Adidas miCoach train & run..

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Is it any good?

I'm on the market for a new heart rate monitor that works with WP8.1 and have just seen the miCoach app which looks extremely impressive. Adidas sell a Bluetooth SMART hrm for a reasonable ?45 which is tempting too.

At present, it seems the only alternatives are Runtastic and Sports Tracker which both have their pros and cons. The Runtastic Pro app is better than Sports Tracker but they admittedly don't seem fussed with WP app and hardware development so it's impossible to tell if their app and services will improve for WP users. I feel a lot of loyalty towards Sports Tracker as I have been using their apps and devices since the Symbian days. Their old and now discontinued Symbian app is miles better than their current WP release and although they say they are committed to improving their WP stuff, they're unable to advise when users can expect updates. Their iOS and Android users are well looked after though.

That kinda leaves me with Adidas. Massive brand, huge customer base. A very well reviewed WP app and the strong likelihood of further updates (app updated this week!) and new devices.

Also, both the ST and Runtastic HRMs are more expensive than the Adidas one.

So, are their any miCoach users here? If yes, how is the app and do you use the Smart HRM on WP8.1? Can the HRM be paired with a watch as well as a phone?

Are there any other apps and/or devices that I should consider?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
30km ride with miCoach and I have to say that I'm impressed! It's nice to have Jess Ennis to cheer me along.

There's good workout info including graph data which I haven't seen for any other apps that support HRMs, the GPS seems reliable and it's an eye catching app.

I seriously leaning towards miCoach as my permanent fitness app choice.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Thinking about ditching the use of apps for cycling and just using a Garmin with hrm and cadence sensor. Can import/export routes and data and don't have to worry about the battery running out so can just keep my phone somewhere for calls and/or photos.

danijel0000

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I hate it for going offline with GPS when screen turns off. Wanted to give it a shot, but disappointed me with that. Maybe it could be adjusted in settings, I don't know.
Anyway, I'm loyal to Endomondo. Didn't let me down for 3 years now ;)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I hate it for going offline with GPS when screen turns off. Wanted to give it a shot, but disappointed me with that. Maybe it could be adjusted in settings, I don't know.
Anyway, I'm loyal to Endomondo. Didn't let me down for 3 years now ;)

I've had no probs with GPS when the screen is off on miCoach. I usually keep my phone in my bum bag around my waist. I take it out now and then to pause the recording if I stop somewhere to take a photo and the session records well. However, there have been some problems though.

Decided on trying a new route the other day. Was part way round when I decided to take a few photos of some hay bales in a field and was just switching from camera to miCoach to restart and my 1020 completely froze. Carried on my route and got home then I had to soft reset the phone. After I opened miCoach again it restored my previous workout but only to the point where the phone froze which is understandable and better than nothing.

Also, I've not long returned from a ride today. Stopped to take a few photos, paused and resumed miCoach and few times and no probs then I had to stop to inspect my back wheel so thought I'd pause miCoach again but it wasn't responsive. Just a blank screen. All other phone apps and operations seemed to be working ok so I carried on home. It still wasn't responding at home so I had to force close the app and after restarting it gave me the option of restoring the workout. I was pleased to see the entire route saved but it's a little annoying having to deal with the glitches, although it may be a WP8.1 thing and not the fault of the app.

Either way, I'm expecting far better performance from my Garmin when I get it! :)

alphablue597

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm also using this app for cycling and I'm very happy with it. Works great, after the last update looks nice, it's free, what else to say...
Is it possible to add pushups workouts? You can add football, basketball, custom workouts, but I can't find pushups?

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm also using this app for cycling and I'm very happy with it. Works great, after the last update looks nice, it's free, what else to say...
Is it possible to add pushups workouts? You can add football, basketball, custom workouts, but I can't find pushups?

Do you use their HRM and/or any other devices? If yes, how do they work please?

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Will hopefully have my Garmin Edge 510 incl. HRM and cadence sensor tomorrow at some point assuming that I'm suitably wowed when I test it in the shop. If all goes well, I should be able to keep my phone tucked away whilst cycling, only taking it out to take photos (when the Garmin will auto pause).

I like the adidas app. I mean, it's not everyday when you hear Jess Ennis telling you to go faster but besides that, you have a lot of info to hand post workout but I've just been looking for something just that little bit more reliable and comprehensive and Garmin ticks the boxes.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow...what a difference the Garmin makes. Admittedly, it hasn't got the most user-friendly interface and takes a little getting used, but it's more than worth it with the information it can gather. Garmin Connect is superb too...just wish WP would see a compatible app. I sent Garmin UK a Tweet earlier to enquire if they had any plans on such an app and the response was that they could not say if an app would be made, let alone when which was a little disappointing.

The only other downpoints regarding the Garmin is the touch screen isn't the most responsive and the cadence sensor recording seems a little intermittent but that may be down to how I have set it up so will have a tinker with it later.

Overall, pretty pleased with the investment....now it's time to uninstall miCoach, Sports Tracker, Run the Map and Runtastic!!

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Got a refund for the 510 as I found it a little buggy. The touch screen bordered on being dangerous to operate during rides as it would take a number of gesture before you got the response you wanted. Auto pause kept kicking in when climbing hills, even though I had set to to trigger when stopped.

Got an Edge 1000 instead and after a few days use, I'm pleased with the difference. The screen is excellent and very responsive, auto pause works as it should. There have been a couple of 'mishaps' with the tbt routing but overall, it has been very good.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've been using it since the summer, when I was doing a lot of walking/jogging. Worked great. Now I've been doing some bike riding, keep it in my bike pouch, but it always gets shut off or paused. Stops recording data after a couple of minutes and never completes the ride. Don't know if when the phone goes to lock screen if it shuts it down and stops recording, can't figure out why or how to get it to stay on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes