How do you feel about the Galaxy Note 4 and its WP features?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
All OSes copy each other, agreed, but android copies more as compared to any other OS. say if iOS /windows copies 1 or 2 features(they are not of android), then Android copies 10 to 20 features which are from iOS/windows. Reason? Its an open source OS & a child's play to jailbreak it. Also different companies give different features & many of them don't mind copying iOS/Windows(that doesn't mean now Android looks like iOS or Windows). Hence they don't even mind if their phone looks like an iPhone. You have got so many updates from alpha to kit Kat, still android lags. My friends note 3 lags. Android is a power hungry OS, all the budget phones with lower processors lag & all the high end phones are the ones that do not lag(sometimes). Windows / iOS is not a power hungry OS, it runs smoothly on single /dual core processors. I have my old Lumia 710, which has only 1.4 GHz single core processor, still it runs buttery smooth(even when it had 1mb memory remaining it didn't lag) That's certainly not the case with android. Android phones are also not the most sturdy ones, but Nokia phones surely are. Android just has apps/games etc, but as an OS it lags. It lacks quality like ios/Windows. Android is surely a more power hungry OS as compared to iOS /windows. IPhones have the best touch response, Android comes last with windows on 2nd spot. Network data usage is maximum in Android, minimum in windows. There are many aspects where Android lags behind windows /iOS, which many people ignore

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
People need awareness of windows phone and BB10
They don't understand the problems of ios and mostly android are non-existent on windows phone and BB10,as a phone I think android is at the bottom with WP at the top overall imho
WP does what a phone should , we don't need multiple fake apps and malware and bad optimisation on a phone just customisation isn't enough
We don't want a computer on our phones,we want a perfect phone which maybe in the future can do what computer os's can and Microsoft has proven one os for all without losing out
Android feels neither here neither there
It's bad on a TV set top box,laptop,netbook,tablets(nexus 7 to an extent is an exception) and a phone
Windows NT core and RT running on all Microsoft devices and unix core on mac and ios have proven perfection which android doesn't match up to
Android has its own pros but since that's all people seems to be aware of I'm not stating all of them still for the sake of being unbiased i must admit androids flexibility of roms,default apps can boost an older phones life span for a longer time,something wp7 lacked and hence many didnt even give wp8 a fair shot and switched to ios and android
This time it's different Microsoft has kept pushing updates in a seamless manner for every device (dev preview for icon etc till they get cyan)
Android fragmentation will always haunt it
It probably will never change officially atleast,there's always cyanogenmod though

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
android still lags on lower hardware,that still hasnt changed
even the battery life is still bad
my friends S5 lags like a gif image,im a consumer i dont care if its touchwiz,sense UI etc i just know android isnt working properly on some expensive handsets and loads of mid and low range handsets

Samsung has been giving Android a bad name in the industry for quite some time but judging an operating system by just one OEM, is not logical.

In the Windows Phone industry, say if I had bought an HTC 8S or Huawei Windows Phone just an year ago or a Lumia 810 and they lost support I could go rage on the internet and say "WP SUCKS!!!!"

But there are replacements in the market, the Lumia range is getting some pretty amazing support.

Similarly while some Android OEMs may not give updates, there is a solution. Motorola's low end devices have been getting pretty good updates, and with the Android ONE program launching soon it'll get better.

If you're friend's Galaxy S5 lags, he has replacements for example the HTC One, LG G3, Nexus 5 or a Motorola X. All of those devices are similarly priced, very fluid, etc.

As far as the low end side goes, go and watch Pocketnow's(one of your favorite reviewers) Moto G or E review, or Android Authority's speed tests. Those devices display that Android doesn't need beastly specifications to run like a BOSS. :D

Battery life is a subjective matter, it is hardware dependent and software as well. Many of the reviewers that(even those that are biased) agree that the records for the best battery lives usually go to Android handsets(not all of them, but specifc ones).

There are Windows Phones out there that people say have bad battery lives, Lumia 930 is an example.

All OSes copy each other, agreed, but android copies more as compared to any other OS. say if iOS /windows copies 1 or 2 features(they are not of android), then Android copies 10 to 20 features which are from iOS/windows. Reason? Its an open source OS & a child's play to jailbreak it. Also different companies give different features & many of them don't mind copying iOS/Windows(that doesn't mean now Android looks like iOS or Windows). Hence they don't even mind if their phone looks like an iPhone. You have got so many updates from alpha to kit Kat, still android lags. My friends note 3 lags. Android is a power hungry OS, all the budget phones with lower processors lag & all the high end phones are the ones that do not lag(sometimes). Windows / iOS is not a power hungry OS, it runs smoothly on single /dual core processors. I have my old Lumia 710, which has only 1.4 GHz single core processor, still it runs buttery smooth(even when it had 1mb memory remaining it didn't lag) That's certainly not the case with android. Android phones are also not the most sturdy ones, but Nokia phones surely are. Android just has apps/games etc, but as an OS it lags. It lacks quality like ios/Windows. Android is surely a more power hungry OS as compared to iOS /windows. IPhones have the best touch response, Android comes last with windows on 2nd spot. Network data usage is maximum in Android, minimum in windows. There are many aspects where Android lags behind windows /iOS, which many people ignore

While I have countless times agreed that Android has copied features here and there. Most experts would disagree with you, Android has possibly copied the least compared to other operating systems around.

I can't believe people on the WPcentral forum who have no idea at all about what open source means and it's advantages and disadvantages.

Android being open source is one of the biggest benefits of the operating system, many of Android's innovations have come from what people had made in Custom ROMs.

You need to educate yourself on the definition of open source, the definition of rooting and jail breaking:

Rooting & Jailbreaking: Explained!: http://youtu.be/uO0Q7SMZvfg

Do you know what you can do if you root an Android device today? Over clock it, you can record the screen directly from the phone, improve battery life or performance by miles, get the latest version of Android, massive camera and/or video improvements, etc.

Being open source many of the features you see today in either iOS and Windows Phone originated from either Google itself, or those that rooted and made tweaks for Android devices.

Being open source does *NOT* mean that it makes it easier for Android to copy features, being open source and allowing modifications to be made is what makes Android the source of the most innovation in the tech industry.

I mean did you know where did the double tap to wake option came from? ROOT(custom ROMs to be more exact). And Nokia/Windows Phone found it pretty easy to copy that. Or maybe Android's sharing options? Windows Phone had no problem copying that. Or...copying notification centres with power toggles and swipeable notifciations...or battery stats and data/WIFI stats...or what about casting screens...tap to beam via NFC...multi volume control(media, ringtone, alarm)...what about storage stats, should I really go on?

While I could sit and argue with a knowledgeable iOS user all day(and I have) he could come up with some pretty good things that Apple made.

But I honestly don't see the argument that Windows Phone fans have, Windows Phone was launched many years later after Android and iOS, I mean they practically had to learn from mistakes of Android and iOS to be successful(which they still aren't) and obviously copied a lot of stuff(more than you can possibly imagine).

Maybe a Symbian user could even argue, but Windows Phone has brought very little to the table that it can call innovative.

Lag is a matter of how you see it. Android runs just as smoothly, in some aspects even smoother than Windows Phone if you have the latest iteration.

I agree that Samsung TouchWiz is very laggy, on low end and high end devices but you can't judge all Android devices based one a few OEMs that refuse that improve performance in their skins.

I had a single core 600 MHz 512 MB ram device called the HTC Explorer(Pico). Due to Android being open, it is still getting unofficial updates via Custom ROMs. I ran android 4.4 on it, and the 512 MB RAM optimization Google talks about it very real!

In fact I can confidentially say that my single core device running KitKat multitasking faster than my dual core Lumia 520 running Windows Phone 8.

Android isn't laggy, not is it incomplete. It's one of the most polished and fluid, and the most functional OS out there. And Android L is also putting it in a whole new level of sophistication, performance and beauty.

The Moto X, G and E also do an amazing job at showing off that you don't need to pay a premium price to get great performance in a great overall package.

You can't judge all Android devices nor all Nokia devices for being sturdy. My Lumia 520 had quite a bit of dents and scratches despite being in a cover for most of the time.
I'm sure that Nokia had devices in the past that we're sturdy, but that doesn't mean all of them are. One of my friends dropped his 720 from pocket height and the screen straight up shattered, the same happened to my friend with a 920. I could even ask them for the photos if you want.

Durability also varies from phone to phone, but since Android is so versatile the "records" for strongest smart phones would probably be...Android.

You should search up the Kiocera Brigadier if durability is your main concern.

That's what Android is so special for, you need a phone of any specific type, you'll probably always find one tailored better towards your needs. I mean we even have waterproof devices!

As far as touch response times go, iOS was the king there for some time but it was bested by the Android One M8. Windows Phone was never at the top, nor is today. Here is a small speed/touch responsiveness test between Android and Windows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkokodBl9jQ

Data usage depends purely on how you use your data, it has very little to do with OS. Android has certain mechanisms put in place to help you conserve data better.

Oh and did you know about the data usage stats? Which Windows Phone shamelessly copied.

1410636998837.jpg
1410637022087.jpg

Maybe there are things which Windows Phone does better than Android, every OS has something great about it.

However having used both Android and Windows Phone for quite a bit of time I can say that most of the issues you have pointed out in your post hold no real truth behind them.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
But since Samsung is the no 1 oem for android I don't see why people will get another android after that ,as a consumer no one cares s long as it works

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
@salmanahmad

First of all I made a very silly remark by saying jailbreak for Android. I am sorry for that.

Get this straight into your head, I've been repeatedly saying this before & even telling you now, from the start your remarks have been totally baseless/pointless. Just because Windows came after Android doesn't mean it has copied Android, all that notifications crap, swiping notifications, all of what you said is totally rubbish. Everyone knows Android copies more than any other OS, except *You*. About rooting & all that you said that it unlocks all the features, you can get latest software update, I know that very well. If an Android is upgradable to ICS & you put jelly bean in it, it not only lags, it hangs a lot. My friends used to do all that crap before, now nobody updates their phone beyond its limit, so no point in having those new features which can't even work properly.

I said that iOS has the best touch response, androids phones are worst, windows is second. I never talked about speed. As far as speed is concerned, iPhones are the best, windows is 2nd. YouTube has hundreds of videos which shows comparison of iPhone 4/4s, with windows 7.5/7.8. In all of them windows performs many tasks faster than iPhone4. These videos were not only for comparison sake, it were challenges that I an iPhone 4 wins, the winner would be given $100-500. That was only about Windows 7.5/7.8, we all know Windows 8 was more faster, & the recent 8.1 is even faster. You said iPhones were fastest, I accept that, but in some tasks, windows is even more faster, Android is nowhere. Talking about durability, my 6-7 friends own a Micromax canvas hd, only 1 of them remains whose screen is not broken. Rest of my friends phones broke within a mont or even lesser time, even when canvas hd has a gorilla glass. My friend bought samsung mega(₹24000) 2 months ago, his phone broke in less than two weeks, when it fell for the first time. He lost his money buying such a BS phone, I really felt sorry for him.

Talking about Nokia durability, do u know that a Lumia 920 which was crushed under a 23 ton caterpillar truck was still able to make phone calls, receive messages & its touchscreen worked! Talking about 520, it saved a cops life as the bullet hit his phone, not him. Even x2 once saved a mans life when a bullet hit his phone. A boy lost his Lumia 800 in a lake, he found I after 2&half months, It still worked, that's Nokia durability. Talking about data usage. Do you know many of the people keep their data on, even when they are not using it. At that time a small amount of data is lost even when you don't use it. That data consumption is maximum in Android, nearly 70% more than Windows

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
This is the touch response time for some of the devices. I don't see Android the best one. In this graph, Nokia Lumia 928 is mentioned, but 925 even has a better touch response than 928

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_agawi-test-results.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_agawi-test-results.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 12

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
But since Samsung is the no 1 oem for android I don't see why people will get another android after that ,as a consumer no one cares s long as it works

Actually what I've noticed is that people know that TouchWiz lags.

One of my teachers in school knows a whole lot about Android, he teaches us Accounting. He owns a Note 3 and he knows that it does get laggy in places, but he is still buying a Note 4 soon.

Many of Samsung's consumers don't care about minor lag here and there, but if someone does you always have lagless devices like the HTC One M8 or Nexus 5.

@salmanahmad

First of all I made a very silly remark by saying jailbreak for Android. I am sorry for that.

Get this straight into your head, I've been repeatedly saying this before & even telling you now, from the start your remarks have been totally baseless/pointless. Just because Windows came after Android doesn't mean it has copied Android, all that notifications crap, swiping notifications, all of what you said is totally rubbish. Everyone knows Android copies more than any other OS, except *You*. About rooting & all that you said that it unlocks all the features, you can get latest software update, I know that very well. If an Android is upgradable to ICS & you put jelly bean in it, it not only lags, it hangs a lot. My friends used to do all that crap before, now nobody updates their phone beyond its limit, so no point in having those new features which can't even work properly.

I said that iOS has the best touch response, androids phones are worst, windows is second. I never talked about speed. As far as speed is concerned, iPhones are the best, windows is 2nd. YouTube has hundreds of videos which shows comparison of iPhone 4/4s, with windows 7.5/7.8. In all of them windows performs many tasks faster than iPhone4. These videos were not only for comparison sake, it were challenges that I an iPhone 4 wins, the winner would be given $100-500. That was only about Windows 7.5/7.8, we all know Windows 8 was more faster, & the recent 8.1 is even faster. You said iPhones were fastest, I accept that, but in some tasks, windows is even more faster, Android is nowhere. Talking about durability, my 6-7 friends own a Micromax canvas hd, only 1 of them remains whose screen is not broken. Rest of my friends phones broke within a mont or even lesser time, even when canvas hd has a gorilla glass. My friend bought samsung mega(₹24000) 2 months ago, his phone broke in less than two weeks, when it fell for the first time. He lost his money buying such a BS phone, I really felt sorry for him.

Talking about Nokia durability, do u know that a Lumia 920 which was crushed under a 23 ton caterpillar truck was still able to make phone calls, receive messages & its touchscreen worked! Talking about 520, it saved a cops life as the bullet hit his phone, not him. Even x2 once saved a mans life when a bullet hit his phone. A boy lost his Lumia 800 in a lake, he found I after 2&half months, It still worked, that's Nokia durability. Talking about data usage. Do you know many of the people keep their data on, even when they are not using it. At that time a small amount of data is lost even when you don't use it. That data consumption is maximum in Android, nearly 70% more than Windows

This is the touch response time for some of the devices. I don't see Android the best one. In this graph, Nokia Lumia 928 is mentioned, but 925 even has a better touch response than 928

First of all my arguments are way more logical than yours.

Experts and unbiased Android users would also agree with the fact that all OSes copy each other, but in terms of copying the companies on top would either be Samsung or Apple, not Android or Google as a whole.

You say in your post that "everyone" knows that Android copies most, is that why I found more articles on iOS copying Android than vice versa? Is that why I get a massive amount of thumbs up on a lot of my comments about iPhone?

1410689805548.jpg

Not everyone, especially not experts, believe that Android copies the most. You fail to provide any information to back up your statement.

And why are notification centre, power toggles and swipeable notifications rubbish? Did Android not come up with most of these features before Windows Phone? Did Windows Phone not copy them?

I know the truth is a bit hard for you to understand, but it's okay.

Moving on, Google has improved performance with every update. Not degraded it.

My HTC Explorer launched with Android 2.3, when I ran Android 4.0 on it, eventually moving onto Android 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 the device kept getting faster and faster, with more features and stability. And what do you mean no one updates the phone beyond the limit? The HTC Explorer XDA group has over 5000 members, many of them which have updated their device to the latest version.

You clearly have no idea about how Android works.

But Android development works best with Snapfragon SOCs, not Mediatek. Your friends had problems updating or getting bugs because they probably had phones with terrible developer support, it's not Google's fault.

Please watch this video, not only does it talk about speed but the touch response is also shown between the 1520 and M8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkokodBl9jQ

While I admit that iOS has the best performance in mobile operating systems primarily because of having more powerful cores and better optimization, Android stands in second place in speed(not Windows Phone). Just watch the video to see it for yourself.

Plus Android is soon getting support for SOCs such as the Tegra K1 64 bit edition, it's the strongest mobile SOC out there which is thankfully dual core(not quad) and I'm pretty sure it will straight up destroy the competition when it arrives, though Android still destroys Windows Phone.

People have also managed to shatter their Lumia 1520 displays. And HTC also has a history of devices that havr saved people from bullets. Sony's Xperia Z1 survived over 3 weeks in salt water. Durability varies from phone to phone, there is no relevance of this here.

I searched up about data consumption on Android and it's true that it does consume more data than rivals, but there are logical reasons for this.

Android has higher resolution displays, 1080p and 2K. Wheras iOS and Windows Phone(ot at least the wide majority of people) using them have sub 720p displays.

Moving on Android can simply "do" more in the background, having owned a Lumia 520 and now owning an android device, I download stuff a lot more using the amazing download managers(thus the extra consumption).

Not to mention that Google's YouTube app supports 1080p and 1440p playback.

Plus you can limit background data wastage by a simple option in settings.

While Android may use more data there are logical reasons for it.

As far as the touch response time graph goes, it is outdated. But even despite that Windows Phone is not on top. iOS, Android and at the end Windows Phone.

Since then touch responsiveness has improved dramatically on Android, again watch this to see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkokodBl9jQ

Android is king in innovation, implementation and features. 😎

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
^^Lol no dude,i must agree with Psoham777,Psoham777 has already proven his points
as for your "experience" on mobiles,comparing a 520 to a nexus 5 is laughable and illogical because they are entirely different handsets and price brackets

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
^^Lol no dude,i must agree with Psoham777,Psoham777 has already proven his points
as for your "experience" on mobiles,comparing a 520 to a nexus 5 is laughable and illogical because they are entirely different handsets and price brackets

I'm not comparing a Nexus 5 to a 520. I'm comparing operating systems as a whole.

I compared the Lumia 520 to my 2011 device, HTC Explorer running Android 4.4, not my Nexus.

I've proved him wrong more than once. He didn't even know about what open source or rooting was, how could he know anything about Android and what makes it special?

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Android has always had transparent widgets as far as I know. And the lock screen doesn't seem to be doing anything new either.

+1 and widgets are alot more than tiles.

I rather seeing WP copying android (apps in folders, notification center - this makes WP more useable so fine by me). Actually beside the share wifi code and perhaps hubs in some ways (my sgs had something also called a hub , but didn't bother to check it out)..

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm not comparing a Nexus 5 to a 520. I'm comparing operating systems as a whole.

I compared the Lumia 520 to my 2011 device, HTC Explorer running Android 4.4, not my Nexus.

I've proved him wrong more than once. He didn't even know about what open source or rooting was, how could he know anything about Android and what makes it special?

nah but his points made more sense overall
htc explorer was a poorly made phone imho,my friend has one which he still uses(he dropped his iphone in a puddle),running CM and it lags like anything,i dont see how you can compare it to a 520

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
@salmanahmad
Drill this into your head
First of all you don't understand what I say, you assume anything that comes to your mind, give some rubbish info about it, then you say you proved me wrong. Are you ever into your senses? Do you even think while speaking? I already said previously you have so many iPhone look alike phones. Android when it came into the market, at that time buying an iPhone was a luxury. Everyone wanted an iPhone, but it was too costly. At that time Nokia was dominating the market, people started buying android because it looked similar to iOS. That's how it gained popularity, then android started pushing out updates, which helped people differentiate between ios & android. How many times have I said that & how many times more do i have to repeat it? You think windows came after android, so it copied android. Nonsense. All those crap you told about Android that it drains more battery because it has 2k displays & all, its totally rubbish. What would you say about low end phones. It primarily depends on the OS, regarding battery drain & power consumption & secondarily on displays& all what you told. Also android has the most ads, 70%, iOS has around 50% & windows10%. I've already told in my previous posts that android is a power hungry OS, it needs a higher processor to run smoothly as compared to iOS or Windows, there are thousands of sites who say that. I've also told that there are hundreds of videos on YouTube which shows that windows 7.5/7.8 is faster than iPhone 4. How many times would you make me repeat one & the same thing. How many Times? Until android came, only computers were the one to get viruses & now its normal to get a virus in Android, isn't it? I once thought nexus were the best Android phones, until my friend bought a nexus 5 before 2 months. He got a virus in his phone in just 1 week. That's the power of Android.
I have my 1320, it once only had 760 kb phone memory remaining because it was on wp8 before 2 months(at that time apps & games couldn't be moved to sd card). It still didn't lag while running apps or games, my old Lumia 710 had 1mb free memory, it still didn't lag a bit. You think that your Android phone doesn't lag, so fill up your phone memory to an extent what I did, if then your android phone doesn't lag, then I might say you are lucky

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
^^in addition to your points,salmanahmad doesnt seem to realize that symbian ,windows mobile,meego and maemo are owned by Ms and came before android
so android did copy them and ios.windows phone is based on meego on the N9

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
^^in addition to your points,salmanahmad doesnt seem to realize that symbian ,windows mobile,meego and maemo are owned by Ms and came before android
so android did copy them and ios.windows phone is based on meego on the N9

He just won't understand anything. How could people be so stubborn, keep running away from truth? I am tired of posting all the info again & again.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I read some WP fans are complaining about Android virus.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AI3OU_CvMZs

This video explains how do Android users get virus.

My sister also use Android phone.
Never got virus in her phone..

Tell your friend to stop downloading apps from torrent.
At least watch this video.

If virus make OS bad then hell Windows is worst OS in history.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

My friend doesn't use torrent, still got a virus, I don't know why.
I download torrents on my PC, no viruses at all even when I am not a premium user

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

play store has more viruses than every torrent ever made and every windows virus put together

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
My friend doesn't use torrent, still got a virus, I don't know why.
I download torrents on my PC, no viruses at all even when I am not a premium user

Your friends must have done something stupid. You OS doesn't make virus itself. does it?
As I said my sis using Android phone since 2011 never got any virus till now but her laptop, well that's a different story.

play store has more viruses than every torrent ever made and every windows virus put together

No. Play store is safe. If you have some proof show me.

Anyway after reading you guys comment I recall a comment(i do not recall the user name)
he said something like this.
"Their are only two places where you can read about Android Virus
One is Antivirus website
second is WindowsPhone community"

LOL!, This comment is so true & funny at same time.

Last edited:

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Your friends must have done something stupid. You OS doesn't make virus itself. does it?
As I said my sis using Android phone since 2011 never got any virus till now but her laptop, well that's a different story.

No Play store if safe. If you have some proof show me.

Anyway after reading you guys comment I recall a comment(i do not recall the user name)
he said something like this.
"Their are only two places where you can read about Android Virus
One is Antivirus website
second is WindowsPhone community"

LOL!, This comment is so true & funny at same time.

here you go from google search itself
https://www.google.co.in/webhp?sour...37&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=play store malware

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb