Nokia Lumia 1525/30

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It could happen tho as the price of tech usually falls pretty fast... Bit slap a name on the phone and the price stays the same. I remember in 1994 where a 2 meg of ram for the amiga A1200 costs around ?400 lol

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
If you want a future proof phone get ms to put intels new mobile processors in a Lumia! They destroy snapdragon. Unfortunately i doubt they will as they will be more pricey.

Intel doesn't make mobile processors at the moment, they wanted to release a Baytrail chip for Android however I believe it was canceled.

The most powerful SOC for mobile right now is Tegra K1, it beats all existing Snapdragon technology however two limitations:

1) Tegra K1 is currently only available for tablets.

2) Nvidia is not working to optimize their chip for Windows Phone.

It could happen tho as the price of tech usually falls pretty fast... Bit slap a name on the phone and the price stays the same. I remember in 1994 where a 2 meg of ram for the amiga A1200 costs around ?400 lol

Actually, since last year after Snapdragon 800 there haven't been massive improvements in the SOC technology because Snapdragon is trying to work out both battery and heat issues, I believe.

The Snaodragon 800 being used since 2013 is for most purposes, still future-proof.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
On paper..no.. But functionality.. Yes. It takes great pics, 4G is perfect, wireless charging is lovely.perfect screen size..enough storage plus SD card..what more do you really need? It's easy to say sapphire glass.. But I don't need that as I am not clumsy and make sure my phone u in a case in my pocket with no keys or lose change...so sapphire glass is not an issue for me. 1080p is perfect and I have no plans to buy a 4K tv as you need to buy a 4k laptop to transfer to blu-ray to play your footage from a 4k phone.

But it's not just about you, it's about new and potential customers that are looking into possibly getting a Windows phone. And what do they find? Something that simply can't compete statistically to brand new phones at a similar price. And even if you don't need any fancy features, the screen could be even better(not 4k, that just drains battery), and the camera is stupidly slow.
And you're careful with your phone, so am I, but accidents happen.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
1520 is a pretty great phone. I'd love to add the following new ingredients to an already great formulae for 1520 successor:
SD805
3Gb RAM
Adreno 420
4k video recording
Faster camera app loading times plus faster shooting times for photos
120fps and slowmo
Addition for more automatic modes in camera like portrait, sports, smile, hdr, night
Better low light quality in video recording specially
Better continuous autofocus
F/2 aperture
Come with dedicated pen and pen input support plus find a way to put pen within phone itself

They can keep the:
great 3400mah battery
IPS LCD display with assertive technology
32GB internal with SD card slot
1/2.3" sensor with Zeiss lens, preview tech, super sampling tech, OIS
And last but not the least GLANCE

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
1520 is a pretty great phone. I'd love to add the following new ingredients to an already great formulae for 1520 successor:
SD805
3Gb RAM
Adreno 420
4k video recording
Faster camera app loading times plus faster shooting times for photos
120fps and slowmo
Addition for more automatic modes in camera like portrait, sports, smile, hdr, night
Better low light quality in video recording specially
Better continuous autofocus
F/2 aperture
Come with dedicated pen and pen input support plus find a way to put pen within phone itself

They can keep the:
great 3400mah battery
IPS LCD display with assertive technology
32GB internal with SD card slot
1/2.3" sensor with Zeiss lens, preview tech, super sampling tech, OIS
And last but not the least GLANCE

For one thing, 3GB of RAM isn't required, Snapdragon 805 was made for 2K and 4K displays, F2.0 would allow more light but make the images softer, f2.4 with OIS is pretty good.

A lot of the features can be added through software updates, the only thing a new 1525 would do is **** off existing 1520 owners.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
For one thing, 3GB of RAM isn't required, Snapdragon 805 was made for 2K and 4K displays, F2.0 would allow more light but make the images softer, f2.4 with OIS is pretty good.

A lot of the features can be added through software updates, the only thing a new 1525 would do is **** off existing 1520 owners.

The Lumia 1520. The last Lumia ever.

Oh wait, bad idea.

Also, a return to f/2, like the 1020 and 92x series, would be a great improvement.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

I added 3GB RAM just for the sake of competing with existing android flagships on specs war.

About f/2 it is my understanding as far as cameras are concerned that the value they give is the maximum possible exist. You can always control it to be smaller than f/2 to f/2.4 and onwards. But, I'm not sure there is an option to control aperture in current smartphones. And, I mentioned f/2 because it makes for better results in lowlight photography and video recording.

And why? Technology always moves on so, there is always that risk.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I personally, as a design touch, would enjoy a lighter phone, around 200g instead of 250g, and magnesium structure, like with the 920/30. That's aluminum but I personally think magnesium is a better choice. It's lighter, stronger, and dissipates heat more readily.
A new processor. Even though the 800 is more than sufficient, the new 808/810 chips are much more efficient and I'd love to see that chip put the 3,200 battery to test, and the efficiency of Windows Phones. It's already proven that Windows is much more efficient than Android, just look at the HTC One M8 for Windows.
And a faster camera is definitely needed. Even though it produces great shots it's more of a set up and take a shot camera versus a snap a quick shot, which is what the majority of people wanted. A faster camera of that caliber would be a much better choice. With xenon or dual tone flash.

Daniel Seer

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I would be switching from android to windows for the 15xx. I currently use the original galaxy note, and it has been a pretty good phone, despite its imperfections. I've been watching windows phone with interest for some time, but it's just not been ready until recently, and now it's a hardware/capability issue that is stopping me.

To me there is only one possible android device that I would upgrade to, and that is the note 4. The reason for that is the functionality that it offers. I say that to point out what the 15xx would need to get me to switch.

It just has to be as good, both on paper and in reality. What it needs to do that is 5 of the following:
- included, integrated stylus stored inside the phone (hopefully optimized for onenote)
- iris scanner and/or voice recognition (or other very easy + reliable securing tech)
- sapphire glass
- wireless charging or integrated solar charging display
- snapdragon 805 or 64-bit processor and 3-4gb ram
- 25-30mp camera (though it must be very fast; to load the app, to focus, and to take a picture)
- water/dust proof
- thinner, lighter, better design, slimmer bezels, less bulky, and QHD

That's the bar, and anything lower I won't be satisfied with for long enough to make it worth the money. If it's not out this year though, it really ought to have all those features.

Microsoft should really just make it worth Samsung's effort to put Windows phone on a variant of the Note 4 because that phone would definitely grab some attention.

Tony DeLuce

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I would be switching from android to windows for the 15xx. I currently use the original galaxy note, and it has been a pretty good phone, despite its imperfections. I've been watching windows phone with interest for some time, but it's just not been ready until recently, and now it's a hardware/capability issue that is stopping me.

To me there is only one possible android device that I would upgrade to, and that is the note 4. The reason for that is the functionality that it offers. I say that to point out what the 15xx would need to get me to switch.

It just has to be as good, both on paper and in reality. What it needs to do that is 5 of the following:
- included, integrated stylus stored inside the phone (hopefully optimized for onenote)
- iris scanner and/or voice recognition (or other very easy + reliable securing tech)
- sapphire glass
- 25-30mp camera (though it must be very fast; to load the app, to focus, and to take a picture)
- water/dust proof

That's the bar, and anything lower I won't be satisfied with for long enough to make it worth the money. If it's not out this year though, it really ought to have all those features.

Microsoft should really just make it worth Samsung's effort to put Windows phone on a variant of the Note 4 because that phone would definitely grab some attention.
You are definitely getting the note 4 then because the 15xx won't have the specs you want (nor does it need them for that matter ).

I have the note 2 and will be definitely upgrading to the verizon version of the 15xx. Why? Kick-*** camera, Beautiful IPS 6 inch screen, and WP 8.1

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

- sapphire glass
- water/dust proof

Severely unlikely, in my opinion. Especially the higher mp camera and QHD. 20mp is already higher than the average flagship smartphone, and QHD isn't a noticeable upgrade from FHD, and only drains battery severely. However the rest of those I would love, and think are likely.

Tony DeLuce

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Severely unlikely, in my opinion. Especially the higher mp camera and QHD. 20mp is already higher than the average flagship smartphone, and QHD isn't a noticeable upgrade from FHD, and only drains battery severely. However the rest of those I would love, and think are likely.

More likely to have the 801 over the 805 as it will only have FHD display...

I guess tonight is the night we will all know for sure (or tomorrow morning if you live in Europe)...

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
There is one major problem in the lumia 1520. All apps and transitions need to be much faster even after 8.1/Cyan update. Use any android flagship phone with the same snapdragon 800 chip as the 1520 and you will notice the big difference in speed. Even use the old nexus 4 and you will notice the speed difference.
I'm big fan of WP since 2010. Always defended it. But to be realistic it's still much slower than Android "flagship" devices with the same specs. Also the apps not optimized and slow compared to android. The gap is bigger if it compared with iphone.
4 years since releasing WP7 is so long to still being behind android in speed and app performance.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
There is one major problem in the lumia 1520. All apps and transitions need to be much faster even after 8.1/Cyan update. Use any android flagship phone with the same snapdragon 800 chip as the 1520 and you will notice the big difference in speed. Even use the old nexus 4 and you will notice the speed difference.
I'm big fan of WP since 2010. Always defended it. But to be realistic it's still much slower than Android "flagship" devices with the same specs. Also the apps not optimized and slow compared to android. The gap is bigger if it compared with iphone.
4 years since releasing WP7 is so long to still being behind android in speed and app performance.

Then you have a problem, Android was made to be like that. WP was made to transition like that. How is that slow? Because your personal preference and that's all. Ms has been jumping through hoops trying to accommodate all of these "non-standards", causing problems with their own software/compatibility, while the web/apps had been going the route of non standard of Android and ios.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I feel like most of these specs listed (aside from the IR blaster and possibly on-board features of the SD 808/810) only make this look better on paper and provide little additional performance benefits. I'd rather not pay more for extra components that change almost nothing for the sake of saying "Dur hur, I got 3 GB of RAM!!!"... yeah no one cares.

And 4K resolution? Why waste battery life by improving resolution beyond what the human eye can see? Unless maybe you're that guy with his eye pressed against the glass.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I feel like most of these specs listed (aside from the IR blaster and possibly on-board features of the SD 808/810) only make this look better on paper and provide little additional performance benefits. I'd rather not pay more for extra components that change almost nothing for the sake of saying "Dur hur, I got 3 GB of RAM!!!"... yeah no one cares.

And 4K resolution? Why waste battery life by improving resolution beyond what the human eye can see? Unless maybe you're that guy with his eye pressed against the glass.

Actually it's been proven that the human eye can see 4K resolution just fine. It's not a severely noticeable upgrade on a small screen but on a 6 in. screen it would be amazing. Anyways, looking good on paper is a large part of it consumption. The average consumer has no idea what the difference between a Snapdragon Qualcomm 400 cpu and an 800. Or what the difference is in 512 mb and 3gb of RAM. All they know is one number is bigger than the other, and one number advertises severely improved performance. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think every single smartphone owner is a tech head. In fact, out of my entire family I'm the only one who really knows the meaning of smartphone hardware except possibly my dad who used to build computers.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Who says that your eyes can't see 4k or above? It doesn't have to do with resolution, it has to do with pixels per inch.

I admit that on phones with 4 - 6 inch screens 2K or 4K do not serve some very important purpose, because they get the PPI above 500, and our eyes are known to not be able to distinguish after 350 PPI.

The benefit of 4K is only on those huge TVs and stuff, not on phones. So I'm okay with the 1520 or 1525 maintaining a 1080p display.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss