The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-10-2014 04:53 AM
46 12
tools
    For one thing, 3GB of RAM isn't required, Snapdragon 805 was made for 2K and 4K displays, F2.0 would allow more light but make the images softer, f2.4 with OIS is pretty good.

A lot of the features can be added through software updates, the only thing a new 1525 would do is **** off existing 1520 owners.
    The Lumia 1520. The last Lumia ever.

Oh wait, bad idea.

Also, a return to f/2, like the 1020 and 92x series, would be a great improvement.
    08-31-2014 10:49 AM
    For one thing, 3GB of RAM isn't required, Snapdragon 805 was made for 2K and 4K displays, F2.0 would allow more light but make the images softer, f2.4 with OIS is pretty good.

A lot of the features can be added through software updates, the only thing a new 1525 would do is **** off existing 1520 owners.
    I added 3GB RAM just for the sake of competing with existing android flagships on specs war.

About f/2 it is my understanding as far as cameras are concerned that the value they give is the maximum possible exist. You can always control it to be smaller than f/2 to f/2.4 and onwards. But, I'm not sure there is an option to control aperture in current smartphones. And, I mentioned f/2 because it makes for better results in lowlight photography and video recording.

And why? Technology always moves on so, there is always that risk.
    08-31-2014 11:18 AM
    Honestly, I think plenty of current 1520 owners would be happy to invest in a new 15xx series phone with great improvements. I would, Christmas is my upgrade.
    08-31-2014 11:19 AM
    Agreed, no phone manufacturer can ever satisfy every consumer. All they can do is design something original, appealing, and as modern as possible.
    08-31-2014 11:22 AM
    I personally, as a design touch, would enjoy a lighter phone, around 200g instead of 250g, and magnesium structure, like with the 920/30. That's aluminum but I personally think magnesium is a better choice. It's lighter, stronger, and dissipates heat more readily.
    A new processor. Even though the 800 is more than sufficient, the new 808/810 chips are much more efficient and I'd love to see that chip put the 3,200 battery to test, and the efficiency of Windows Phones. It's already proven that Windows is much more efficient than Android, just look at the HTC One M8 for Windows.
    And a faster camera is definitely needed. Even though it produces great shots it's more of a set up and take a shot camera versus a snap a quick shot, which is what the majority of people wanted. A faster camera of that caliber would be a much better choice. With xenon or dual tone flash.
    08-31-2014 11:27 AM
    I would be switching from android to windows for the 15xx. I currently use the original galaxy note, and it has been a pretty good phone, despite its imperfections. I've been watching windows phone with interest for some time, but it's just not been ready until recently, and now it's a hardware/capability issue that is stopping me.

To me there is only one possible android device that I would upgrade to, and that is the note 4. The reason for that is the functionality that it offers. I say that to point out what the 15xx would need to get me to switch.

It just has to be as good, both on paper and in reality. What it needs to do that is 5 of the following:
    - included, integrated stylus stored inside the phone (hopefully optimized for onenote)
    - iris scanner and/or voice recognition (or other very easy + reliable securing tech)
    - sapphire glass
    - wireless charging or integrated solar charging display
    - snapdragon 805 or 64-bit processor and 3-4gb ram
    - 25-30mp camera (though it must be very fast; to load the app, to focus, and to take a picture)
    - water/dust proof
    - thinner, lighter, better design, slimmer bezels, less bulky, and QHD

That's the bar, and anything lower I won't be satisfied with for long enough to make it worth the money. If it's not out this year though, it really ought to have all those features.

Microsoft should really just make it worth Samsung's effort to put Windows phone on a variant of the Note 4 because that phone would definitely grab some attention.
    09-01-2014 12:07 AM
    I would be switching from android to windows for the 15xx. I currently use the original galaxy note, and it has been a pretty good phone, despite its imperfections. I've been watching windows phone with interest for some time, but it's just not been ready until recently, and now it's a hardware/capability issue that is stopping me.

To me there is only one possible android device that I would upgrade to, and that is the note 4. The reason for that is the functionality that it offers. I say that to point out what the 15xx would need to get me to switch.

It just has to be as good, both on paper and in reality. What it needs to do that is 5 of the following:
    - included, integrated stylus stored inside the phone (hopefully optimized for onenote)
    - iris scanner and/or voice recognition (or other very easy + reliable securing tech)
    - sapphire glass
    - 25-30mp camera (though it must be very fast; to load the app, to focus, and to take a picture)
    - water/dust proof

That's the bar, and anything lower I won't be satisfied with for long enough to make it worth the money. If it's not out this year though, it really ought to have all those features.

Microsoft should really just make it worth Samsung's effort to put Windows phone on a variant of the Note 4 because that phone would definitely grab some attention.
    You are definitely getting the note 4 then because the 15xx won't have the specs you want (nor does it need them for that matter ).

I have the note 2 and will be definitely upgrading to the verizon version of the 15xx. Why? Kick-*** camera, Beautiful IPS 6 inch screen, and WP 8.1
    09-01-2014 02:32 AM

- sapphire glass
    - water/dust proof

Severely unlikely, in my opinion. Especially the higher mp camera and QHD. 20mp is already higher than the average flagship smartphone, and QHD isn't a noticeable upgrade from FHD, and only drains battery severely. However the rest of those I would love, and think are likely.
    Tony DeLuce likes this.
    09-02-2014 08:02 PM
    The 1520 is a perfect phone, I can't complain, well I can complain about my carrier fees !
    09-03-2014 12:41 AM
    Severely unlikely, in my opinion. Especially the higher mp camera and QHD. 20mp is already higher than the average flagship smartphone, and QHD isn't a noticeable upgrade from FHD, and only drains battery severely. However the rest of those I would love, and think are likely.
    More likely to have the 801 over the 805 as it will only have FHD display...

I guess tonight is the night we will all know for sure (or tomorrow morning if you live in Europe)...
    09-03-2014 04:09 PM
    There is one major problem in the lumia 1520. All apps and transitions need to be much faster even after 8.1/Cyan update. Use any android flagship phone with the same snapdragon 800 chip as the 1520 and you will notice the big difference in speed. Even use the old nexus 4 and you will notice the speed difference.
    I'm big fan of WP since 2010. Always defended it. But to be realistic it's still much slower than Android "flagship" devices with the same specs. Also the apps not optimized and slow compared to android. The gap is bigger if it compared with iphone.
    4 years since releasing WP7 is so long to still being behind android in speed and app performance.
    09-03-2014 04:29 PM
    There is one major problem in the lumia 1520. All apps and transitions need to be much faster even after 8.1/Cyan update. Use any android flagship phone with the same snapdragon 800 chip as the 1520 and you will notice the big difference in speed. Even use the old nexus 4 and you will notice the speed difference.
    I'm big fan of WP since 2010. Always defended it. But to be realistic it's still much slower than Android "flagship" devices with the same specs. Also the apps not optimized and slow compared to android. The gap is bigger if it compared with iphone.
    4 years since releasing WP7 is so long to still being behind android in speed and app performance.
    Then you have a problem, Android was made to be like that. WP was made to transition like that. How is that slow? Because your personal preference and that's all. Ms has been jumping through hoops trying to accommodate all of these "non-standards", causing problems with their own software/compatibility, while the web/apps had been going the route of non standard of Android and ios.
    09-03-2014 04:43 PM
    I feel like most of these specs listed (aside from the IR blaster and possibly on-board features of the SD 808/810) only make this look better on paper and provide little additional performance benefits. I'd rather not pay more for extra components that change almost nothing for the sake of saying "Dur hur, I got 3 GB of RAM!!!"... yeah no one cares.

And 4K resolution? Why waste battery life by improving resolution beyond what the human eye can see? Unless maybe you're that guy with his eye pressed against the glass.
    theefman and Tony DeLuce like this.
    09-03-2014 08:35 PM
    I feel like most of these specs listed (aside from the IR blaster and possibly on-board features of the SD 808/810) only make this look better on paper and provide little additional performance benefits. I'd rather not pay more for extra components that change almost nothing for the sake of saying "Dur hur, I got 3 GB of RAM!!!"... yeah no one cares.

And 4K resolution? Why waste battery life by improving resolution beyond what the human eye can see? Unless maybe you're that guy with his eye pressed against the glass.
    Actually it's been proven that the human eye can see 4K resolution just fine. It's not a severely noticeable upgrade on a small screen but on a 6 in. screen it would be amazing. Anyways, looking good on paper is a large part of it consumption. The average consumer has no idea what the difference between a Snapdragon Qualcomm 400 cpu and an 800. Or what the difference is in 512 mb and 3gb of RAM. All they know is one number is bigger than the other, and one number advertises severely improved performance. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think every single smartphone owner is a tech head. In fact, out of my entire family I'm the only one who really knows the meaning of smartphone hardware except possibly my dad who used to build computers.
    09-03-2014 09:16 PM
    Who says that your eyes can't see 4k or above? It doesn't have to do with resolution, it has to do with pixels per inch.

I admit that on phones with 4 - 6 inch screens 2K or 4K do not serve some very important purpose, because they get the PPI above 500, and our eyes are known to not be able to distinguish after 350 PPI.

The benefit of 4K is only on those huge TVs and stuff, not on phones. So I'm okay with the 1520 or 1525 maintaining a 1080p display.
    Tony DeLuce likes this.
    09-03-2014 09:59 PM
    Resolution is meaningless unless combined with two other parmeters: screen size and distance from screen. For the human eye to distinguish between 4k and 1080p on a 6 inch screen your eye literally must be within a couple inches of the screen (much closer than the typical viewing difference). The additional resolution also comes at a processing and consequently power consuption cost... 1080p on a 6 inch screen with 801 snapdragon is state of the art - the only real reason to go with a 805 snapdragon today is to drive more than a 1080p display or a greater than 21 Megapixel camera neither which we are likely to see tonight / tomorrow morning from Nokia on a 15XX...
    Last edited by Tony DeLuce; 09-03-2014 at 10:49 PM.
    09-03-2014 10:36 PM
    Resolution is meaningless unless combined with two other parmeters: screen size and distance from screen. For the human eye to distinguish between 4k and 1080p on a 6 inch screen your eye literally must be within a couple inches of the screen (much closer than the typical viewing difference). The additional resolution also comes at a processing and consequently power consuption cost... 1080p on a 6 inch screen with 801 snapdragon is state of the art - the only real reason to go with a 805 snapdragon today is to drive more than a 1080p display or a greater than 21 Megapixel camera neither which we are likely to see tonight / tomorrow morning from Nokia on a 15XX...
    But if a Lumia 1525 came out with a Snapdragon 805 with a 1080p display, it would be the fastest phone ever, primarily because all other Snapdragon 805 devices came out with 2K displays, turning down the resolution boosts performance and benchmark scores.

But since most flagship devices with a 5.5 inch+ display are now 2k, if Nokia releases a refreshed version of 1520 people would expect it to be 2k.

Anyways if I was a 1520 owner, I wouldn't be worried at all.
    09-04-2014 04:41 AM
    But if a Lumia 1525 came out with a Snapdragon 805 with a 1080p display, it would be the fastest phone ever, primarily because all other Snapdragon 805 devices came out with 2K displays, turning down the resolution boosts performance and benchmark scores.

But since most flagship devices with a 5.5 inch+ display are now 2k, if Nokia releases a refreshed version of 1520 people would expect it to be 2k.

Anyways if I was a 1520 owner, I wouldn't be worried at all.
    Can you get me written statements from all 1520 users that they expect the 1525/30 to be 2k? Then I'll believe that "people" will expect it.

If the SD 810 allows for additional features that I want and that aren't available in the 800/801, I would care. Otherwise, the functionality of the OS is hardly different with a quad-core 2.3 GHz processor. Even the SD 400 is capable of running WP without noticeable lag.
    Tony DeLuce likes this.
    09-04-2014 10:25 PM
    The real difference between the 810 and 800 is efficiency. Battery life would be insanely good with the 810, and the camera would be much, much, much faster.
    09-05-2014 06:23 PM
    Denin already alledgedly makes camera much much faster and battery aleady good enough. I would rather have the 801 today than wait until Spring for the 805 (when everyone will be talking about how much better the 900 is going to be :-)
    09-05-2014 07:14 PM
    I think the 1520 is perfect just as it is. If I didn't already have a 1520 it would be my next phone, period. I will address two issues you brought up: 1) it's slippery...most folks have a cover which negates any issues there; 2) Qi charge is overrated...most of us use the plug-in charger anyway. I had the Qi charge with my 920 and used it some at first because it was new but finally went with just the plug-in charging.
    You are completely wrong. Just because you don't use the QI charger gives you no logical reasoning in your statement saying "most of us use the plug-in charger anyways.". QI charging is drastically improving and will continue to grow.
    09-10-2014 04:53 AM
46 12