any reason why you chose to show images at different zooms? That is hardly a fair comparison...

The originals can be found on the exact same page he got that picture from and the superiority of the 1020, IMO, is still easily seen. As far as your question, your answer is pretty much on the first page of the gsmarena article + the second paragraph of the fifth page. gsmarena, "Camera shootout: Six enter, only one leaves"

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
better flash? 1020's flash is Xenon, way brighter and better than 5S' dual-LED

HDR? read this: http://www.gsmarena.com/camera_shootout-review-1104p4.php

and the yellow tint gets better after Black update, so it won't be THAT much unnatural compared to the 5S

The sole purpose of the flash isn't supposed to be brightness, for a very long time people didn't use flash on their smartphones because it would wash out colors.

The Xenon flash is bright no doubt but it can't match the color accuracy the 5S's flash can. The yellow tint was improved after Lumia Black but is still very much there.

HDR is needed, not just for boosting contrast but for when you are shooting a subject with a lot of backlight.

The 1020 had an amazing sensor but if you compare it as a whole, 5S beat it, maybe not in the megapixel count or sharpness but that's not the only aspect of photography.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
2k video 4k video are just gimmicks, how many Percentage people own 2k-4k TVs or laptops.
will you record 1-3 min of 2k-4k video or 2-xx mins FULL HD video with lossless zoom ?
choice is yours.

This is like DONT buy a car that can go 150 mph because it's a gimmick because your never going to go that fast.

LOL, seriously, I own a 1080i Rear projection TV right now...still, WHy ? Because I plan on going 4K all the way(70"+), Prices are down now but, waiting for a TV to fully support HDMI 2.0 (it's multiple standards like Bluetooth profiles, any thing that has PART of it can claim HDMI 2.0 but, I want the full support). Even the $12,000 85" 4K model does not fully support all the standards of HDMI 2.0...

Just because you wont use it, or "THINK" anyone else will, does that mean it's a actual gimmick ? LOL

Yummy !!!! :)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
thats just sad and lame, Pureview should be WPs secret weapon forever,why should evil google get their hands on it
WP carries on the legacy of symbian,maemo/meego and Windows Mobile and WP7
5 Operating systems which ruled the world before android and ios and the best of each OS has made it into WP8.1(some are yet to feature though :( )
nokia has always been my favourite brand and ive seen symbian,meego/maemo etc stumble because Elop stopped it at the last minute instead of letting the platforms mature
history shouldnt repeat itself,nokia should continue being WP exclusive

The problem is, although Microsoft bought the PureView name, they didn't bought the tech. The tech belongs to Nokia as Nokia holds the patents which are now open to licensing. Being Nokia an independent company, they can do whatever they want and have no more obligations towards Windows Phone.
Windows Phone wasn't making Nokia any money. The moment Microsoft bought Nokia's D&S, Nokia turned to the operating systems that offer them opportunities for money. Ultimately, it was Microsoft's purchase of the D&S division that put an end to the exclusivity of Nokia-tech. It sucks for Microsoft because they can license the tech but have no exclusivity on it and have to invest in their own R&D to offer something unique. But from Nokia's perspective, it allows them to make more money out of the tech they created. Microsoft was aware of what they were doing when they decided to move on Nokia's D&S division.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
The problem is, although Microsoft bought the PureView name, they didn't bought the tech. The tech belongs to Nokia as Nokia holds the patents which are now open to licensing. Being Nokia an independent company, they can do whatever they want and have no more obligations towards Windows Phone.
Windows Phone wasn't making Nokia any money. The moment Microsoft bought Nokia's D&S, Nokia turned to the operating systems that offer them opportunities for money. Ultimately, it was Microsoft's purchase of the D&S division that put an end to the exclusivity of Nokia-tech. It sucks for Microsoft because they can license the tech but have no exclusivity on it and have to invest in their own R&D to offer something unique. But from Nokia's perspective, it allows them to make more money out of the tech they created. Microsoft was aware of what they were doing when they decided to move on Nokia's D&S division.

From my understanding, Microsoft bought the people, the patents, and the tech from Nokia. I never looked into it besides the WPCentral stories though.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
HDR is needed, not just for boosting contrast but for when you are shooting a subject with a lot of backlight.

The 1020 had an amazing sensor but if you compare it as a whole, 5S beat it, maybe not in the megapixel count or sharpness but that's not the only aspect of photography.

did you read the article in the link?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo