Nokia Lumia 1525/30

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
What are you looking for in the-hopefully-upcoming Nokia Lumia 1525/30? I know there are probably threads for this but I'm-quite simply-much too lazy to go looking for it and read through nine pages of various opinions and meaningless arguments just to post something no one will notice.
First off, I hope this phone comes out before the Christmas holidays, as that's when my upgrade comes around and if there isn't a new 15xx series I'll probably go for the HTC One M8 with Windows. If the aforementioned Nokia Lumia meets my expectations, I'll definitely get it.
Obviously, a 6 inch 1080p IPS LCD screen with Nokia's iconic ClearBlack label and beautiful contrast, mature and realistic colors, warm temperatures, fantastic viewing angles, etc. In other words, I'd love for the screen to be improved further but if it's left how it is it's still one of the best screens out there.
The newest Snapdragon Qualcomm chip available. The 808 and 810 just came out, but perhaps asking for a chip not expected to be in a phone until early Spring of 2015 to show up before Christmas is too much. At the very least, this phone needs to surpass the One M8 like it was a still stone.
I'll accept a 20mp PureView camera just like the 1520, but with a better sensor, and a much faster shutter speed, and a quicker focus would be great as well. And a much needed improvement on the panorama mode, but a lot of this is stuff that's software fixes as opposed to hardware.
32gb in-built memory with a microSD slot upgradeable with cards up to 128gb. This also is in the old phone but it's still a necessary feature.
A new design. The corners on the 1520 are just a tad bit too harsh and at any rate with almost a year on the phone a new design or at least a better design is in order. And honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing on-screen software soft keys to replace the physical soft keys, as I've heard only good things-of course, after you originally get used to the difference-and it would allow the screen bezel to shrink and make the phone less cumbersome with the same amazing screen.
Keep the physical two-stage camera button, as it's only useful and with a flagship phone there's no real need to cut back a few cents.
Qi wireless charging. A feature unfortunately missing in most phones, and a useful commodity to many.
A wider variety of bright colors and slim, stylish usage of aluminum or even better magnesium(lighter and stronger) to add structural strength and a noticeable design touch.
Move the headphone jack. On a smaller phone it's most practical in one of the corners but on such a large phone it would probably be better to bring it over a few millimeters towards the center. It's still easy to use in landscape mode to watch videos but won't be as obtrusive.
At least 2gb of RAM, but possibly three. Of course, as of now 3gb of RAM isn't needed but it looks good on paper and it helps future proof the phone.
IR blaster. It's one of the only features that no Nokia to date has and although it's little more than a novelty it's fun and can be useful.
Large batter. The current battery is 3,400 I believe but with a better chip the battery should last even longer. Long battery life is a great selling point and with the obvious efficiency of Windows Phone(just look at the HTC One M8. The exact same phone, except the Android has a 12 hour average battery life and the Windows has 21) will surely help make the battery last even longer.
Touching up on design, although polycarbonate plastic feels premium and looks good, texture isn't great. Improve the feel of the phone, make it less slippery. One of the biggest breaking points of buying such a large phone is picking it up and feeling like it's a little slippery.
Possibly 64-bit. Microsoft has hinted this is the future of Windows Phones anyways, and why not start now? Other phones and tablets have already come out, and it helps future proof the phone.
This is just idle speculation, but I'd love to see a Sapphire Glass display. It's 2.5 times harder than Corning's Gorilla Glass and is practically 'finger-print and scratch proof'.
Of course, fix any and all of the previous hardware malfunctions and problems the 1520 had, make it more reliable. I've seen too many accounts of "My 1520 did this wrong!" and "Why would Nokia give me such piece of crap?"
And this is something a lot of people have suddenly wanted in a Nokia flagship...front facing speakers. I think it would work amazingly on the 15xx series, especially if we make the physical soft keys on-screen. We could add two front facing speakers and barely make the phone taller by removing the entire bezel on the bottom of the screen. Like with the HTC One M8, it's a great selling point.
EDIT: Also nice would be decreased weight. For it's size the 1520 is quite heavy. I'd like to see it be below 200g. At least 200g, the weight of the Note III.
Additionally, a stylus or at least stylus support(that would probably be more practical to sell the stylus separately). A stylus that does not require batteries-a fault of the stylus for the Surface Pro 3-with fantastic accuracy and neat features connected directly to apps like OneNote.
And a measure of water resistant/dust proof certifications. Not to the extent of Sony, maybe, but at least coat the inside of the headphone jack and add a small rubber stopper to the microUSB or coat it as well. Just enough where if you spill a whole cup of water on your phone you won't have to worry. Or if you drop it in the shallow end of a pool and immediately retrieve it it'll be fine.

And of course, I'm hoping that this phone is the first Windows Phone to launch with Windows Phone 9, which will hopefully fix many of the current OS problems.
It's a lot to ask for...and quite a bit of it like the front facing speakers probably won't happen...especially by Christmas. On the other hand...if at least Microsoft told us the details of the 1525/30 by Christmas I might wait just to get it.
Am I missing anything? What else are you looking for in the new 15xx?

Last edited:

tejanaqkilica

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for the price in fact, if Microsoft want's to attract Apple fans out should price the new 15xx at about 0.99$ and "invent" a new, unique charger which should sell separately for about 5000$, that should do the trick.
Also should rename a bunch of stuff like the glance screen (if will be available) should name it, Diamond sun rays with unicorn tears, and the messaging hub"talk with people with firezmonikon"
Plus some ads that says "We invent communications, not cellphones, but communication"

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the 1520 is perfect just as it is. If I didn't already have a 1520 it would be my next phone, period. I will address two issues you brought up: 1) it's slippery...most folks have a cover which negates any issues there; 2) Qi charge is overrated...most of us use the plug-in charger anyway. I had the Qi charge with my 920 and used it some at first because it was new but finally went with just the plug-in charging.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I agree, the 1520 is a fantastic phone, but we're in the process of entering a new era, a new generation of smartphones where the 1520 will quickly became ancient and outdated to all except current Windows fans. It's practically inevitable-the 1520 being arguably Nokia's best phone to date-that Microsoft will release the 1525/30. If you could improve anything about the 1520, what would it be? For example, the screen. The 1520 uses Corning's Gorilla Glass 2, which was outdated when the 1520 came out and is much more potent to scratches and finger prints than Gorilla Glass 3 and the newest upcoming generation of displays, Sapphire Glass.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
In addition, the 1520's core is two generations behind. It's still powerful and fast, but we can expect apps and features that the 1520 won't be able to support in the next few years. And also, updates that the core won't support. Not only will the new 15xx series be faster, more powerful, and better in every way performance wise, it'll be more future proof, ready to meet the next generation of phones head on and kick its ****.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Yep pretty much my dream device there. Want 30mp cam and sylus for onenote and ir blaster for tv and front speakers for listening to music and big screen cause its awesome and expandable memory and it needs to be on Verizon ;)

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Well said. A better camera wouldn't be a bad addition but space is an issue here. I'd sacrifice that 30mp camera for the old 20mp with an improved sensor, dual tone LED flash, etc. for new hardware that makes the 1525/30 the fastest device in the world.(HTC One M8 for Windows should be pushed to third.)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I agree, the 1520 is a fantastic phone, but we're in the process of entering a new era, a new generation of smartphones where the 1520 will quickly became ancient and outdated to all except current Windows fans. It's practically inevitable-the 1520 being arguably Nokia's best phone to date-that Microsoft will release the 1525/30. If you could improve anything about the 1520, what would it be? For example, the screen. The 1520 uses Corning's Gorilla Glass 2, which was outdated when the 1520 came out and is much more potent to scratches and finger prints than Gorilla Glass 3 and the newest upcoming generation of displays, Sapphire Glass.

I'm curious what functionality exists on other platforms that represensts this "new era" of smartphones. So far all I've seen is people announcing phones with ever increasing spec numbers but no actual new functionality so what exactly is the 1520 incapable of?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It's not what the 1520 is incapable of now, it's what it will be. I know that the 1520 is great, but I created this thread to talk about what we wanted in the next version. There's a lot of new technology that isn't necessary quite yet but will become more prominent within the next few years. Sapphire screens being a great example, as they're clearly superior to Gorilla Glass 3. 64-bit phones seem to be the future. Eventually-once batteries become better-QHD. Wireless charging capability where you walk into your house and your phone charges in your pocket-this has already been in beta for a long time and works well but has yet to be commercialized. If/when the 15xx series is updated I want to get the best you can get. I don't want the 1520 copied and pasted I want a phone that's better in every single way.
Agreed, a Xenon flash would be a great addition.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Eh, I wouldn't count on it. The 1520 is still a great device and the 1525 would just have some incremental updates.

It's more likely that Nokia will work on a 1020 successor, instead of a 1520 one.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Personally the only update that needs to be done is solor powered charging that's on the shell. Never have to worry about battery. For me 1520 is perfect. 1080p screen. Don't need sapphire glass as a case is the best way to protect the screen and don't put keys or money in the same pocket. Process wise... It plays up to date games....want to play more powerful games? Buy a ps4/xbox one (don't mean to sound rude saying that) memory is great and the SD card is perfect. Wireless charging I don't need, 6" screen is a joy, camera is great as I just take pics and not a pro photographer. For me personally... I don't need an update to the 1520. It does all I need and more. Everyone has different preferences but I personally don't think we need a 1520 successor yet. Be awful if we went down the apple road and released a new device every year

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The point is, the 1520 is a fantastic device right now (never said I don't like it, I absolutely love everything about it), but it is about relevance. You can't deny that smartphones continuously get better, especially now with new technology breakthroughs happening every day.
It's not about how good the 1520 is, it's about Microsoft keeping up with other mobile producers.
Snapdragon announced the release of their new 808 and 810 Qualcomm processor chips back in April. The first phones featuring these vastly superior chips are expected to arrive in early 2015. These chips provide greater power, efficiency, and support for the newest features. One of these new chips would be a perfect replacement for the now outdated 800 chip in the 1520, and as these new chips support 55mp cameras, for the 1020 as well.
The 1520 is very slowly becoming a mid-range device. Even though the IPS LCD screen is still one of the best-absolutely gorgeous-how long before it's overshadowed by QHD screens and the battery life of these phones surpasses the 1520 because of the newest Snapdragon chips and newest batteries? Could you imagine a QHD screen on the 1520?(not for a while but still, it would be amazing).
Be open minded guys, if Microsoft wants to remain relevant in a quickly changing and vastly improving technological world, they have to release successors with updated software. The 1520 is an impressive device, but without these new chips, it could become slow in comparison to the next flagship phones.
It's not even the fastest phone by Windows standards, with the HTC One M8 taking that spot. There's something wrong with that.
So if/when the new 15xx series comes out, how can we improve the 1520? You can't say there's absolutely nothing to improve because you're wrong(of course you're entitled to your own opinion but there's a lot of things the 1520 can have that it doesn't). Front facing speakers? Fantastic. I love that idea. There's so much that modern technology allows us to do, and we can't do it with the 1520. Even if you don't think you won't use any of this, you might be surprised. And it's not just about you. At the same time, how can Microsoft advertise their "superior" phones when their arguably best phone ever can't compare to the newest.
It's about relevance. Staying relevant, staying modern, and doing it as quickly as possible. Release the best device you can and do it before the competition. The Galaxy Note is the 1520's main competitor...and the 4 is coming out.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hows that awful? That's called staying relevant!
what I mean is, it wouldn't be practical to release a new device every year.18 months would be ideal as most people can't afford to buy the latest products every year so I wouldnt want to have an out dated device within a year of having it knowing that a new one is just around the corner

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
On paper..no.. But functionality.. Yes. It takes great pics, 4G is perfect, wireless charging is lovely.perfect screen size..enough storage plus SD card..what more do you really need? It's easy to say sapphire glass.. But I don't need that as I am not clumsy and make sure my phone u in a case in my pocket with no keys or lose change...so sapphire glass is not an issue for me. 1080p is perfect and I have no plans to buy a 4K tv as you need to buy a 4k laptop to transfer to blu-ray to play your footage from a 4k phone.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
In addition, the 1520's core is two generations behind. It's still powerful and fast, but we can expect apps and features that the 1520 won't be able to support in the next few years. And also, updates that the core won't support. Not only will the new 15xx series be faster, more powerful, and better in every way performance wise, it'll be more future proof, ready to meet the next generation of phones head on and kick its ****.
If you want a future proof phone get ms to put intels new mobile processors in a Lumia! They destroy snapdragon. Unfortunately i doubt they will as they will be more pricey.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb