Nokia Lumia 1520 vs. Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Review - First Impressions - Mobile Phones
Enough said. The Galaxy Note 4 is an amazing piece of machinery.
5.7 in. QHD Super AMOLED display with over 500 ppi. 16 mp camera with dual-tone LED flash and optical stabilization. Snapdragon 805 Qualcomm processor clocked at 2.7 ghz with 3 gb of RAM. Premium metal design-except with the same faux leather like the Galaxy S5-with built in heart-sensor, finger print scanner and improved stylus integration.
Can charge 50% in 30 minutes with a battery fully capable of getting you through a day.
The stylus now offers twice the pressure sensitivity at over 2,000 dps.
This isn't even the full review. I have made a thread calling for a new 15xx successor and the features I'd like to see in it. And now the Galaxy Note 4 is here, and it quite simply blows away the 1520. The only advantage for the 1520 is Windows, as far as I can see. And a slightly higher mp camera...but the Note 4 is faster, better HDR mode, etc.
I love the 1520, but it can no longer compete with devices such as this. If this device came with Windows, I doubt very many 1520 owners would adamantly stay with their own device.

CnastyU

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Still would choose the 1520 because it isnt Android, Samsung, and Touchwiz.

This isnt a huge update from the Note 3 which I had which was a miserable experience of inconsistent battery life, performance issues, and the good ol Touchwiz lag.

Never used the Spen, the 1520 camera is way better, and the OS will always be more efficient and snappier than Touchwiz/Android. Specs are nice but I enjoy real life performance and ease which is what the 1520 gives.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
What do you expect in terms of battery life? The screen is likely more energy consuming and the battery is also slightly weaker. Battery life is one of the big upsides the 1520 has in store.

rav813

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
the Note 4, like every other Samsung product, will be great for the first 6-9 months. then it will become bogged down because of updates and unbearably laggy. I saw it happen on my Note 2 and Galaxy S4. My Lumia 920 is smoother and faster than either of those phones now.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
What do you expect in terms of battery life? The screen is likely more energy consuming and the battery is also slightly weaker. Battery life is one of the big upsides the 1520 has in store.
Nikola Tesla, that's fantastic. He's my favorite historical figure.
Anyways, the battery hasn't been thoroughly tested yet, as this was a small review and not the full one, but Samsung advertised 20 hours of moderate use on this phone, and it has a slightly smaller battery than the 1520. That's impressive with that screen.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
the Note 4, like every other Samsung product, will be great for the first 6-9 months. then it will become bogged down because of updates and unbearably laggy. I saw it happen on my Note 2 and Galaxy S4. My Lumia 920 is smoother and faster than either of those phones now.
There's an answer for that, and it's quite simply called TouchWiz UI. However, with the Note 3 and S5 Samsung severely refined TouchWiz and massively cut back on bloatware.

CnastyU

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
with the Note 3 severely refined TouchWiz and massively cut back on bloatware.

I think not. I had the Note 3 and it was still overly bloated and as the poster said everything was great for the first 6 months or so and then the slow updates came and the Touchwiz reared its ugly inconsistent performing head. Battery life would drop by huge percentages out of nowhere with no new app installs or phone changes. Lag would come out of nowhere when attempting to multitask which is supposed to be one of the big sellers for the line.

Hardware wise its a beautiful device and amazing screen but until Touchwiz goes away Samsung phones will never get another look from me. The efficiency and snappiness of the WP OS with less specs and RAM continues to impress.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think not. I had the Note 3 and it was still overly bloated and as the poster said everything was great for the first 6 months or so and then the slow updates came and the Touchwiz reared its ugly inconsistent performing head. Battery life would drop by huge percentages out of nowhere with no new app installs or phone changes. Lag would come out of nowhere when attempting to multitask which is supposed to be one of the big sellers for the line.

Hardware wise its a beautiful device and amazing screen but until Touchwiz goes away Samsung phones will never get another look from me. The efficiency and snappiness of the WP OS with less specs and RAM continues to impress.

I understand where you're coming from but the performance of the Note 4 is unparalleled and suffered from absolutely no lags, stutters, staggers, performance issues or otherwise during the few days this review company had it for.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The Note 4 is a monster in the specs department.. What is ticking me off is the amount of useless bloatware installed.

I love my Tab Pro and I use it every night for light reading and internet browsing but Samsung for a device that I carry throughout the day in need of something stable and great battery life? No thanks. I find their phones inconsistent and a battery hog. Touchwiz isn't helping either (although they look great now)

I'd rather get the LG G3 if I were to use Android.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I understand where you're coming from but the performance of the Note 4 is unparalleled and suffered from absolutely no lags, stutters, staggers, performance issues or otherwise during the few days this review company had it for.

I doubt it, android gets slower overtime unlike ios and windows phone. When it takes 2 seconds to launch the phone app that is a major concern. This was my experience with the LG G2

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Be a year or more before WP supports such hardware, there's simply no argument, the note 4 outclasses every WP device when it comes to hardware. Making excuses about bloatware when the device hasn't even been tested is frankly, ridiculous. Until Microsoft allows the OS to use any current hardware WP will always be behind.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
People who have used more recent samsung devices claim that they all end up with the same problems over a course of time are being ridiculous because this brand new sparkling device started out just like theirs? I don't agree

but I will give the note a chance possibly when my upgrade comes

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The Note 4 will be a good device and even greater once it is capable of rooting and having a custom rc rom/recovery put on it and the means to return it to stock.

Put a different launcher on any of the Galaxy phones and the majority of issues go away when set up properly. I have owned them all except for the g5 and the note 3...What I despise about Samsung is Knox and locked bootloaders along with their e-fuse... and as such will never buy one.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The only problem that I can see with the Note 4 is that it isn't 64-bit. A device like that should be 64-bit, end of story.

Why? Because that's what constitutes "keeping up with the Joneses" these days. Are apps designed for the new architecture? If not, it's like putting AvGas in a Kia.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Actually, it's the future for smartphones. Microsoft's plan for the future is to have every device be 64-bit, connected across the board. From desktop to laptop to tablet to phone to Xbox.
iOS is not the only reason iPhones run so much faster on such slower processors than Android devices. The iPhone 6 Plus' 1.4 ghz dual-core A8 processor is faster than the Galaxy Note 4's 2.7 ghz quad-core 805 Snapdragon Qualcomm. All iPhones are 64-bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss